Talking-Soccer.com  

Go Back   Talking-Soccer.com > Soccer By Region / State > Region 1 > Massachusetts > Talking MA Politics

Notices

Talking MA Politics The political side of Ma (Public Sector only, not your child's placement and the politics therein or perceived)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21  
Old 01-04-2014
perspective perspective is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,714
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
and????

What if he went to the larger club, attended and played at a division 1 school, and instead of going to medical school, went into business and became a hedge fund manager and made millions?

Please don't insult anyone intelligence to think that by staying with any particular club that this kid's future was definitely affected.

By the way, I don't think I would go into medicine in today's world unless one had true desire to heal.
Or, if they don't have a true desire to heal, let's hope they don't go into medicine. Despite whatever you hear or may believe, physicians are still making out just fine. I for one would rather see our hospitals function more like the services they are supposed to be and less like Wendy's franchises.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-04-2014
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by perspective View Post
Or, if they don't have a true desire to heal, let's hope they don't go into medicine. Despite whatever you hear or may believe, physicians are still making out just fine. I for one would rather see our hospitals function more like the services they are supposed to be and less like Wendy's franchises.
Not that this is the topic of the thread but an invasive cardiologist at one of the major Harvard hospital has an initial starting salary of approximately 70k......after 4 years of college (50+K per year), 4 years of medical school (60+K per year), an internship (1 year), medical residency (3 years), and a cardiology fellowship (3 years). The median salary for a physician in this country is approximately 160-170k per year.

The lowest paid baseball player has a package exceeding 500K per year.....guaranteed whether they play or not. Have you ever seen a professional athlete, a manager/coach, or an owner get sued by the fans for a poor performance?

I am curious to know in what way does your hospital function like a Wendy's franchise? I don't know a Wendy's that hands out free food if a person comes in very hungry, starving, or just simply has no money. I have never seen Wendy's give out the food and then try to get the money later. Now club soccer does have players who do not pay. To make this happen, the rest of the team pays a little bit more. It seems that this is similar to some part of our healthcare system.

Insurance companies are refusing to reimburse if certain lab values are not met during hospital stays. Not surprising these lab marks are not founded to improve safety, but if there is a way not to pay.......

Now, getting back to the topic at hand, can you imagine if club soccer was set up so that you would pay a small deposit, but would not pay the rest until the season is half, two-thirds, and then fully done.....and your payment would be based on your satisfaction??? Can you imagine if all things were like that?? If you think that the entire system would fall apart if this were the case then I suppose you might have some sympathy for physicians.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-04-2014
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Not that this is the topic of the thread but an invasive cardiologist at one of the major Harvard hospital has an initial starting salary of approximately 70k......after 4 years of college (50+K per year), 4 years of medical school (60+K per year), an internship (1 year), medical residency (3 years), and a cardiology fellowship (3 years). The median salary for a physician in this country is approximately 160-170k per year.

The lowest paid baseball player has a package exceeding 500K per year.....guaranteed whether they play or not. Have you ever seen a professional athlete, a manager/coach, or an owner get sued by the fans for a poor performance?

I am curious to know in what way does your hospital function like a Wendy's franchise? I don't know a Wendy's that hands out free food if a person comes in very hungry, starving, or just simply has no money. I have never seen Wendy's give out the food and then try to get the money later. Now club soccer does have players who do not pay. To make this happen, the rest of the team pays a little bit more. It seems that this is similar to some part of our healthcare system.

Insurance companies are refusing to reimburse if certain lab values are not met during hospital stays. Not surprising these lab marks are not founded to improve safety, but if there is a way not to pay.......

Now, getting back to the topic at hand, can you imagine if club soccer was set up so that you would pay a small deposit, but would not pay the rest until the season is half, two-thirds, and then fully done.....and your payment would be based on your satisfaction??? Can you imagine if all things were like that?? If you think that the entire system would fall apart if this were the case then I suppose you might have some sympathy for physicians.
Invasive cardiologist at Harvard and 70k..... I doubt that !!!! Not at tufts, bmc, or lahey either
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-04-2014
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Not that this is the topic of the thread but an invasive cardiologist at one of the major Harvard hospital has an initial starting salary of approximately 70k......after 4 years of college (50+K per year), 4 years of medical school (60+K per year), an internship (1 year), medical residency (3 years), and a cardiology fellowship (3 years). The median salary for a physician in this country is approximately 160-170k per year.

The lowest paid baseball player has a package exceeding 500K per year.....guaranteed whether they play or not. Have you ever seen a professional athlete, a manager/coach, or an owner get sued by the fans for a poor performance?

I am curious to know in what way does your hospital function like a Wendy's franchise? I don't know a Wendy's that hands out free food if a person comes in very hungry, starving, or just simply has no money. I have never seen Wendy's give out the food and then try to get the money later. Now club soccer does have players who do not pay. To make this happen, the rest of the team pays a little bit more. It seems that this is similar to some part of our healthcare system.

Insurance companies are refusing to reimburse if certain lab values are not met during hospital stays. Not surprising these lab marks are not founded to improve safety, but if there is a way not to pay.......

Now, getting back to the topic at hand, can you imagine if club soccer was set up so that you would pay a small deposit, but would not pay the rest until the season is half, two-thirds, and then fully done.....and your payment would be based on your satisfaction??? Can you imagine if all things were like that?? If you think that the entire system would fall apart if this were the case then I suppose you might have some sympathy for physicians.
I know someone who tried to use the "I'll pay up to the level of my satisfaction" argument when dealing with a club. He basically withheld his fall payment until he saw how things were going. His kid was a contributing player on a top team, but really didn't have the leverage to pull this off. The club told him that he had to pay the entire next season up front, or his kid wouldn't be on a team. He switched clubs, and now badmouths the former club for being "too business-like."
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-04-2014
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Not that this is the topic of the thread but an invasive cardiologist at one of the major Harvard hospital has an initial starting salary of approximately 70k......after 4 years of college (50+K per year), 4 years of medical school (60+K per year), an internship (1 year), medical residency (3 years), and a cardiology fellowship (3 years). The median salary for a physician in this country is approximately 160-170k per year.

The lowest paid baseball player has a package exceeding 500K per year.....guaranteed whether they play or not. Have you ever seen a professional athlete, a manager/coach, or an owner get sued by the fans for a poor performance?
The lowest paid baseball player make much, much less than 500K per year. There are several levels of pro players working their way through the minors hoping for a 1 in 100? chance to become a major league player.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-05-2014
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The lowest paid baseball player make much, much less than 500K per year. There are several levels of pro players working their way through the minors hoping for a 1 in 100? chance to become a major league player.

You are absolutely wrong. The lowest salary in the Major Leagues is about 400K. After that there are additional travel expenses for at least 81 aways games. There are a host of additional monies not the least of which includes a retirement package. I am being conservative by quoting 500K.....for a Major league ball player. Don't doubt this. I am correct.

.......whether he plays a inning or not.....
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-05-2014
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The lowest paid baseball player make much, much less than 500K per year. There are several levels of pro players working their way through the minors hoping for a 1 in 100? chance to become a major league player.

Actually I was wrong.....the minimum salary is 490,000K

http://deadspin.com/2013-payrolls-an...team-462765594

This does not include a host of expenses not the least of which is the cost of 81 travel days for away games, which includes travel, hotel, food.
There may even be a housing expense for each player not included in the 490K.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-05-2014
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The lowest paid baseball player make much, much less than 500K per year. There are several levels of pro players working their way through the minors hoping for a 1 in 100? chance to become a major league player.

Actually I was wrong.....the minimum salary is 490,000K

http://deadspin.com/2013-payrolls-an...team-462765594

This does not include a host of expenses not the least of which is the cost of 81 travel days for away games, which includes travel, hotel, food.
There may even be a housing expense for each player not included in the 490K.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-05-2014
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Actually I was wrong.....the minimum salary is 490,000K

http://deadspin.com/2013-payrolls-an...team-462765594

This does not include a host of expenses not the least of which is the cost of 81 travel days for away games, which includes travel, hotel, food.
There may even be a housing expense for each player not included in the 490K.
Yes, but single A, AA, AAA plus several other leagues are all also pro players. Most players will spend several years in these league without ever getting a shot in the bigs.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 01-05-2014
perspective perspective is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,714
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Actually I was wrong.....the minimum salary is 490,000K

http://deadspin.com/2013-payrolls-an...team-462765594

This does not include a host of expenses not the least of which is the cost of 81 travel days for away games, which includes travel, hotel, food.
There may even be a housing expense for each player not included in the 490K.
But they have a very narrow window to make their money and that's IF they make it to the big leagues (as another poster suggested).

How many people do you surmise have a choice between being a well-paid professional athlete and being a physician? For that matter, how what percentage of people have a shot at being a physician?

What seems more dubious is your quote of 70K for a cardiologist in Boston. Police officers and correction officers in the prisons make 70K. I don't know a single psychiatrist who makes less than 200K, and they are generally at the bottom of the physician pay scale along with GPs and pediatricians. If you want to argue that physicians work very hard for the money they do earn I will agree with you, but I don't think they are making 70K.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The word "Elite" has jumped the shark. Unregistered Massachusetts 37 09-19-2013 06:09 PM
Top USA League U17 Boys "Premier" teams playing Region Cup Unregistered Florida 16 03-02-2013 07:07 AM
Difference between "trainers" and "coaches" Unregistered Florida 15 09-11-2011 10:05 AM
"Town" MAPLE teams will drain the "club" teams Unregistered Massachusetts 65 06-27-2011 04:48 PM
SRI "5 release limit" and "no state cup" rules Unregistered Rhode Island 73 12-29-2010 12:55 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.