Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Yes, there are aspects of the D1 experience that can make a tougher major more difficult, but there are plenty of D1 kids who can succeed academically in competitive academic areas.
    My kid was told at an A10 school that it was not physically possible for a soccer player to do engineering because of when the team practiced (during peak time for 14 required engineering courses) and was told at an Ivy that engineering would "probably not be possible" for soccer players at that institution. At other institutions in those conferences, however, engineering was entirely possible for soccer players. So opportunities to play soccer AND do certain majors are institution-specific.

Comment

Most common degree for D1 athletes → exercise science
      I heard communications. Mostly papers not labs.

Comment

My kid was told at an ACC school that she would be taking classes all summer for a tough science major. In other words never coming home.

Comment

Most common degree for D1 athletes → exercise science
          Exercise Science sounds easy, but is a Science based major with lots of lab and clinical work that a lot of athletes don't realize. Many switch to Sports Management at my daughters school.

Comment

Exercise Science sounds easy, but is a Science based major with lots of lab and clinical work that a lot of athletes don't realize. Many switch to Sports Management at my daughters school.
            Some with a sports science degree, as long as they're good students with good grades, go on to physical therapy school, PA school, or occupational therapy school (although psychology is the most common degree for OT school). I even know of a kid that played baseball with my son that went to medical school. Granted, he did need to pickup the pre-med reqs of organic chemistry and all of that. Also, it was a D3 school. In terms of medical school, I know of a surgeon with a degree in economics and another with an English degree. Again, all the pre-med reqs to to be fulfilled.

That said, I agree with you about exercise science. It has labs that can be time consuming. Many think it's an easy degree and at some schools it is but those students at the easier schools, even with high grades, don't often go on to a professional program. Med, PA, PT, OT, etc schools know the rigor of undergraduate institutions. Many don't believe that the school counts as long as a student gets good grades but that is not true more often than not.

Comment

^ meant exercise science, not sports science*

Comment

I heard communications. Mostly papers not labs.
                That's funny! My kid wants to major in Communications, lol...but if has nothing to do with soccer. Family friend is in PR and my kid has always been enamored with their job!

Comment

My S is playing high end DI and with a Finance major has a very busy schedule. He is doing well and loves it, but it is demanding.

Comment

In the end, college shouldn't be easy. A kid can "coast" through and make it easy but if they're applying themselves and working hard, it's necessarily shouldn't be easy.

My kids always did better when they were busy and had more going on. They had to put the time in to be on. One of my kids now in school is playing soccer, currently has conditioning and is playing futsal with the team twice a week in preparation for the spring season, is involved in a mini "internship" that takes about 5-10 hours per week, and still stays up with her studies. Whenever I talk to her I jokingly ask her if she's making time to eat and for herself socially. She assures me that she is and is a big girl so I don't pry. She says that being busy is good for her and actually helps her in the classroom.

It seems that most kids today have more discipline than I did when I was in school. They're more involved and still are doing great academically.

Comment

Love all of these opinions about what other kids should do. Why don’t you apply them to your kids and let’s get back to opinions about soccer.

Comment

Love all of these opinions about what other kids should do. Why don’t you apply them to your kids and let’s get back to opinions about soccer.
                        Read the thread title, genius.

Comment

That's funny! My kid wants to major in Communications, lol...but if has nothing to do with soccer. Family friend is in PR and my kid has always been enamored with their job!
                          PR is marketing normally. But also a popular athlete's choice.

Comment

PR is marketing normally. But also a popular athlete's choice.
                            Most business majors are fine. Sciences are tough. When one of my kids was doing their visit at a D1 school they sat in on two classes, one was communications. There were 5 soccer players in the class and a several basketball players as well.

Comment

C'mon, junior, try to keep up....

Comment

Most business majors are fine. Sciences are tough. When one of my kids was doing their visit at a D1 school they sat in on two classes, one was communications. There were 5 soccer players in the class and a several basketball players as well.
                                Bingo. Any kids taking notes for the athletes too? Paid non-athletes. That is out there as well. When kids are traveling or at team hotel before games?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X