Team manager incentives

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GPS "incentivizes" the momagers with a shtup from one of the young british coaches ...

Comment

Op here, all interesting. Bit of a variation too. And are coach gifts common @xmas? Either individually or as a team group? Our group last year were mostly newcomers, including parent team manager, so it wasn't really discussed, although we did give a couple coaches a little something. Just curious if this is common

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2387583]Op here, all interesting. Bit of a variation too. And are coach gifts common @xmas? Either individually or as a team group? Our group last year were mostly newcomers, including parent team manager, so it wasn't really discussed, although we did give a couple coaches a little something. Just curious if this is common
        More than often coaches would get something at the end of the fall and spring season. Sometimes not the Fall but the parents would pool their money together and get the coach sometimes the team manager a gift or gift card.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2388163]
          Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          Op here, all interesting. Bit of a variation too. And are coach gifts common @xmas? Either individually or as a team group? Our group last year were mostly newcomers, including parent team manager, so it wasn't really discussed, although we did give a couple coaches a little something. Just curious if this is common
          More than often coaches would get something at the end of the fall and spring season. Sometimes not the Fall but the parents would pool their money together and get the coach sometimes the team manager a gift or gift card.
          ours have almost always done an end of the year thank you gift/family collection. I'm sure some families give small tokens (Starbucks gift card?) to coaches at the holidays but we don't. If I gave to all the teachers, coaches etc in my kids' lives we'd never afford college.

Comment

My incentive as at team manager has always been to avoid having the disorganized, disengaged disaster of a manager, or the "assistant coach wannabee" type manager who can RUIN a kid's (and their family's) experience with club soccer. I saw both these kinds of horrible managers and the damage they can do to the experience in the first few years of my (several) kids' club teams. One team had a woman who couldn't text or e-mail unless she was at her work desk...another had a woman who constantly tried to insert herself into the conduct of the team--playing time, style of play (11 yo's!!!). Result was both teams IMPLODED with so many players leaving that I had to find my kids a new club or have them play "up" with older teams that didn't disintegrate Incentive enough not to go through that BS again.

Comment

Exactly. And thank you! It’s a lot of work, and most helpful if done well.

Comment

The absolute worst situation to be in is having an awful team manager at the later years when you know a move to another team is near impossible because of numbers.

Comment

My incentive as at team manager has always been to avoid having the disorganized, disengaged disaster of a manager, or the "assistant coach wannabee" type manager who can RUIN a kid's (and their family's) experience with club soccer. I saw both these kinds of horrible managers and the damage they can do to the experience in the first few years of my (several) kids' club teams. One team had a woman who couldn't text or e-mail unless she was at her work desk...another had a woman who constantly tried to insert herself into the conduct of the team--playing time, style of play (11 yo's!!!). Result was both teams IMPLODED with so many players leaving that I had to find my kids a new club or have them play "up" with older teams that didn't disintegrate Incentive enough not to go through that BS again.
                  Having a bad manager can crush a team., I've seen it a few times. Usually the parent is selfish, not selfless like above. That's when you can get into real trouble - when the parent tries to turn it into something that benefits their kid. If you're going to do it, do it for the right reasons and do it well. You probably won't be appreciated, but you'll know ultimately you've helped the kids have a better experience.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2388196]

ours have almost always done an end of the year thank you gift/family collection. I'm sure some families give small tokens (Starbucks gift card?) to coaches at the holidays but we don't. If I gave to all the teachers, coaches etc in my kids' lives we'd never afford college.
                    But you’re more than happy to disparage them...
                    Sounds like you need to taper down on the number of folk who try to help your child succeed...

Signed,
                    Someone who appreciates other’s efforts to help my child

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2388448]

But you’re more than happy to disparage them...
                      Sounds like you need to taper down on the number of folk who try to help your child succeed...

Signed,
                      Someone who appreciates other’s efforts to help my child
                      It's a matter of finances dude. There's only so much we can do across all our kids, activities, teachers. Their efforts are very much appreciated (if they're a good coach, many are not) and we contribute to the end of the year gift every time. No need to disparage bad coaches; just leave if you're unhappy.

Comment

You get to cozy up to the coach at the bar during tournaments!

Comment

Every manager wants this: the best for their kid and power over the rest. The end.

Comment

Every manager wants this: the best for their kid and power over the rest. The end.
                            Bullshlt.

For us, we decided to help because the one last year was a tool. And, nobody else raised their hand.

Thankfully it's been almost no work.

Comment

If by power, you mean the power to know when practices will be before the rest of the team, then I guess. If not, you are just another parent who never volunteers to do anything, but loves to bit*h about those who do.

Look, we’ve had some bad team managers who are disorganized, never communicate well, etc, so if you want it done right, ya gotta do it yourself.

Comment

You shouldn't make assumptions about the factors that motivate others. Some people are just wired to help out when they see that something needs doing, simply because they believe in contributing. Look to your scout leaders (oooh the power), or religious ed teachers. I would add school volunteers, but you'd probably say those parents are hoping to be rewarded with more teacher attention or better grades. Cynics who assume a selfish motivation as the basis for volunteerism are obnoxious. If you have nothing nice to say, like "thank you", just move on.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X