X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USSF pay is out of control

https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/202...-salaries.html

^^^In most sports the star players make considerably more than the sport commissioners or coaches, but in the upside down world of American soccer that’s not the case. USSF CEO has a nearly $900,000 salary; coaches like Arena and Klinsmann who failed to get us into WC receive about $1,500,000; and players like Morgan, Rapinoe, and Ertz earn around $300,000 and that includes not just they national team salary, but also their NWSL salary and WC bonus. Berhalter, who’s done absolutely nothing imo, is somehow on track to make 4x what Ellis made being FIFA Coach of the Year and winning multiple WC. Simply unreal and then people wonder why the sport here cannot move forward. USSF needs to be cleaned up and players need to make more than office jockeys and sideline staff.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post

^^^In most sports the star players make considerably more than the sport commissioners or coaches, but in the upside down world of American soccer that’s not the case. USSF CEO has a nearly $900,000 salary; coaches like Arena and Klinsmann who failed to get us into WC receive about $1,500,000; and players like Morgan, Rapinoe, and Ertz earn around $300,000 and that includes not just they national team salary, but also their NWSL salary and WC bonus. Berhalter, who’s done absolutely nothing imo, is somehow on track to make 4x what Ellis made being FIFA Coach of the Year and winning multiple WC. Simply unreal and then people wonder why the sport here cannot move forward. USSF needs to be cleaned up and players need to make more than office jockeys and sideline staff.
    Not at all surprising. They're totally inept and rove it nearly every day. Maybe with so many leaving maybe they'll save on their total salary bill

Comment

Ah, c'mon, the results speak for themselves .... the men are trying really hard.

Comment

i don't begrudge paying someone like Klinsmann the $$. like any top talent when he was hired he brought an impressive CV as both a player and coach. and the early results were pretty good but when he couldn't move the program forward he was fired. berthalter should be getting nowhere near that amount.

jill ellis absolutely deserves way more, but the cold reality is that the pay scales for WNT coaches, globally, are only now moving upward and far from parity.

i'm all for seeing more $$ flow to the WNT players. they've been the victim of the USSF financial mismanagement and obvious pay discrimination for years.

the ceo/coo pay is a joke. average CEO compensation for a comparable foundation size is in the $200-300k range. and i know there would happily be semi-retired smart people in chicago who would do it for that. the problem is that the USSF/MLS/SUM cabal treats this like a "real" CEO job and we can't have don garber earning $5mm a year while the USSF ceo earns $250k now can we? it's all a joke and USSF needs to be burned to the ground.

Comment

USSF is just as inept and corrupt as the rest of FIFA.

The only question for USMNT is whether they go out in qualifiers or WC group stage. No one should have expectations beyond that and Berhalter will be gone then.

Hope the women win their discrimination case and earn millions in back pay and a big pay bump.

Love to see the next CEO at USSF be a woman, just like WNBA has done. They need fresh blood and a different perspective.

Comment

i don't begrudge paying someone like Klinsmann the $$. like any top talent when he was hired he brought an impressive CV as both a player and coach. and the early results were pretty good but when he couldn't move the program forward he was fired. berthalter should be getting nowhere near that amount.

jill ellis absolutely deserves way more, but the cold reality is that the pay scales for WNT coaches, globally, are only now moving upward and far from parity.

i'm all for seeing more $$ flow to the WNT players. they've been the victim of the USSF financial mismanagement and obvious pay discrimination for years.

the ceo/coo pay is a joke. average CEO compensation for a comparable foundation size is in the $200-300k range. and i know there would happily be semi-retired smart people in chicago who would do it for that. the problem is that the USSF/MLS/SUM cabal treats this like a "real" CEO job and we can't have don garber earning $5mm a year while the USSF ceo earns $250k now can we? it's all a joke and USSF needs to be burned to the ground.
            Klinsmann is very overrated, but I’m not the only one that feels that way. You can see the huge payout the SBNation article below mentions he got in the tax returns quoted in The NY Times. Arena too got a settlement for being fired by USSF. It’s disgusting what these guys do - come in to coach a NT and then take it to the cleaners when they fail to do their jobs.
            https://www.sbnation.com/platform/am...veling-grifter

Comment

Klinsmann is very overrated, but I’m not the only one that feels that way. You can see the huge payout the SBNation article below mentions he got in the tax returns quoted in The NY Times. Arena too got a settlement for being fired by USSF. It’s disgusting what these guys do - come in to coach a NT and then take it to the cleaners when they fail to do their jobs.
              https://www.sbnation.com/platform/am...veling-grifter
              yeah i agree with you and the article --- i think many at the time of his hiring couldn't see the grift and he brought an aura of technical competence with the 2006 WC results of an underwhelming german NT. paying 1mm+ for a name brand coach doesn't seem crazy in hindsight -- keeping him for several years too many (with a gteed contract) does.

why arena got the $$ is mystifying - should have all been results-oriented.

Comment

yeah i agree with you and the article --- i think many at the time of his hiring couldn't see the grift and he brought an aura of technical competence with the 2006 WC results of an underwhelming german NT. paying 1mm+ for a name brand coach doesn't seem crazy in hindsight -- keeping him for several years too many (with a gteed contract) does.

why arena got the $$ is mystifying - should have all been results-oriented.
                You’re right the pay should be based on results, but USSF is sadly hiring for credibility on the men’s side. It still doesn’t have the depth on the field to win in this hemisphere, let alone at the world level. So they go out and beg these coaches to take the job and get fleeced in the process. Notice how that’s not an issue (so far) at the senior women’s side.

Arena is a decent coach, but he seriously screwed up in 2018. He deserved to get fired. He always comes in as the hero to poorly performing teams and gets them looking good quickly. Just look at what he’s done with the Revs. Is it that Burns/Friedel had horribly managed them, or is Arena that good? Only time will tell.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                x
                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                x
                Working...
                X