• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A brand new level of INSANITY

Paul Attfield

From Monday's Globe and Mail
    Published on Sunday, Aug. 08, 2010 9:17PM EDT

Parents and soccer officials in the Greater Toronto Area are up in arms after an incident at an under-13 game last month in which a parent allegedly threatened an assistant referee with a gun.

The York Region Soccer Association has refused to assign officials to games involving North Scarborough Soccer Club’s under-13 team, better known as the Bulldogs, since July 12. On that day, a parent of a Bulldogs player approached an assistant referee after a controversial decision during a 1-0 loss to the Aurora Stingers and allegedly revealed a weapon tucked into his belt. Police were called by an Aurora parent, but no charges were laid. Neither the official nor the parent has been identified.

Four teams – the Woodbridge Strikers, Vaughan Azzurri, Kleinburg Nobleton Reds and most recently the Leaside Tigers, who were due to play the Bulldogs Monday night – have all since refused to play North Scarborough.

“There was the threat that there was a weapon,” said Kent Green, secretary of the YRSA. “Whether a weapon was seen or not seen is not really the point. This is youth soccer and the district’s position, quite frankly, is that we’re not prepared to put our referees in jeopardy.”

Aurora head coach Brian Cooper was reluctant to divulge details.

“We had quite the incident,” he said. “However, I don’t know if I want to see it all over the newspapers. If that’s in, people are going to go, ‘Wow,’ and that’s not really good for soccer, is it? I’m not saying we want to shove it under the carpet either.”

The North Scarborough Soccer Club – which has helped produce players such as Toronto FC midfielder and Canadian international Julian de Guzman – is denying any such incident took place.

“It’s just propaganda, nothing like that happened,” said club president Byron McCormack. “No, absolutely not. It’s not a very responsible statement and I don’t know who’s making those statements.”

However, Mr. McCormack had no explanation for other teams’ unwillingness to play games against the Bulldogs.

“I don’t even know why those games were postponed. I’m still trying to get an answer from the league,” he said. “They haven’t been able to tell me the reason why. I have no idea why they’ve done that and I intend to find out.”

However, parents of the Leaside Tigers under-13 side, which was due to play host to North Scarborough at Flemingdon Park Monday night, are in no doubt as to the reason why they have decided not to play the game.

“We’re refusing to play them because of security purposes,” said the parent of one of the Leaside players, asking that his name be withheld. “Even [Leaside Tigers executive director] John Morgan has said, ‘I’ll hire a police officer or two,’ and I said, ‘Why should we have a cop at a soccer game for 13-year-olds? That’s just stupid.”

The Central Soccer League, in which all the teams compete, held a disciplinary meeting for North Scarborough last Thursday, but refused to comment on the outcome either by phone or by e-mail. A call to the Ontario Soccer Association, which governs the sport in the province, was not returned.

The Leaside parents are concerned that little has been done in the intervening month to resolve the issue.

“Nobody seems to want to talk,” said the same parent. “We’ve tried talking to the CSL and the OSA and we basically know more than we’re supposed to know and they’re trying to keep it hush-hush.

“You know, I kept my son out of hockey because I thought hockey was bad, but when you start bringing a gun to a soccer game for 13-year-olds, then you’ve got issues. It’s got to be dealt with, and the CSL doesn’t seem to want to deal with these things.”

Another Leaside parent believes it’s largely due to a lack of respect toward officials.

“They are out of control some of these people, and nobody’s helping the referee or linesmen at all,” said James Gardner. “They’re not big games – there’s 30 parents maybe at a good game, which is not a lot of people, but still, they do act up.”

Once you have government subsidized health care, then this is what happens.

Comment

So.....all that and no proof of a weapon. Was this article even worth posting?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        So.....all that and no proof of a weapon. Was this article even worth posting?
        Probably not worth posting because it didn't happen at a NEFC game

Comment

Probably not worth posting because it didn't happen at a NEFC game
          I would expect it from an NSU game.

Comment

Once you have government subsidized health care, then this is what happens.
            Get a grip you nutcase. When you turn 65 will you refuse Medicare? The US is the only modern country in the world without government sponsered health care for all its citizens. Most American want it. Only the health care industry, millionaires, and nutcase Republicans are against it.

Comment

Here is an item from the minutes of a 2003 meeting of the Virginia Youth Soccer Association. It involves a dad who was upset that his daughter had been cut:

Charles David Akers from Roanoke County was found gulity of pointing a loaded rifle at a coach. A motion was made and seconded that Charles David Akers be banned from all soccer activities under the jurisdictions of VYSA, US Youth Soccer and USSF, including games and practices, indefinitely. The motion was approved.
              The minutes are at http://www.vysa.com/administration/34949/65914.html

Since Virginia is currently suing the federal government over the new health care law, I submit that health care policy may not be the explanation. :)

Comment

Get a grip you nutcase. When you turn 65 will you refuse Medicare? The US is the only modern country in the world without government sponsered health care for all its citizens. Most American want it. Only the health care industry, millionaires, and nutcase Republicans are against it.
                I'd like to live in a place where an opposing viewpoint and opinion doesn't cause some a-hole to label me as a nutcase.

If anyone is acting like a "nutcase" it would the violent overeaction of a raving Democrat. Lighten up, my liberal friend. Go to work on figuring out how to tax gay marriage, and then we can continue the discussion in the political thread. Where it belongs.

Comment

I'd like to live in a place where an opposing viewpoint and opinion doesn't cause some a-hole to label me as a nutcase.

If anyone is acting like a "nutcase" it would the violent overeaction of a raving Democrat. Lighten up, my liberal friend. Go to work on figuring out how to tax gay marriage, and then we can continue the discussion in the political thread. Where it belongs.
                  Different poster. You are the one who started this by tossing in something from way beyond left field that had no connection at all to the thread.

Comment

Most Americans want Obamacare repealed now that they are realizing just how much it's really going to cost middle class Americans. Current Rasmussen poll says 55% for repeal, 38% oppose repeal.

Comment

I believe the poster was inserting a bit of levity to the thread. No need to call him names.

Comment

Different poster. You are the one who started this by tossing in something from way beyond left field that had no connection at all to the thread.
                        No actually the person who called this person a "nutcase" was the one who started it. The post was obviously a bit of humorous sarcasm, something that the left seems unable to grasp these days without getting all bent out of shape. I guess I'd lose my sense of humor too if I had voted for "hope and change" only to find out it was all a myth.

Comment

No actually the person who called this person a "nutcase" was the one who started it. The post was obviously a bit of humorous sarcasm, something that the left seems unable to grasp these days without getting all bent out of shape. I guess I'd lose my sense of humor too if I had voted for "hope and change" only to find out it was all a myth.
                          So someone from the "right" was injecting some humorous sarcasm? You're right, I don't get it. The tie-in to the original post is definitely beyond me. And since you took the time to get in even more shots, what exactly do you think would be going so much better with a different administration? BTW, since some of you are so ultra-sensitive to racism, repeatedly referring to health care reform -- which was a major running point for BOTH parties -- as "ObamaCare" is racist. Everytime someone says it they are trying to communicate a definite image and derogatory inferences.

Comment

Ah, why don't both of you cut it out? None of the rest of us are interested in the sniping.

Comment

So someone from the "right" was injecting some humorous sarcasm? You're right, I don't get it. The tie-in to the original post is definitely beyond me. And since you took the time to get in even more shots, what exactly do you think would be going so much better with a different administration? BTW, since some of you are so ultra-sensitive to racism, repeatedly referring to health care reform -- which was a major running point for BOTH parties -- as "ObamaCare" is racist. Everytime someone says it they are trying to communicate a definite image and derogatory inferences.
                              Let me spell it out for you. The article is about an incident that took place in Toronto, Canada, a country with government subsidized health care. The poster was using tongue in cheek humor to suggest the incident was related to government subsidized health care. Very simple humor, but obviously over your head.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X