•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Bad parents are a problem
    Bad refs overall are a problem
    Most refs (good or bad) enforcing the laws of the game for boys games but not for girls is more than a problem - it’s unacceptable and should be remedied immediately by OYSA.
    We can & should get rid of all the bad parents.
    We can train, pay and treat refs with respect to get better refs.
    But how do we change the overwhelming practice of both good and bad refs only enforcing the rules of the game in boys matches? Girls matches have turned into WWF with all the swallowed whistles and cards that never come out even after multiple warnings.

Comment

Nobody really cares. Refereeing is such an undesirable position that you aren’t getting people who care.

Maybe get more female referees? But then again refereeing isn’t desirable so I have no idea how you get women to want to do it.

My experience is opposite. I see ticky tacky fouls called in girls games that never would be a foul in boys games.

Comment

Nobody really cares. Refereeing is such an undesirable position that you aren’t getting people who care.

Maybe get more female referees? But then again refereeing isn’t desirable so I have no idea how you get women to want to do it.

My experience is opposite. I see ticky tacky fouls called in girls games that never would be a foul in boys games.
        I have two boys and a girl. Both the boys stuck it out as refs. One still does it in college for beer money and the other plays in college and doesn't have time. My daughter didn't last long in premier, despite the fact that she's really quite tough in all other aspects of her life. She got SCREAMED at by a coach in her 2nd game (U11, no joke) when she was 14. The other coach told her she was right yet didn't defend her during the game. the more yelling by parents (who don't know the rules) in other games. She has played since she was 5, plays at a high level in club + a HS starter, will play in college. She knows the game. She still refs little kid rec soccer because it generally is more low key and it can be fun watching coaches herding kindergartners like cats. Yet even there she's seen a ramp up with parent absurdity. The pay isn't nearly as good as club, but it's a lot less BS.

Maybe my boys are just more go with the flow" people? Not sure. But there definitely are far fewer female refs than male so I don't think my kids are that different.

Comment

I have two boys and a girl. Both the boys stuck it out as refs. One still does it in college for beer money and the other plays in college and doesn't have time. My daughter didn't last long in premier, despite the fact that she's really quite tough in all other aspects of her life. She got SCREAMED at by a coach in her 2nd game (U11, no joke) when she was 14. The other coach told her she was right yet didn't defend her during the game. the more yelling by parents (who don't know the rules) in other games. She has played since she was 5, plays at a high level in club + a HS starter, will play in college. She knows the game. She still refs little kid rec soccer because it generally is more low key and it can be fun watching coaches herding kindergartners like cats. Yet even there she's seen a ramp up with parent absurdity. The pay isn't nearly as good as club, but it's a lot less BS.

Maybe my boys are just more go with the flow" people? Not sure. But there definitely are far fewer female refs than male so I don't think my kids are that different.
          My daughter, who is typically very thick skinned, had the same experience. Very first game she referred was a uLittles rec game. A dad came across the field at halftime to get in her face for not calling every hand ball. At that age (5), calling every single handball meant there was no flow to the game at all. The fact that a grown man felt comfortable getting in the face of a 14 year old official tells you everything you need to know. And just like your experience, neither coach (both were grown men) stood up for her although both coaches told her after the dad stormed away that they appreciated her letting the kids play and not calling every handball.

Comment

These last 2 posts are bumming me out in part because i think it is men - not woemn who have ayed the game - that have a problem enforcing the laws of the game in girls soccer games.

Comment

These last 2 posts are bumming me out in part because i think it is men - not women who have played the game - that have a problem enforcing the laws of the game in girls soccer games.

Comment

The good refs and the bad refs overwhelmingly enforce the laws of the game in boys games but swallow their whistle in girls games. Even if we got rid of all the bad parents and got hundreds of top notch refs, they’d still swallow their whistles in girls games. Not sure why but the stats don’t lie. Possible reasons include:
                1. They view the girls games like little kids games where they, rightfully when it’s little kids, are taught to let the littles play. Let’s face it, older girls playing is about the speed of little boys. Not trying to be sexist here but the USWNT regularly loses 0-5 to u15 boys teams.
                2.They don’t believe girls could be dirty/nasty even when they see it or hear it with their own eyes. Yes, I saw the trip/grab/full arm push/fub*tch comment but I don’t think that cute teenaged girl really meant to do that or maybe they just got a little carried away so I’m just going to let it slide...
                3.Maybe since girls are so much slower and weaker than the boys, the shove or grab or body slam not going for the ball doesn’t look quite as violent...

One tiny example. Saw a u18 girls game where the forward was going to an open goal in the box, and the defender ran and clumsily pushed/tripped/fell into the forward from behind without touching the ball at all. When the forwards coach yelled out “hey!”, the ref turned and said, “she didn’t mean to do it...” shrugged his shoulders & signaled to play on. The forwards coach muttered, “it’s still a foul and actually a red card...” But the players and the coach all just sort of shrugged it off and played on because it happens all the time in girls games. I don’t care how bad the ref, if the same thing happened in a boys game it would’ve been a red, a pk awarded and the other team playing with 10. Even a horrible ref would give a red 9/10 times if not every single time like that obvious.

Back to the MJ situation, considering all of the above, I can totally understand why he might yell at refs over player safety. Not sure I want to discourage him from that until our refs stop swallowing their whistles at girls games.

Perhaps it’s not that we need more referees but simply need to show referees the unbelievably lop sided stats and remind them to enforce the laws of the game by the book in girls games as well. Might help anyway.

Beyond that, parents please just shut up and watch your kids play.

Comment

I have been employing and managing people since the mid-80's.

Simple fact is that it is very, very difficult to change behaviors.

There needs to be more of a change than a new policy.

It would be expensive, but you could hire someone to evaluate every referee. Write up a formal observation. The problem is that you really can't afford to fire the bad ones or the ones "swallowing their whistle and not enforcing the laws of the game at girls games" because who would take their place?

Comment

I have been employing and managing people since the mid-80's.

Simple fact is that it is very, very difficult to change behaviors.

There needs to be more of a change than a new policy.

It would be expensive, but you could hire someone to evaluate every referee. Write up a formal observation. The problem is that you really can't afford to fire the bad ones or the ones "swallowing their whistle and not enforcing the laws of the game at girls games" because who would take their place?
                    Lmao. You've been in corporate America too long. "Write up a formal observation" for each referee for every soccer game played. That sounds easy enough. Go back to managing people. Smh

Comment

The good refs and the bad refs overwhelmingly enforce the laws of the game in boys games but swallow their whistle in girls games. Even if we got rid of all the bad parents and got hundreds of top notch refs, they’d still swallow their whistles in girls games. Not sure why but the stats don’t lie. Possible reasons include:
                      1. They view the girls games like little kids games where they, rightfully when it’s little kids, are taught to let the littles play. Let’s face it, older girls playing is about the speed of little boys. Not trying to be sexist here but the USWNT regularly loses 0-5 to u15 boys teams.
                      2.They don’t believe girls could be dirty/nasty even when they see it or hear it with their own eyes. Yes, I saw the trip/grab/full arm push/fub*tch comment but I don’t think that cute teenaged girl really meant to do that or maybe they just got a little carried away so I’m just going to let it slide...
                      3.Maybe since girls are so much slower and weaker than the boys, the shove or grab or body slam not going for the ball doesn’t look quite as violent...

One tiny example. Saw a u18 girls game where the forward was going to an open goal in the box, and the defender ran and clumsily pushed/tripped/fell into the forward from behind without touching the ball at all. When the forwards coach yelled out “hey!”, the ref turned and said, “she didn’t mean to do it...” shrugged his shoulders & signaled to play on. The forwards coach muttered, “it’s still a foul and actually a red card...” But the players and the coach all just sort of shrugged it off and played on because it happens all the time in girls games. I don’t care how bad the ref, if the same thing happened in a boys game it would’ve been a red, a pk awarded and the other team playing with 10. Even a horrible ref would give a red 9/10 times if not every single time like that obvious.

Back to the MJ situation, considering all of the above, I can totally understand why he might yell at refs over player safety. Not sure I want to discourage him from that until our refs stop swallowing their whistles at girls games.

Perhaps it’s not that we need more referees but simply need to show referees the unbelievably lop sided stats and remind them to enforce the laws of the game by the book in girls games as well. Might help anyway.

Beyond that, parents please just shut up and watch your kids play.
                      This discrepancy has been going on for years and years. Double standards everywhere. No one cares about the girls games. The refs probably aren’t even really paying attention in the girls games and so don’t call any fouls. The payback is that girls have more college soccer opportunities and do way better internationally. Let the poor boys get the the laws of the game enforced while they are youth, the girls are tough and can take the tougher physicality.

Comment

Lmao. You've been in corporate America too long. "Write up a formal observation" for each referee for every soccer game played. That sounds easy enough. Go back to managing people. Smh
                        Clearly reading isn't your strength.

What is your solution other than complaining?

OYSA putting out a memo that says "referees must enforce the laws of the game equally for boys and girls" will be about as effective as you screaming into your pillow at night before crying yourself to sleep.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                        Auto-Saved
                        x
                        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                        x
                        Working...
                        X