Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    She looks like she has good technical skills, but she certainly likes to dribble in traffic .... a lot! Was wondering why she does that so often in those hi lites when she has open teammates in so many spots. I think the reason was because so many of her opponents were terrible. Wow, the red team for the first five minutes was standing around watching, ducking, and giving up. So many of the others were the same, giving her space and never doubling down on the one player that could beat them. I am sure she is a good player, but wondering if her bad habits are truly as bad as I saw in those short hilite clips (which she was capable of doing since her opponents seemed so terrible).
    Good technical skills and drive, but she has no intention of passing ... last few minutes have more close ups .... her head is down on the ball and she has no awareness of anyone else. I have to imagine she is the product of specialization .... her parents always made her special. Is she an only child? I wonder if she is a nightmare teammate? Her coach must just say givei to 10 so we can win another game.

Comment

Good technical skills and drive, but she has no intention of passing ... last few minutes have more close ups .... her head is down on the ball and she has no awareness of anyone else. I have to imagine she is the product of specialization .... her parents always made her special. Is she an only child? I wonder if she is a nightmare teammate? Her coach must just say givei to 10 so we can win another game.
      That was kinda my impression, too. I realize we are only looking at highlights, but I saw a bunch of kids standing around knowing they have no chance of getting a touch.

I hope the full 90 isn't like this.

No doubt a huge talent, but not much development going on for the other nine on the pitch.

Comment

You think a promoted media narrative that encourages very young teens to consider "pro" sports careers and all the educational sacrifices that some along with that should not get some serious reality check conversions going? Sorry. No way.

When you are marketing stuff to kids and you get some well well deserved scrutiny whether it is shoes or soccer or skiiing.
        Pro sports is both entertainment and a business. Marketing is key. It’s true in every sport for both boys/men and girls/women. Get over it. It’s your job as a parent to teach your kid how to deal with marketing because they will be exposed to it their entirely life. Apple will market phones to them, Starbucks will market coffee to them, etc. etc. Don’t expect businesses and marketers to protect your kid.

Comment

Pro sports is both entertainment and a business. Marketing is key. It’s true in every sport for both boys/men and girls/women. Get over it. It’s your job as a parent to teach your kid how to deal with marketing because they will be exposed to it their entirely life. Apple will market phones to them, Starbucks will market coffee to them, etc. etc. Don’t expect businesses and marketers to protect your kid.
          point

------

you

Comment

That was kinda my impression, too. I realize we are only looking at highlights, but I saw a bunch of kids standing around knowing they have no chance of getting a touch.

No doubt a huge talent, but not much development going on for the other nine on the pitch.
            Laughing at the thought of her trying to do that in the NWSL against players like Rapinoe, Ertz, Horan or anyone else who would knock her off the ball ... not to mention her own teammates would be glaring at her all day for not giving up the rock.

Comment

College is an educational path and sadly one that society pushes every kid towards even when they lack the intelligence or have other technical skills. It is really not a path for a sports pro and most leave at the first opportunity.
              The NWSL, the US domestic Women's professional soccer league, which is directly relevant to this thread, literally signs almost all it's players from the college ranks.

Comment

I do educate them about apple and starbucks and nike etc. and I know what they are doing on social media as best I can. I suggest you do the same. what is your point?

Comment

Laughing at the thought of her trying to do that in the NWSL against players like Rapinoe, Ertz, Horan or anyone else who would knock her off the ball ... not to mention her own teammates would be glaring at her all day for not giving up the rock.
                  I felt that I was watching a very skilled youth player competing against average opponents. The technical ability she showed was similar to some of my college-aged daughter's more skilled teammates (D1 top 30 program --- not professionals!). She did not look anything close to being a professional player, although she can spend the next 5-6 years developing her body, further refining her skills, and gaining tactical knowledge. At that point, if all goes well, she could be an impact player at the professional level. Right now, she's in development.

Comment

how is she a huge talent ? How can we possibly know? She looks like a manufactured player whose parents wealth has provided insulation and unique opportunity. Instead of integrating, they have chosen to isolate and develop in a test tube

A few things that wealth cannot buy are mentality/heart and athleticism.

I have no idea if she will be good or not, but this is a "story" and it has very little to do with soccer. No way this happens in a soccer culture. In a soccer culture, success is aligned with elite achievement WITHIN THE CONTEXT OF THE GAME. Here, its all about image. Image can be bought. Image can be created.

Very few people in this country will ever call out the USSF, big corporations like Nike or UNC for this sort of stuff.

There is more money available here for image than there is for being good at the game. This is a net result of a culture in which soccer excellence is unimportant. parents paying is all that really counts

Comment

The NWSL, the US domestic Women's professional soccer league, which is directly relevant to this thread, literally signs almost all it's players from the college ranks.
                      Thank you for explaining what NWSL is. Where else would they recruit from? Is there another place other than college in the US that they can play in their late teens and early 20’s? That’s where the failure starts in US soccer.

Comment

Good for her. I wish her well!

Let’s face it - she’s got us all talking and other little girls dreaming, and those are good things for the sport in this country. Soccer needs money and publicity to grow.

If she was a boy or poor or a minority, there would be less controversy about her parent’s choices. We celebrate Tiger Woods when his father had him out putting for hours on end.

What’s sad is:
                        1) the first reaction of some posters is to compare her to their own daughters. It shows that we can’t distinguish soccer talent, and if we can’t identify talent and promote it, then US soccer is in trouble.
                        2) there is nothing in the US for those on the pro track between the ages of 13-18. We force kids to play HS and college who are too talented for that. ECNL and DA are a joke for someone looking to go pro. They are forced to look abroad and that hurts US soccer.
                        i could not disagree more. Tiger Woods played an individual sport where the ONLY measure is the score. he was BETTER than others and clearly so. You cannot say that about this kid. You can say she has a bigger platform that other kids because her parents are rich and have cultivated it. Now Nike is elevating her platform on the back of what?

There are no pro teams for her to play for. She has not played a single game at that level. Compare her to any other young academy player trying to get a spot. Do you see Nike throwing money at them before they achieve anything? She is pro in name only because she has to be to take Nike $$

Thats it. The closest comparison to her would be Indie Cowie.

Comment

my strong suspicion is that the dad secretly thinks she can play in the men's pro game, which, meh.

Comment

I do educate them about apple and starbucks and nike etc. and I know what they are doing on social media as best I can. I suggest you do the same. what is your point?
                            No, what’s your point?

Comment

NWSL? laughing at her trying to do that in a College game. She would not start for any of the top teams.

Comment

fixed it for you
                                Are you my editor? If so, my advance is late, if not, whack-off.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X