Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Ummm.. The poster said the player "could play for BC but can't get in with their grades". ie, in the example provided, the grades WERE factored into the equation, and the player didn't make the cut. There is some level of academic cut-off below which a player is determined to be academically ineligible at BC, isn't there?

You're the stupid one here, dodo, so take a breath and read more carefully, and maybe you could stop embarrassing yourself with your own idiocy.
    You will never win with BTNT. His point is that even Stanford will get a kid in with a very average or even below average academic record if they can score touchdowns or drain 3 pointers or end up on the WNT. Same with him wanting frosh on the same field with high school seniors or 11 year olds with16 year olds. He an elitist in his world only (except for the one kid of his that he hammered) and then masquerades with his blue collar cap for the alleged benevolent benefit of the rest of us poor souls.

Comment

But what if your kid likes a smaller school much better, and may not do well at a BC? I guess his choice for a smaller and cheaper school don't matter. Then you can still add the soccer option.
      A BC student wouldn't be interested in Stonehill. Period. If they want smaller there's plenty of other quality schools, many of which would give more merit $ to such a student than a 10K athletic grant at Stonehill

Comment

You will never win with BTNT. His point is that even Stanford will get a kid in with a very average or even below average academic record if they can score touchdowns or drain 3 pointers or end up on the WNT. Same with him wanting frosh on the same field with high school seniors or 11 year olds with16 year olds. He an elitist in his world only (except for the one kid of his that he hammered) and then masquerades with his blue collar cap for the alleged benevolent benefit of the rest of us poor souls.
        I agree there is no winning. And I'm sure he will respond with a looooonnnnggg tirade along those lines to educate us all. Can't wait. I think it will start with "What some of you will never begin to understand . . . ", or the like. Yawn.

Honestly, I've reached my limit with the constant insults and plain nastiness being lobbed back and forth in these "discussions". It's a sad reflection on some of the individuals posting here.

Comment

BTNT, what level of D3 soccer is MCLA? Seriously, is it a good soccer choice because our kid is strongly considering and seems like a great value play.

Comment

That's what we've been trying to tell you! That kids who apply to and are competitive for BC aren't even applying to Stonehill. Just as the potential of scholarship offers at low end D1s don't trump high D3s (again, hardly ever on the same list). And just fyi, for my money, BC and Vandy are close enough that if offered I take the 50% versus 25%.
            You say D3 Williams, others say D1 Harvard. You say D3 MIT, others say D1 Yale. The comparisons can go on and on. Not like Stanford, Duke, Georgetown etc are weak options if you have the actual soccer playing ability to land there. The bottom line is if your kid has the grades to get into either Williams or MIT and actually has D1 level soccer playing ability to get out on the field for them, 99 out of 100 families are going to choose Harvard or Yale. The only time they choose a school like Williams or MIT is when they aren’t good enough soccer players but still want to play soccer. The idea that someone would turn down 50% (or more) from a place like BC let alone a place like Vanderbilt so they could play soccer at Williams or MIT is really a stretch. Sure there might be an occasional outlier who would do that but it’s hardly a mainstream decision.

Comment

You say D3 Williams, others say D1 Harvard. You say D3 MIT, others say D1 Yale. The comparisons can go on and on. Not like Stanford, Duke, Georgetown etc are weak options if you have the actual soccer playing ability to land there. The bottom line is if your kid has the grades to get into either Williams or MIT and actually has D1 level soccer playing ability to get out on the field for them, 99 out of 100 families are going to choose Harvard or Yale. The only time they choose a school like Williams or MIT is when they aren’t good enough soccer players but still want to play soccer. The idea that someone would turn down 50% (or more) from a place like BC let alone a place like Vanderbilt so they could play soccer at Williams or MIT is really a stretch. Sure there might be an occasional outlier who would do that but it’s hardly a mainstream decision.
              You are either just trying to irritate me, BTNT, or you really do have a serious neurological disorder. Read man, read!

I have never said I would turn down a high level D1 for a D3. Never. I have never claimed my kid was anything other than a D3 level soccer player. I absolutely never said anyone should turn down BC or Vandy to go to Williams or MIT. Never.

Comment

I agree there is no winning. And I'm sure he will respond with a looooonnnnggg tirade along those lines to educate us all. Can't wait. I think it will start with "What some of you will never begin to understand . . . ", or the like. Yawn.

Honestly, I've reached my limit with the constant insults and plain nastiness being lobbed back and forth in these "discussions". It's a sad reflection on some of the individuals posting here.
                You seem to believe that everyone’s kid has the same opportunities in life when they really don’t. The Thing about D1 sports is if your kid can literally throw those touchdowns or drain those 3 pointers it doesn’t necessarily have to be for a program like Stanford, it literally could be the relative ability to do it for a Holy Cross or Bryant and your kid will end up with better opportunities than those that can’t. Not only will they be rewarded with a scholarship but if they have a high impact while there, the school and the boosters will make a point of jumping them to the top of whatever line they want to be in. It’s what us referred to as the good ole boy network and its just the way things work at the D1 level. Success begets success and more often than not that success outweighs the value of just a brand name degree.

Comment

You are either just trying to irritate me, BTNT, or you really do have a serious neurological disorder. Read man, read!

I have never said I would turn down a high level D1 for a D3. Never. I have never claimed my kid was anything other than a D3 level soccer player. I absolutely never said anyone should turn down BC or Vandy to go to Williams or MIT. Never.
                  Why do you assume anything is specifically directed at you? You came up short with you kid. We all know that. Doubt anyone is really taking your points and answering them. Few people want to follow your lead. Its an anonymous discussion with all sorts of tangents, don’t take it do personal.

Comment

You seem to believe that everyone’s kid has the same opportunities in life when they really don’t. The Thing about D1 sports is if your kid can literally throw those touchdowns or drain those 3 pointers it doesn’t necessarily have to be for a program like Stanford, it literally could be the relative ability to do it for a Holy Cross or Bryant and your kid will end up with better opportunities than those that can’t. Not only will they be rewarded with a scholarship but if they have a high impact while there, the school and the boosters will make a point of jumping them to the top of whatever line they want to be in. It’s what us referred to as the good ole boy network and its just the way things work at the D1 level. Success begets success and more often than not that success outweighs the value of just a brand name degree.
                    LOL. The QB at HC is gonna do better than the AA center mid at Amherst? How about maybe they are both gonna do well? Bryant? St Peters? FDU? You might want to rethink that.

Comment

Why do you assume anything is specifically directed at you? You came up short with you kid. We all know that. Doubt anyone is really taking your points and answering them. Few people want to follow your lead. Its an anonymous discussion with all sorts of tangents, don’t take it do personal.
                      If we came up short give me short every time. Meanwhile, you are the biggest joke in all of Massachusetts soccer....by a landslide. Grab another pepperoni and hope Zion comes back in the game.

Comment

Doesn't matter if this was intended for anyone specific. The implication is that it is in response to stuff that has been written on the site. No one has said any of that. No one has said high level D1 players are choosing D3s. No one.

Comment

If the kid is the captain of the Williams soccer team that won a National Championship, do you think there's a chance that the Williams alumni network might think that's pretty cool and look out for her? How about the Amherst women's hoop team members that went undefeated for 2 straight seasons? Do you think that might be more valuable than the Bryant network? What a BS take...

Comment

If the kid is the captain of the Williams soccer team that won a National Championship, do you think there's a chance that the Williams alumni network might think that's pretty cool and look out for her? How about the Amherst women's hoop team members that went undefeated for 2 straight seasons? Do you think that might be more valuable than the Bryant network? What a BS take...
                            BTNT is literally insane. And.So.Obsessed.With.D3.For.What.Reason????????

Comment

BTNT is literally insane. And.So.Obsessed.With.D3.For.What.Reason????????
                              and it's gone on for YEARS

Comment

Sure the alumni would help that kid out. It is how it works. Why then is it always such a stretch for some here to admit it also happens with the D1 athletes where there is more money involved? The only significant difference between the players on the Williams team and those on the team at say a Duke or Stanford is the later are much much better soccer players. The reality is they’ll have the exact same academic resumes and drive as the players from a Williams so the idea that kids would have to drop down levels for the sake of education is farsical. Those kinds of kids aren’t looking at schools like Bryant. That’s a smoke screen. The thing that seems to frost some here is that because of that higher soccer playing ability those Duke or Stanford players get many different types of benefits above and beyond their scholarships that give them a leg up on their normal student counterparts. For example I seriously doubt the elite D3’s have whole buildings to house their athletic academic support departments like they have at the academically prominent D1’s. Those types of resources have a huge impact on the athlete’s ability to compete in the classroom so if the education was as important as some argue why would anyone turn them down if they were actually being offered. The reality has always been that those sorts of opportunities were not being offered and that’s where the whole face saving thing starts except we aren’t really talking about kids going to Williams or Duke but rather places like Wheaton and Bryant.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X