Talking-Soccer.com  

Go Back   Talking-Soccer.com > Soccer By Region / State > Region 1 > New York

Notices

New York Discussions about New York soccer.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-11-2017
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Tournaments & Hotel Booking

I have a quick question since I am very new to the world of tournaments. My child's team is playing in the EDP Fall Cup in october and the club sent a note to book a specific hotel. Is there a rule that you have to stay at the hotel that is linked to the tournament? Or is it kind of a club specific question?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-11-2017
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I have a quick question since I am very new to the world of tournaments. My child's team is playing in the EDP Fall Cup in october and the club sent a note to book a specific hotel. Is there a rule that you have to stay at the hotel that is linked to the tournament? Or is it kind of a club specific question?
you absolutely do NOT have to stay at the same hotel. if the rest of the team is at that hotel, it may be suggested (for bonding, etc). otherwise just get the best deal and comfort possible.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-11-2017
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I have a quick question since I am very new to the world of tournaments. My child's team is playing in the EDP Fall Cup in october and the club sent a note to book a specific hotel. Is there a rule that you have to stay at the hotel that is linked to the tournament? Or is it kind of a club specific question?
Some tournaments demand that you stay at their "official" hotels, basically because the tournament organizers get a kickback from the hotels. So while it may be the club making this demand, it is most likely the tournament that is really doing so.

In practice the tournament organizers will throw a big stink if entire teams didn't use the official hotels but stragglers can usually stay wherever they want unnoticed.

Personally, I would never go to a tournament with such a requirement if it were my decision.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-11-2017
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Yea it is the kiddo's first year in more competitive soccer and I am assuming we'll end up with the team at the "reco'd" hotel. Just was curious because if the rate is obscene i want to be able to wait it out and book where i want later if possible. This "club" endeavor is already getting enough money from me!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-11-2017
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Yea it is the kiddo's first year in more competitive soccer and I am assuming we'll end up with the team at the "reco'd" hotel. Just was curious because if the rate is obscene i want to be able to wait it out and book where i want later if possible. This "club" endeavor is already getting enough money from me!
Depending on size of tournament you maybe locked out of good choices. You will probably pay slightly more to stay at tournament hotel but kids and parents get benefit of bonding with others on the team. You usually get a decent hotel
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-11-2017
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Depending on size of tournament you maybe locked out of good choices. You will probably pay slightly more to stay at tournament hotel but kids and parents get benefit of bonding with others on the team. You usually get a decent hotel
Agreed that it's nice to stay with the team for the bonding and also simplicity if say you're running late and your kid needs to jump in a teammates car to get to the fields. Rates are usually slightly higher. Some you have to use their list and then your team manager or club will list all the families staying - then you can often cancel with the hotel on the side later.

Some high level events blackmail you to stay at one of their "partner" hotels. You have to book through an agency and the agency makes sure your team has (usually) at least 10-11 rooms booked (they know some players will travel with other families). Everyone is getting a piece$ so rates are higher. They threaten that if you don't make the requirement the team can be booted from the event. Hence why I used the word blackmail. We just had one and I had to change the hotel for logistics with teammates. Within half an hour they had emailed me asking why I'd canceled and reminding me of the policy. Once I showed them I had booked another from their list they backed off. However, we got in terribly late and the booking guaranteed my room at what turned out to be a very overbooked hotel. So in the end it worked even though it's an annoying and possibly not quite legal thing to do.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-11-2017
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Yea it is the kiddo's first year in more competitive soccer and I am assuming we'll end up with the team at the "reco'd" hotel. Just was curious because if the rate is obscene i want to be able to wait it out and book where i want later if possible. This "club" endeavor is already getting enough money from me!
I have looked up the recommend hotel on hotels.com and got it for a cheaper rate a couple of times. We were not in the same area as the rest of the team, but more than worth it.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-12-2017
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I have looked up the recommend hotel on hotels.com and got it for a cheaper rate a couple of times. We were not in the same area as the rest of the team, but more than worth it.
If you really have to save money so be it. But you will probably find your player is disappointed they can't hang out with teammates, run around the hotel together etc. It's a big part of the experience.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-12-2017
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
If you really have to save money so be it. But you will probably find your player is disappointed they can't hang out with teammates, run around the hotel together etc. It's a big part of the experience.
So be it is right. Life has lots of disappointments and part of growing up is learning to cope. The travel costs for far flung tournaments are killer. We have survived slumming it in lower cost digs just fine.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-12-2017
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
If you really have to save money so be it. But you will probably find your player is disappointed they can't hang out with teammates, run around the hotel together etc. It's a big part of the experience.
Both kids still hung out with there team mates, swam in the pool, had breakfast together. Our rooms weren't in the same hallway, that is the only difference.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.