Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    that's cuz even the Globe can recognize talent.
    Just be me glad you got to clap 40 times
    Hilarious.

Comment

It's not the points, it's the skill and talent. I've seen enough of these kids play to know that they aren't legit goal scorers against a reasonable level of competition.

Go look at the last 4 years of Mass kids that had 100+ career points and see what they're doing in college. Most of them are no longer even playing forward, or are playing for a team in low level D1 with an RPI of 250. I know one HS superstar (not from Mass), who routinely scored 5-6 goals/game in high school until she quit to focus on club. At the college level she rarely got on the field, and needed to transfer down a level in order to get PT.
      You are comparing HS players, some of whom are still freshman and sophomores, to college players. Not exactly apples to apples comparison. Maybe most of these kids don’t make it to college teams, or even want to play in college; does that mean they can’t be recognized as scoring leaders in HS?

Comment

It's not the points, it's the skill and talent. I've seen enough of these kids play to know that they aren't legit goal scorers against a reasonable level of competition.

Go look at the last 4 years of Mass kids that had 100+ career points and see what they're doing in college. Most of them are no longer even playing forward, or are playing for a team in low level D1 with an RPI of 250. I know one HS superstar (not from Mass), who routinely scored 5-6 goals/game in high school until she quit to focus on club. At the college level she rarely got on the field, and needed to transfer down a level in order to get PT.
        If you look at the all region and above high school players(all American) who were goal scorers(defenders and gk are people too) for the last 5 yearsI would say very few translate into goal scorers in college. For example the 2x all American from ma who couldn’t even register a single point for providence despite playing 90 minutes a game. Still a very good player but not an instinctive goal scorer.

Comment

You are comparing HS players, some of whom are still freshman and sophomores, to college players. Not exactly apples to apples comparison. Maybe most of these kids don’t make it to college teams, or even want to play in college; does that mean they can’t be recognized as scoring leaders in HS?
          Sure they can be recognized. Just don't get all riled up about the talent required to rack up those goal totals. My D had a teammate who literally could not receive a pass or kick the ball with her left foot - at all. But she made lists like these because she could outrun fat, slow CBs and score goals. She'd get nothing against teams with real players, but get 3 or 4 in the games against the 3 and 10 teams.

Comment

I agree but that is the delusion of some parents (& players). They see equivalency. They feel there to be an apples to apples comparison. And there isn't.

That said, if they participate in high school sports and do well in it, why not a little shout out in the local press. Good for them.

Comment

PT in college depends on many factors and often players get moved to other positions based on who else is on the team, injuries and formations. Unless that player is your own child, you have no idea about her situation. I also know a player who lost PT when a few players red shirted and she was stuck behind them. Coach admitted that she was just as good, but those players were older and more experienced and honestly the coach felt more comfortable going with a known quantity. She transferred against the wishes of the coach who tried to get her to stay. In college coaches are all about proving yourself in games but it can be difficult if an older player in your position is doing well. Many coaches don’t want to mess with a good thing.
              Some (not all) out of conference games should be used to try out a player in a new position or getting on the pitch.
              While it is not club where everyone should see the field to get scouted/recruited (the business of club soccer), college is about winning and collecting hardware and accolades.

Comment

Some (not all) out of conference games should be used to try out a player in a new position or getting on the pitch.
                While it is not club where everyone should see the field to get scouted/recruited (the business of club soccer), college is about winning and collecting hardware and accolades.
                That’s what training camp and preseason is for. Out of conference game count towards your RPI and helps in recruiting especially if you are playing a challenging schedule. Getting blown out by trying players in different positions is ludicrous. Presumably you’ve recruited these players because they have a skill set that fits your program.

Comment

That’s what training camp and preseason is for. Out of conference game count towards your RPI and helps in recruiting especially if you are playing a challenging schedule. Getting blown out by trying players in different positions is ludicrous. Presumably you’ve recruited these players because they have a skill set that fits your program.
                  Honestly it depends on the player and the coach. New forward wins the fitness test and scores a ton in practice but coach relies on senior forward who scored a ton last year. Some coaches give the new forward time and others want the accolades for the senior forward so it brings awards to the program. New forward may be just as good, but doesn’t matter. There are many situations where great players just don’t get the PT they might in another situation.

Comment

I knew a player that smoked it on the field.....thanks bud

Comment

You may know “a” player, I Know many that turned out to be overrated creampuffs when their time to shine arrived.

Comment

You may know “a” player, I Know many that turned out to be overrated creampuffs when their time to shine arrived.
                        ...and most played for Stars

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                        Auto-Saved
                        x
                        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                        x
                        Working...
                        X