Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Serious: What is TBU doing that other clubs arent?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Serious: What is TBU doing that other clubs arent?

Since the beginning of the year TBU has announced at least 10 college commitments between the boys and girls. I’ve seen the WFF announce 1 and the chargers haven’t announced any. All this is via social media, so these numbers may not be 100% accurate. If this is accurate what do you think TBU is doing that these other clubs aren’t? Is it the coaches and/or parents advocating for the players, is it the talent, or could it just be that the other clubs aren’t announcing all of their commitments via social media?

Whether you’re a TBU fan or not, you can’t really argue with the fact that they’re leading the game in getting these young men and women playing at the level.

If I am being honest it is making the drive from Brandon out to TBU look better and better.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Since the beginning of the year TBU has announced at least 10 college commitments between the boys and girls. I’ve seen the WFF announce 1 and the chargers haven’t announced any. All this is via social media, so these numbers may not be 100% accurate. If this is accurate what do you think TBU is doing that these other clubs aren’t? Is it the coaches and/or parents advocating for the players, is it the talent, or could it just be that the other clubs aren’t announcing all of their commitments via social media?

Whether you’re a TBU fan or not, you can’t really argue with the fact that they’re leading the game in getting these young men and women playing at the level.

If I am being honest it is making the drive from Brandon out to TBU look better and better.
    Some clubs do a better job at it than others. FESA and Sunrise do a good job too. Seems like Texans do well for a small club. The DOC usually has a lot to do with it. If they have good contacts with college coaches and previous players there have done well coaches will keep coming back. They like to find a club they can count on and a DOC that only pushes a player that will do well.

Comment

On the girls side, a huge amount of credit has to go to AB and Jim Cote. They deeply care about the players and are tirelessly advocating on their behalf, not only to coaches on the phone but also on the sidelines at the showcases.

The club also sets up inter-squad scrimmages and invites individual coaches to come and scout players that they have expressed interest in. It's not uncommon to see several college coaches at random practices and/or scrimmages, especially during local DA events.

Basically it's a club-wide effort that starts at the top and permeates to the individual coaches, as well as the players and parents who have to do their part of course with email campaigns, phone calls etc.

However, the key is also to be realistic. Don't shoot for Stanford or UNC when the level of play might actually be Lehigh or FAU. Find a fit, work hard and expect (or demand) that your club advocates on your behalf.

Comment

On the girls side, a huge amount of credit has to go to AB and Jim Cote. They deeply care about the players and are tirelessly advocating on their behalf, not only to coaches on the phone but also on the sidelines at the showcases.

The club also sets up inter-squad scrimmages and invites individual coaches to come and scout players that they have expressed interest in. It's not uncommon to see several college coaches at random practices and/or scrimmages, especially during local DA events.

Basically it's a club-wide effort that starts at the top and permeates to the individual coaches, as well as the players and parents who have to do their part of course with email campaigns, phone calls etc.

However, the key is also to be realistic. Don't shoot for Stanford or UNC when the level of play might actually be Lehigh or FAU. Find a fit, work hard and expect (or demand) that your club advocates on your behalf.
        ^^^^This^^^^
        Say what you want about AB, the guy works his ass off to get the girls in college soccer. Same with Cote.

Comment

This is spot on. We "transferred" to TBU mid-season and a few weeks later went to our first ECNL showcase. I went down to the lobby at like 6 AM to get more towels on Saturday. AB, Cote and all the TBU coaches were in uniform and eating breakfast with several college coaches. It was obvious they all had a mutual respect.

I was stunned because at our previous club most of the coaches and DOC didn't care for each other and would avoid spending time with each other. Furthermore, never saw them even talking to college coaches let alone eating a breakfast at 6 AM with them. Those parents that think girls "get discovered" by college coaches rolling up to their games are only seeing half the picture.

Comment

This is spot on. We "transferred" to TBU mid-season and a few weeks later went to our first ECNL showcase. I went down to the lobby at like 6 AM to get more towels on Saturday. AB, Cote and all the TBU coaches were in uniform and eating breakfast with several college coaches. It was obvious they all had a mutual respect.

I was stunned because at our previous club most of the coaches and DOC didn't care for each other and would avoid spending time with each other. Furthermore, never saw them even talking to college coaches let alone eating a breakfast at 6 AM with them. Those parents that think girls "get discovered" by college coaches rolling up to their games are only seeing half the picture.
            On a normal post I would bash the TBU brass just for fun cause they are turds in general... but yea... this is true. They socialize well with other coaches (college coaches!) most DOCs and coaches from other clubs dont put the time and effort in on this that the TBU guys do. They also have a lot of tight local ties so they can pad those commitment #s with st. leo, UT, and USF. these guys have been a part of the Tampa soccer scene for a long time. I think it helps too because they know thats a strong advertiser for them. They push it hard and then tell anyone even kind of college-worthy that they are the best road to take, and can spit some stats to back it up.

That being said Bush and Simms are still Turd Sandwiches

Comment

On a normal post I would bash the TBU brass just for fun cause they are turds in general... but yea... this is true. They socialize well with other coaches (college coaches!) most DOCs and coaches from other clubs dont put the time and effort in on this that the TBU guys do. They also have a lot of tight local ties so they can pad those commitment #s with st. leo, UT, and USF. these guys have been a part of the Tampa soccer scene for a long time. I think it helps too because they know thats a strong advertiser for them. They push it hard and then tell anyone even kind of college-worthy that they are the best road to take, and can spit some stats to back it up.

That being said Bush and Simms are still Turd Sandwiches
              https://media.giphy.com/media/l3q2um...zSOQ/giphy.gif

Comment

Great feedback! While I have heard a lot of horror stories regarding TBU, it is nice to see that these guys are advocating for their players. I hope that this will push other local clubs to do the same, otherwise, I see a lot of families jumping ship before too long.

Comment

Great feedback! While I have heard a lot of horror stories regarding TBU, it is nice to see that these guys are advocating for their players. I hope that this will push other local clubs to do the same, otherwise, I see a lot of families jumping ship before too long.
                  Yep, Central Florida clubs need to take notice and do what they say they are going to do.

Comment

Some clubs do a better job at it than others. FESA and Sunrise do a good job too. Seems like Texans do well for a small club. The DOC usually has a lot to do with it. If they have good contacts with college coaches and previous players there have done well coaches will keep coming back. They like to find a club they can count on and a DOC that only pushes a player that will do well.

Texans do extremely well on the girls side, mainly because of Kempy! I had the pleasure of working for him and he is one of the best DOC around. Not only does he care about the players but he is VERY well known and connected.

Comment

I'm sure I'll get trolled for this......

However for a small club Celtic has done a complete turnaround in the past few years. That happens to have coincided with the club getting a new DOC. The DOC is from Scotland and has used his connections to get girls scholarships at The Citadel, University of Rochester, West Florida, Nova SE, West Alabama, and Webber International. While not as impressive at the TBU list of schools it's still a great accomplishment considering the size of the club and what was done/not done prior to the new DOC. The club has some decent on it's 02 girls team and a lot of talent on it's 03 team. I would expect to see several girls get signed form those two teams. Especially the 03 girls.

I know TBU might get bashed on this board. However hats off to them and what they do to get girls scholarships. Like they say..."If they ain't hating then you ain't doing something right!"

Comment

However for a small club Celtic has done a complete turnaround in the past few years. That happens to have coincided with the club getting a new DOC. The DOC is from Scotland and has used his connections to get girls scholarships at The Citadel, University of Rochester, West Florida, Nova SE, West Alabama, and Webber International. While not as impressive at the TBU list of schools it's still a great accomplishment considering the size of the club and what was done/not done prior to the new DOC. The club has some decent on it's 02 girls team and a lot of talent on it's 03 team. I would expect to see several girls get signed form those two teams. Especially the 03 girls.

I know TBU might get bashed on this board. However hats off to them and what they do to get girls scholarships. Like they say..."If they ain't hating then you ain't doing something right!"
                        No trolling here man.

At the end of the day, if you are at a club where the top priority is truly developing the talent they have and are doing their best at giving the kids the most exposure to college coaches then that's a win. Too many clubs in the Tampa Bay area are money pits where the DOC or Club Director doesn't give a crap about your kid (*cough* WFF)

Playing at TBU or one of the other clubs isn't for everyone. If you find something that fits what you are looking for then go for it.

Comment

If Celtic are sending Girls to college then I'm sure Oldsmar & Tarpon springs are too.

Comment

If Celtic are sending Girls to college then I'm sure Oldsmar & Tarpon springs are too.
                            And Clearwater Chargers on the girls side.

Comment

And Clearwater Chargers on the girls side.
                              Does Clearwater Chargers even have any girls teams left? I thought all the players took off to TBU years ago

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X