Talking-Soccer.com  

Go Back   Talking-Soccer.com > Soccer By Region / State > Region 1 > New York

Notices

New York Discussions about New York soccer.

Old 11-08-2017
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I dont and i never said i did. The cost of youth sports is ridiculous.
Of course you do, otherwise why would you bring it up?

On a time-on-the-field vs. other activities, it's less. Other pursuits cost a ton more. Works out to be about $10/hr. Pretty good bargain if you ask me.
Old 11-08-2017
Unregistered

Quote:

On a time-on-the-field vs. other activities, it's less. Other pursuits cost a ton more. Works out to be about $10/hr. Pretty good bargain if you ask me.
Good point. I've always managed my son's town teams and told parents that our budget worked out to $12/hr per kid. Cost-wise it worked out to the cost of a supervised playdate somewhere.

$10 for an hour of soccer practice versus $70/hr for a violin lesson ... Ain't gonna be a professional at either, me thinks.
Old 11-09-2017
Unregistered

Quote:

I doubt your numbers are accurate for a kid playing ECNL of GDA soccer. Travel, hotels and car rental alone is 5k+
Old 11-09-2017
Unregistered

Quote:
I doubt your numbers are accurate for a kid playing ECNL of GDA soccer. Travel, hotels and car rental alone is 5k+
This is why the whole focus on "pay to play" is absurd. It is not the team fees that is the problem really. It is the amount of travel, the commitment that requires from entire families and cost for spending weekends away so often. A $2,500 team fee is tough but not awful, especially when so many teams give scholarships. It is the $5k+ and the amount of time away that makes it prohibitive for families of lower income, single parents, multiple kids playing, etc.
Old 11-09-2017
Unregistered

Quote:
This is why the whole focus on "pay to play" is absurd. It is not the team fees that is the problem really. It is the amount of travel, the commitment that requires from entire families and cost for spending weekends away so often. A $2,500 team fee is tough but not awful, especially when so many teams give scholarships. It is the $5k+ and the amount of time away that makes it prohibitive for families of lower income, single parents, multiple kids playing, etc.
granted this family is over the top but it demonstrates much of what you're talking about. I know many working class families, both parents working that had to limit their participation and turn down some opportunities because of cost, time and strain on the entire family.

http://time.com/money/4037391/soccer...family-budget/