Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    or maybe as i said we were one of a few that cared. The team player part is BS. Here is an expert talking about Ajax

A Team like Ajax is so good at Development because they value the individual player way more than the team. They focus from the bottom up at developing the best individuals and the team acts as the Tool. Results don’t matter at the youth level, the individual performance’s do.

you can integrate great players into a team. we dont give our great players the best chance to develop.

Mallory Pugh ( as an example) was anointed as the second coming and her skill set is basically speed. Thats nowhere near enough to be an international level star and yet the USSF and Nike are trying to pretend it is .

All this talk about team heart etc is masking the reality. we are not producing technically sound players in anything like the numbers we should
    Pugh is the exception to the rule rather a broad example. Most players didn’t join the full NT until they were in or just graduated college. Ellis pulled Pugh up from U-17 based on a good performance in Concacaf. She had tremendous skill for her age at that point, but Ellis jumped the gun. She should have let her progress through the system imo. Her recent injury and the current disarray on the USWNT haven’t helped Pugh.

As far as Ajax goes, I think you’re embolded by their win over RM, but don’t forget Ajax hasn’t been a UEFA powerhouse until late. They are playing moneyball with player selection, not just player development

Comment

the system is failing on the real development side. its not just ECNL . ECNL is a tournament platform pretending to be a lot more thru marketing. the CLUBS themselves dont get paid to develop.
      You’re right, the clubs do have some (if not more) responsibility. The issue with leagues like ECNL is that the clubs formed it and used it as the yardstick that they sell parents/players and colleges in determining quality of players. Putting the ECNL patch on a girl’s arm becomes a stamp of approval from the clubs that this is the best they have to offer regardless of the actual quality of development or play.

Comment

Pugh is the exception to the rule rather a broad example. Most players didn’t join the full NT until they were in or just graduated college. Ellis pulled Pugh up from U-17 based on a good performance in Concacaf. She had tremendous skill for her age at that point, but Ellis jumped the gun. She should have let her progress through the system imo. Her recent injury and the current disarray on the USWNT haven’t helped Pugh.

As far as Ajax goes, I think you’re embolded by their win over RM, but don’t forget Ajax hasn’t been a UEFA powerhouse until late. They are playing moneyball with player selection, not just player development
        no she didnt. she had speed. that is proven by the fact that an injury has perhaps impacted her quickness and now she has nothing.

tremendous skill does not desert a player. She is a poor passer, small space dribbler, game reader and finisher. her only plus asset was speed.

Comment

Ajax has been known to be one of, if not THE, leading program to develop players over the last 4 decades. They are constantly farmed for talent and their develop & sell model works.

Side note, if you consider them a UEFA powerhouse "of late", you are talking about the last 48 hours only. But, they have as much of a rich history in UEFA as any club on the continent.

Comment

please stop...forget RM. go back and look at the players they have developed...thats the point. I dont give a cr@p about whether they are a UEFA powerhouse or not. they still arent. but they have produced so many elite players that have key roles on some of the best teams. thats the point.

Develop players. If the US want to stay relevant in soccer they have to start giving the best talent a real development pathway at a young enough age to make a difference. to do that you have to be willing to tell players NO . you are not good enough

the US soccer system has no incentive to tell anyone NO you are not good enough to play at this level BUT you can certainly go play there until its too late.

Its all about $$ and thats ok, but lets just understand the consequences

Comment

Ajax has been known to be one of, if not THE, leading program to develop players over the last 4 decades. They are constantly farmed for talent and their develop & sell model works.

Side note, if you consider them a UEFA powerhouse "of late", you are talking about the last 48 hours only. But, they have as much of a rich history in UEFA as any club on the continent.
              tyvm ...spot on. if id seen your post i would not have responded. Cruyff rebuilt Barcelona ffs.

Comment

tyvm ...spot on. if id seen your post i would not have responded. Cruyff rebuilt Barcelona ffs.

right back atchya'

Comment

Depends on which player you’re talking about because some of them took different paths, but overall for the under 25 yo players, the only constants are usually ECNL team, USSF camp/Youth NT, and college.
                  Those youth ID camps do not identify talent they identify athleticism. There are many girls on PDA, East Meadow, Stars, and Penn Fusion as well as some other power house clubs that weren't called up because there is an over focus on speed. The technical players who know the game, connect passes, and can maintain possession are never called up. If you are not flashy and selfish then you don't have a chance. Good for Tobin Heath and Megan Rapino who made her path by being an accurate passer but thus far she's the only one.

Comment

Those youth ID camps do not identify talent they identify athleticism. There are many girls on PDA, East Meadow, Stars, and Penn Fusion as well as some other power house clubs that weren't called up because there is an over focus on speed. The technical players who know the game, connect passes, and can maintain possession are never called up. If you are not flashy and selfish then you don't have a chance. Good for Tobin Heath and Megan Rapino who made her path by being an accurate passer but thus far she's the only one.
                    i dont agree. they identify whatever the HC chooses to emphasize. Go look at the U17s or U20s now. There are a lot of not particularly athletic players on both teams. The rest of your post is just not true. Mewis, Brain and many others are accurate passers without being top level athletes.

Comment

It's OK. Maybe your D will get a chance next time...

Comment

It’s not that I don’t agree with you. I would much prefer NWSL operated like a top European pro league with clubs that developed players from early ages and allowed them latitude to play for whichever club offered a competitive deal, but we aren’t there yet. So I’ll settle for at least getting ONE USWNT that plays the best players rather than to keep carrying forward the same ones when that chemistry is breaking down.

Ellis put players like Zerboni, Short, Sullivan, etc. on the WC roster. They all came up through USSF system and have some international caps so in the face of injuries why hasn’t she started or subbed them in instead of playing veterans out of position? That’s the thing I don’t get - why given that there is some depth, that we don’t use it? It’s not just Development for me because there is an immediate problem that has an immediate solution like going to the bench so why do we keep playing the same aging stars?

Comment

It's OK. Maybe your D will get a chance next time...
                          Classic TS. My daughter is not a "camp" kid but I agree with the poster's point there is way too much emphasis on athleticism and not being a well rounded soccer player. France and Japan are beating us because they have more skilled players. We win on athleticism because that is a numbers game but the Tobin Heath/Sam Mewis type of players are more in the minority on US teams at all age levels. One could argue top club teams as well. HS is for the most part not skilled so I don't use that in my argument.

Comment

Classic TS. My daughter is not a "camp" kid but I agree with the poster's point there is way too much emphasis on athleticism and not being a well rounded soccer player. France and Japan are beating us because they have more skilled players. We win on athleticism because that is a numbers game but the Tobin Heath/Sam Mewis type of players are more in the minority on US teams at all age levels. One could argue top club teams as well. HS is for the most part not skilled so I don't use that in my argument.
                            My kid is a camp kid and I can tell you that the athlete excuse is false. They dont pick the best athletes either. There is no consistency, communication or plan. There is cutthroat mentality. A beat you down while we elevate others mentality that, fo those who dont thirive on , the construe as weakness.

Its just bad management and a failure to recognize that its their JOB to give every kid they pick a chance to show WHY they picked them. They dont get it

Comment

My kid is a camp kid and I can tell you that the athlete excuse is false. They dont pick the best athletes either. There is no consistency, communication or plan. There is cutthroat mentality. A beat you down while we elevate others mentality that, fo those who dont thirive on , the construe as weakness.

Its just bad management and a failure to recognize that its their JOB to give every kid they pick a chance to show WHY they picked them. They dont get it
                              And for those that crap out, pick others. All of this is a beat you down mentality (club, college and select teams including NT). It sucks. And may explain the lack of support for the NWSL, NT teams going on.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X