Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Discuss- Who and what is to blame for the high number of college transfers?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Discuss- Who and what is to blame for the high number of college transfers?

With the NCAA changing the communication loop holes for D1 soccer to slow down early recruiting, what are some other reasons aside from early recruiting that contribute to the high number of players requesting transfers?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    With the NCAA changing the communication loop holes for D1 soccer to slow down early recruiting, what are some other reasons aside from early recruiting that contribute to the high number of players requesting transfers?
    There has always been transfers. Always

Comment

There has always been transfers. Always
      In every sport.

Better off discussing if THE TRIPLE LINDY could actually work.

Comment

The rate is about 20% for men and 10% for women, so it isn't just that women get recruited earlier. If it were the rates would be flipped. So then there's

- frustrated with playing time
        - you fear or already know you're getting cut
        - hate the coach or there's a new coach coming in who may cut you
        - hate the school

My personal hypothesis is that men care more about PT and are more willing to walk away from schools, friendships and teammates than women. Or they're not good at targeting/being realistic about PT but women are?

Comment

You can compare soccer transfer rates to other sports here. Soccer isn't the only sport with transfers and really isn't terribly out of norms

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/...ges-and-trends

Comment

The rate is about 20% for men and 10% for women, so it isn't just that women get recruited earlier. If it were the rates would be flipped. So then there's

- frustrated with playing time
            - you fear or already know you're getting cut
            - hate the coach or there's a new coach coming in who may cut you
            - hate the school

My personal hypothesis is that men care more about PT and are more willing to walk away from schools, friendships and teammates than women. Or they're not good at targeting/being realistic about PT but women are?
            Never pick a school for soccer alone. Ever. Academics first, even if not academically inclined, location, mission, etc. You can get hurt in one play in the first practice and never play the game again. I've seen it.

Comment

Never pick a school for soccer alone. Ever. Academics first, even if not academically inclined, location, mission, etc. You can get hurt in one play in the first practice and never play the game again. I've seen it.
              MANY players pick schools to play at because they were offered a spot on the team over the school being their top choice. Very few people have the talent to play soccer at their top schools. Maybe the transfer rate would be lower if players stop committing to programs at schools where soccer is the only reason they are there. Parents are hugely to blame. The exception to this are D3 programs.

Comment

Two of my kids played college soccer, one D1 the other D3. The D3 student transferred after sophomore year because of her choice in majors. The transfer school provided a better fit. The D1 almost transferred for the same reason at the same time, but decided to remain at the school and work things out by changing majors and then applying to post grad schools in the field of choice. Maybe my kids are different, but academics, not soccer, were the reasons they considered transferring and I got to think that is the reason most kids transfer. After all academics is what leads to a job for 99.9% of them.

Comment

MANY players pick schools to play at because they were offered a spot on the team over the school being their top choice. Very few people have the talent to play soccer at their top schools. Maybe the transfer rate would be lower if players stop committing to programs at schools where soccer is the only reason they are there. Parents are hugely to blame. The exception to this are D3 programs.
                  Asking a 15 year old to make such an important decision is a critical component as well. I don't care how "mature" they are or how focused they are on their goals. It's way too early.

But the real question to the OP is - who the f cares what other kids do? Are you pissed that your kid was passed over for one that eventually xfered? Well guess what, welcome to life. It's no different than losing out on a job to someone who leaves or gets fired a year later. Happens all the time and will continue for the indefinite future.

Comment

OP here - goes without saying. But plenty of kids don't or they just don't realize/aren't ready to understand what that all means. They also do change majors and need to move for academic reasons.

Comment

Obviously each kid and situation is different. My child left a Div 1 program because they didn't like the school. Liked the soccer program, but school was not was they envisioned.

Comment

Obviously each kid and situation is different. My child left a Div 1 program because they didn't like the school. Liked the soccer program, but school was not was they envisioned.
                        Sorry...'was not what they envisioned.'

Comment

that happens to plenty of non athletes as well. Loads of kids change their minds, change majors, just aren't happy etc. I don't think a rate of 10% is out of line compared to non athletes. But approaching 20% or more means it's probably not just the school. Some sports have even higher figures. It's not like this is unique to soccer.

Comment

Who to blame, who to blame? The reasons for transfers? Really, is this a serious question? The players and/or their too involved parents are the reasons. Period. Sorry to expose the truth.

Comment

OP here - goes without saying. But plenty of kids don't or they just don't realize/aren't ready to understand what that all means. They also do change majors and need to move for academic reasons.
                              True. Some are homesick; some transfer to be closer to a sickly relative and more. There are many reasons why students transfer and it may not be always about the sport.
                              When you play club, you generally play your age group. College is a lot different when you are going up against a 5th year red shirted senior that is in great shape, fit and a few more years of soccer iq under her belt. The pressure to succeed is much greater as the jobs of the coaching staff are directly tied to the success of the team.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X