Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do I pay?

One of my friends asked "Why do you pay so much money for your kids to do all their sports”? Well I have a confession to make; I don't pay for my kids to to do sports. Personally, I couldn't care less about what sport they do.
    So, if I am not paying for sports what am I paying for?
    - I pay for those moments when my kids become so tired they want to quit but don't.
    - I pay for those days when my kids come home from school and are "too tired" to go to their training but they go anyway.
    - I pay for my kids to learn to be disciplined, focused and dedicated.
    - I pay for my kids to learn to take care of their body and equipment.
    - I pay for my kids to learn to work with others and to be good team mates, gracious in defeat and humble in success.
    - I pay for my kids to learn to deal with disappointment, when they don't get that placing or title they'd hoped for, but still they go back week after week giving it their best shot.
    - I pay for my kids to learn to make and accomplish goals.
    - I pay for my kids to respect, not only themselves, but other athletes, officials and coaches.
    - I pay for my kids to learn that it takes hours and hours, years and years of hard work and practice to create a champion and that success does not happen overnight.
    - I pay for my kids to be proud of small achievements, and to work towards long term goals.
    - I pay for the opportunity my kids have and will have to make life-long friendships, create lifelong memories, to be as proud of their achievements as I am.
    - I pay so that my kids can be out on the field or in the gym instead of in front of a screen...
    ...I could go on but, to be short, I don't pay for sports; I pay for the opportunities that sports provides my kids with to develop attributes that will serve them well throughout their lives and give them the opportunity to bless the lives of others. From what I have seen so far I think it is a great investment!

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    One of my friends asked "Why do you pay so much money for your kids to do all their sports”? Well I have a confession to make; I don't pay for my kids to to do sports. Personally, I couldn't care less about what sport they do.
    - I pay for those moments when my kids become so tired they want to quit but don't.
    - I pay for those days when my kids come home from school and are "too tired" to go to their training but they go anyway.
    - I pay for my kids to learn to work with others and to be good team mates, gracious in defeat and humble in success.
    - I pay for my kids to learn to deal with disappointment, when they don't get that placing or title they'd hoped for, but still they go back week after week giving it their best shot.
    - I pay for my kids to respect, not only themselves, but other athletes, officials and coaches.
    - I pay for my kids to learn that it takes hours and hours, years and years of hard work and practice to create a champion and that success does not happen overnight.
    - I pay for my kids to be proud of small achievements, and to work towards long term goals.
    - I pay for the opportunity my kids have and will have to make life-long friendships, create lifelong memories, to be as proud of their achievements as I am.
    - I pay so that my kids can be out on the field or in the gym instead of in front of a screen...
    ...I could go on but, to be short, I don't pay for sports; I pay for the opportunities that sports provides my kids with to develop attributes that will serve them well throughout their lives and give them the opportunity to bless the lives of others. From what I have seen so far I think it is a great investment!
    I’m glad I don’t need to pay for any of that. It’s an innate quality my child has that I don’t need to coax out with thousands of dollars.

Comment

I’m glad I don’t need to pay for any of that. It’s an innate quality my child has that I don’t need to coax out with thousands of dollars.
      No one asked you tool.

Comment

Get’em a paper route

Comment

I pay because she wants to play.She loves to play.The end.

Comment

If you weren't a typical lazy ***** parent of today you would realize that all you list is readily available for free if the child has a parent capable of guidance. If you son or daughter has a passion and skill for soccer, then pay for club. Otherwise keep them constructively exploring.

Comment

OP, that was drivel. Day drinking on St. Paddys may have worked for Joyce

Comment

Still doesn’t negate the fact that youth soccer is a racket. All of the things listed here can be accomplished without spending thousands of dollars. In fact, by focusing so much on one activity , they are missing out on a lot of other experiences, activities and pleasures of life.
                They are limiting themselves. Soccer is a great sport and my kids enjoy it, but I don’t want them to spend the majority of their prime youth years doing one activity all the time. Same old same old car rides and fields all the time. There is a whole world of things out there to explore and enjoy, and lessons to be learned. Carpe diem.

Comment

I pay so my wife can get the bumper magnet to put on the back of her Rover.

Comment

Still doesn’t negate the fact that youth soccer is a racket. All of the things listed here can be accomplished without spending thousands of dollars. In fact, by focusing so much on one activity , they are missing out on a lot of other experiences, activities and pleasures of life.
                    They are limiting themselves. Soccer is a great sport and my kids enjoy it, but I don’t want them to spend the majority of their prime youth years doing one activity all the time. Same old same old car rides and fields all the time. There is a whole world of things out there to explore and enjoy, and lessons to be learned. Carpe diem.

If you weren't a typical lazy ***** parent of today you would realize that all you list is readily available for free if the child has a parent capable of guidance. If you son or daughter has a passion and skill for soccer, then pay for club. Otherwise keep them constructively exploring.
                    Yes....youth soccer, like all the other youth sports, it is a racket. The top tier teams are not the racket part, however, the false narrative to the lower half of the teams is. The top teams do provide a benefit whether you consider if the actual training or just the edge to get into a college that you might not have gotten into otherwise. The latter is a fact.

As for my being lazy and that if otherwise my child would get the same. Sadly, I have to work. But 1-2 days per week I kick a ball around with my child. The other days he practices with a more qualified coach and a bunch of good kids that he is friends with. Ahhhh...best of both worlds.

Comment

I pay other dad coaches or even worse - creepy non dad “full time” youth coaches like Bolts because I don’t know how to do it myself

Comment

this is it. The myths that keep the racket going. the narrative that it takes sports and 1000s of dollars to achieve this stuff. smh. This is Jim Jones level Kool Aid

Comment

I’ve seen this copy, pasted and applied to just about any kids activity that parents overspend on. It’s cliche and getting old and tiresome. If you are okay with spending a ton of time and money for your kid to make friends and get exercise, that’s your call. Why do you need to justify it to others?

Comment

I’ve seen this copy, pasted and applied to just about any kids activity that parents overspend on. It’s cliche and getting old and tiresome. If you are okay with spending a ton of time and money for your kid to make friends and get exercise, that’s your call. Why do you need to justify it to others?
                            I would agree with you wholeheartedly, if not for the bizarre, never-ending assault on families for club soccer involvement.

Comment

I would agree with you wholeheartedly, if not for the bizarre, never-ending assault on families for club soccer involvement.
                              That's my take as well. Constant barrage of posts asking why people do and verbal assaults those that do. OP says why, so the constant barrage of posts asking why they do and verbal assaults continue.

Basically, everyone who spends a $1 elsewhere than you is a fool, is the message out there.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X