X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    You're missing the point.

Playing a D1 sport is a sacrifice. It's enjoyable and rewarding, but it's still a sacrifice. It's a lot of time and you do miss out on some college experiences. For some, it's not worth it. I have a family member who decided not to play D1 and went to a DIII school instead. Going to that D1 school was always his dream, until it came time to decide what he wanted to do every day over the next 4 years. He joined a frat; was able to play two sports vs. just one, still was a high-honors student.

I have good friends who played DI, DII, and DIII. There cannot be any doubt the higher you go, the more dedicated you have to be to that sport and the more you miss out by being away and tied to the team so much. The DIII players sure wish they could've played at a higher level; the DI players listen to stories and say they wished they had time for that. I don't think anyone really has regrets, but to make a statement that you don't sacrifice by playing a high-level sport in college is just not true.

Whether you care about that sacrifice, well that's up to the individual. But, it's real.
    By this logic, one can say anything that takes time and dedication is a “sacrifice”. A sacrifice that takes away from what? Social time? Being a really good student is a sacrifice. Having a job while in college is a sacrifice. Joining a fraternity or sorority is a sacrifice. Being an RA in the dorm is a sacrifice. Being a science major and having long labs during the afternoons is a sacrifice.

So if this is what you base your opinion on, then no I don’t get it.

I’ve talked to dozens of D1 athletes in the last year. None regret their decision. They are all well rounded students who are enjoying their college experience. Now of course there are some who can’t handle the work load whether that be the committment to the sport or the academics or both, but the soccer team’s we met with and talked with were all so positive and such mature individuals. The take from it was that this is a really positive path for my daughter.

Comment

By this logic, one can say anything that takes time and dedication is a “sacrifice”. A sacrifice that takes away from what? Social time? Being a really good student is a sacrifice. Having a job while in college is a sacrifice. Joining a fraternity or sorority is a sacrifice. Being an RA in the dorm is a sacrifice. Being a science major and having long labs during the afternoons is a sacrifice.

So if this is what you base your opinion on, then no I don’t get it.

I’ve talked to dozens of D1 athletes in the last year. None regret their decision. They are all well rounded students who are enjoying their college experience. Now of course there are some who can’t handle the work load whether that be the committment to the sport or the academics or both, but the soccer team’s we met with and talked with were all so positive and such mature individuals. The take from it was that this is a really positive path for my daughter.
      Yes, those are all sacrifices. You seem to agree that playing a D1 support is a sacrifice. Well worth it for many people. Thank you for agreeing with that.

And, as mentioned, I don't think anyone regrets it either; or at least that's what they say.

I guess I don't understand your point after all this. Some want to sacrifice some elements of college to play a sport; some don't. There are no regrets. That's cool.

Why the constant posting about it?

Comment

Yes, those are all sacrifices. You seem to agree that playing a D1 support is a sacrifice. Well worth it for many people. Thank you for agreeing with that.

And, as mentioned, I don't think anyone regrets it either; or at least that's what they say.

I guess I don't understand your point after all this. Some want to sacrifice some elements of college to play a sport; some don't. There are no regrets. That's cool.

Why the constant posting about it?
        I actually think if we were face to face we would get along and agree on most. I post in response so “constant” is a relative term to the postings of others (you included). I have also answered that question repeatedly. I respond when someone passively agressively negates playing D1. It’s been a back handed compliment several times. “Yeah it can be good to play D1 if... if you can even get there because the path is impossible, and you won’t get any money so you’re an idiot if you think your kid will, play only if you want to give up everything, let the sport own you, sacrifice everything else, etc etc”. I also posted once vaguely about my own daughter and yet I’m told I need affirmation. I also said that I applaud any level of college athletics and there’s so many paths to choose.

I just don’t understand why being positive and optimistic are bad things. I’ve only wanted to speak to those willing and capable of achieving their goal (if that’s their goal). It’s okay to want the goal of playing D1 and getting a scholarship. It can happen with hard work and talent. I see it as much more positive than negative. That’s all.

Oh and to the jackass - I’m not who you think I am (daughter not playing in that conference).

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        Working...
        X