Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    There is a real simple way to gauge who is getting money. Extract out the obvious injuries and then look at the players who are listed on the roster and play less than roughly 15-10% of the teams total minutes for the year. There may also some kids who are listed on the roster but who do not have a stat line. The players in those categories will be getting virtually nothing for a scholarship so back them out of the calculation. It changes the above metrics considerably. Instead of spreading out the money between 28 players, most coaches tend to really end up only spreading out their scholarship money between the 18-20 players that are impacting out on the field. That way they can give an average of 70% to the players. That speaks to the value of conservatively targeting programs where the player projects to be either an early starter or at least a early high minute player.
    is this true for D2 and NAIA?

Comment

It's been described as a bell curve - with the super studs on one end getting 70%+ and the bench warmers on the other end getting <20%. The bulk of the curve is getting 30-60%ish 9assuming fully funded and a typical sized roster).
      Your calculation is low. Most coaches usually have 5-6 "practice" players that typically don't get anything and they do impact what everyone is getting. Look at FSU. They have what appears to be 16 heavy rotation players and 3 key reserves with 4 "practice" bodies. The cost of attendance at FSU last year was $31,244. Multiply that by the 13.9 scholarship to get their scholarship budget of $434,291.60 for 2018-19. Divide that number by 19 to get the average scholarship of $22,857.45. That works out to 73% for each of those players.

Comment

That's just the way that poster rolls. Doesn't know a thing about recruiting or what happens in the real world of D1 soccer but that doesn't stop them from trolling and spreading misinformation. Here's the reality. Average scholarship award on the girl's side is 50% over the four year span. A lot of offers will start low the first year and build up. That's very common. Here's the real world experience. My D accepted what would have been considered a low offer to play for the school of her dreams but her performance exceeded their expectations so they doubled her money. In the end the money she received exceeded any of her offers. That's what happens when you target realistically and have the talent to back things up.
        And you are still lingering on talking soccer, after your superstar daughter is beyond college?

Comment

There is a real simple way to gauge who is getting money. Extract out the obvious injuries and then look at the players who are listed on the roster and play less than roughly 15-10% of the teams total minutes for the year. There may also some kids who are listed on the roster but who do not have a stat line. The players in those categories will be getting virtually nothing for a scholarship so back them out of the calculation. It changes the above metrics considerably. Instead of spreading out the money between 28 players, most coaches tend to really end up only spreading out their scholarship money between the 18-20 players that are impacting out on the field. That way they can give an average of 70% to the players. That speaks to the value of conservatively targeting programs where the player projects to be either an early starter or at least a early high minute player.
          So, in other words, the players who actually play are getting the money. Who knew? Thanks for that exclusive insider look at college athletic scholarships, BTNT.

Comment

Wow. I can send my out of state kid to Florida State for 31K? Who knew? A better deal than UMass! Where do I sign up?

Comment

Your calculation is low. Most coaches usually have 5-6 "practice" players that typically don't get anything and they do impact what everyone is getting. Look at FSU. They have what appears to be 16 heavy rotation players and 3 key reserves with 4 "practice" bodies. The cost of attendance at FSU last year was $31,244. Multiply that by the 13.9 scholarship to get their scholarship budget of $434,291.60 for 2018-19. Divide that number by 19 to get the average scholarship of $22,857.45. That works out to 73% for each of those players.
              Just looked and the number used for the out of state cost is wrong. It is actually, $36,576. Doesn't materially change the calculation though.

I may be incorrect in this but I believe that the state schools can base their scholarship budget on their out of state cost of attendance so every instate state kid they have on the roster functionally allows them to give more money to the whole roster.

Comment

Wow. I can send my out of state kid to Florida State for 31K? Who knew? A better deal than UMass! Where do I sign up?
                UMass education has more value and less chance of a sunburn. Heading to FSU for soccer though if UMass is her current choice, she may be looking at the intermural team at FSU.

Comment

lol and how many MA players would make the FSU squad? nat'l champs with seven international players.

Comment

So, in other words, the players who actually play are getting the money. Who knew? Thanks for that exclusive insider look at college athletic scholarships, BTNT.
                    Think the point was someone was trying to say that the scholarship money is lower than it really is by spreading the money out over the entire roster. They used 28 players. Most coaches do only spread their money out amongst the players who actually play and in most cases that is only 16-18 players regardless of the total number of players on the roster. That does fly in the face of the whole " the scholarship money is not so great" argument.

Comment

I may be incorrect in this but I believe that the state schools can base their scholarship budget on their out of state cost of attendance so every instate state kid they have on the roster functionally allows them to give more money to the whole roster.
                      Does anyone know if this is true? This makes a huge difference.

Comment

The fact that you are unaware what college tuitions are these days speaks volumes about your lack of insight into the whole topic.

Comment

The fact that you are unaware what college tuitions are these days speaks volumes about your lack of insight into the whole topic.
                          And you know what speaks volumes about you, BTNT? You....you reveal yourself and your amazing ignorance and narcissism every single day.

Comment

Think the point was someone was trying to say that the scholarship money is lower than it really is by spreading the money out over the entire roster. They used 28 players. Most coaches do only spread their money out amongst the players who actually play and in most cases that is only 16-18 players regardless of the total number of players on the roster. That does fly in the face of the whole " the scholarship money is not so great" argument.
                            Ummm, no, that's not what it says. Just that you are an idiot.

Does a full scholarship only cover tuition these days??? Then it's not such a great deal if have to pay the other 30-40K, and that's with a full ride. Is that what you're claiming?

Comment

Ummm, no, that's not what it says. Just that you are an idiot.

Does a full scholarship only cover tuition these days??? Then it's not such a great deal if have to pay the other 30-40K, and that's with a full ride. Is that what you're claiming?
                              Different poster. Who is an idiot? Suggest you do a little reading if you don’t even know what is included in a full scholarship.

Comment

Different poster. Who is an idiot? Suggest you do a little reading if you don’t even know what is included in a full scholarship.
                                Make up your mind. Is a full ride worth 30K or 60-65+K? If only 30K and only a half-ride to FSU then we're only talking about 1/4.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X