Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I say let them have their fun! There is nothing rational at any level about club soccer. Kids want to do it (and some parents too) and so it exists. If it didn’t, they would only be spending time and money on some other activity that would be equally pointless. Eventually, 90% of these kids tire of it or they don’t make the roster for the next leg up and it ends. 2-3 years from now these 2007 parents will learn that if they don’t already know so let them have their fun while it lasts.
    It's destructive to the development of the player. Why someone who invest so much money into something only to sabotage it is bewildering.

Comment

It's destructive to the development of the player. Why someone who invest so much money into something only to sabotage it is bewildering.
      Have to agree - many parents get too focused on the results and not their own player's developments. If a winning team starts to lose then"OMG I better move Hanna to a winning team now!" Same dynamic once a few players start to move up the ladder - "OMG Hannah has to go there too!" Then Hannah rarely plays because she's at the wrong level, parent moves them to yet another team (because, she is a genius after all and just needs the right coach who can see that!). Hannah is miserable, never plays is tired of moving all the time so she quits.

Flip that - a team that doesn't have a winning record isn't necessarily a failure either, but many parents think it is.

Comment

Who are you to tell people what to do? Let’s be honest, most of these kids will either drop out or don’t have the athleticism to go on so don’t worry so much about their “development”. Those that do go on will be just fine, they’ll figure out the game or find a good coach that will explain it to them. Soccer isn’t rocket science.

Comment

Who are you to tell people what to do? Let’s be honest, most of these kids will either drop out or don’t have the athleticism to go on so don’t worry so much about their “development”. Those that do go on will be just fine, they’ll figure out the game or find a good coach that will explain it to them. Soccer isn’t rocket science.
          I'm not telling anyone to do anything. I'm questioning why someone would sabotage their development.

No, soccer isn't rocket science. But, it's a helluva more complicated than the fools who are concentrating on what ranking their kid's place is within the state make it out to be....

Comment

I had an 07 child and I've seen this insanity firsthand before.
            You had a 07 child? What happened to her?

Comment

The fact that someone is paying so damn much for soccer and is worried about results and how they compare to other teams sums up what is wrong. A parent of a 6th-grader should not be concerned with how the score of the game went. Unless they are out for Facebook likes. If so, get her onto a rec or town travel team and run up those stats.
              6th grader is bad enough but the 2007 thread started 2 years ago.

Comment

You had a 07 child? What happened to her?
                So

Lame

Comment

“A parent of a 6th-grader should not be concerned with how the score of the game went.”

So when your kid was playing U12 you didn’t care, at all, about the scores of the games? You’d roll into the house and tell the wife that “Mia really developed today as a player” with no mention of who won and who lost.

Ya, sorry not buying it. Not even a little. But preach on preacher.

Comment

My kid had such a good kick in the womb. I think she has what it takes.

Comment

“A parent of a 6th-grader should not be concerned with how the score of the game went.”

So when your kid was playing U12 you didn’t care, at all, about the scores of the games? You’d roll into the house and tell the wife that “Mia really developed today as a player” with no mention of who won and who lost.

Ya, sorry not buying it. Not even a little. But preach on preacher.
                      Of course you wanted her to win. But, no, didn't really care in the long run. As long it was a good game is all I'm looking for. I've half-joked I'd be happy if they tied every game, because that tells me they are in the right league.

Still feel that way a bit, to be honest.

Comment

Since everyone loves to share their thoughts here is another one....This thread merely exists to talk about soccer, if you think it’s dumb then why bother commenting just find another thread. Club soccer’s intent, and yes it’s only the intent, is to find highly motivated players group them together and see what happens. Yes agree parents get wrapped up in it and some are delusional. Think part it starts with the time commitments and yes money spent. Most likely it never goes anywhere but you’ll never know if you don’t try.

Comment

Since everyone loves to share their thoughts here is another one....This thread merely exists to talk about soccer, if you think it’s dumb then why bother commenting just find another thread. Club soccer’s intent, and yes it’s only the intent, is to find highly motivated players group them together and see what happens. Yes agree parents get wrapped up in it and some are delusional. Think part it starts with the time commitments and yes money spent. Most likely it never goes anywhere but you’ll never know if you don’t try.
                          "Where" do you mean when you refer to "anywhere"? That's the point: If you are taking this to see who is the top of the heap of 6th graders, I guess go ahead. Troublesome as that may be.

If you want to see if you can push this forward into some future successes, then the thread wouldn't exist.

Comment

The most ridiculous part of the 07 thread isn't the 07 parents. It's the parents of older kids who continue to comment on it, just to make themselves feel superior. Spoiler alert: no one in the real world gives a crap about how your daughter's U16 team did either. It's just as meaningless as the U12 team. Difference is that YOU care and therefore you think it matters. It doesn't. It's just that the parents of older players have long since moved on from obsessing over their kids soccer "career".

Comment

Wow, a logical post.

Comment

The most ridiculous part of the 07 thread isn't the 07 parents. It's the parents of older kids who continue to comment on it, just to make themselves feel superior. Spoiler alert: no one in the real world gives a crap about how your daughter's U16 team did either. It's just as meaningless as the U12 team. Difference is that YOU care and therefore you think it matters. It doesn't. It's just that the parents of older players have long since moved on from obsessing over their kids soccer "career".
                                You are spot on. Nobody cares how my kid's U16 team did.

That's why I never talked about it.......

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X