Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tryouts Being Cancelled?

So, all clubs are announcing tryouts in late April and May. Under the circumstances, that seems very unrealistic. More likely all the restrictions on group gatherings will continue. Have any clubs addressed this? What happens if tryouts can't be held in April/May or even later? Do current teams just roll over to a new season?

Just don’t do them. Let’s be honest most teams are pre-selected anyways outside of a few tweeners and tryouts are pointless.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      So, all clubs are announcing tryouts in late April and May. Under the circumstances, that seems very unrealistic. More likely all the restrictions on group gatherings will continue. Have any clubs addressed this? What happens if tryouts can't be held in April/May or even later? Do current teams just roll over to a new season?
      If all Americans don’t start major social distancing this virus will get out of control and there won’t be any college soccer in the fall even. Acting like this is a hoax and only concerns old people is going to be our ruin.

Comment

Just don’t do them. Let’s be honest most teams are pre-selected anyways outside of a few tweeners and tryouts are pointless.
        I think cancel and then when soccer starts again rolling individual tryouts with teams like Reign basically does already...for kids trying to start/break into ECNL, no reason tryouts can't happen after fall high school season, if that happens...

Comment

Well, Sounders cancellation is extended to May 9, so there is zero chance youth clubs will doing tryouts before then. They will need to announce cancellations soon and try to keep current teams together.

Comment

Highly doubtful tryouts will happen in May. Until schools open up, which probably won’t happen this school year) the soonest normal activity will probably start again is August (which is doubtful). Wouldn’t be surprised Fall HS sports are cancelled as well. If this happens, clubs should offer reduced fees.

Comment

No, tryouts will happen, but delayed

Comment

Seattle United posted a video today with the directors saying that tryouts may only be held for younger age groups that still have new players entering the club. Basically confirming what we already know--the teams are pre-selected.

Comment

Wait, you mean the coaching staff who has been around these kids for years might know who should make the A team? Shocking.

Comment

A realist!!!! I am so happy to see someone gets it!!!

Comment

I predict all the High School Fall sports season will be cancelled when both testing and an FDA approved vaccine is readily available. How club sports handle tryouts remains to be seen. I imagine the loss of revenue is going to shut many smaller independent clubs down permanently and bigger clubs downsizing staff. Many families won't be able to afford sports with the economic downturn and unemployment rates rising fast.

Comment

I predict all the High School Fall sports season will be cancelled when both testing and an FDA approved vaccine is readily available. How club sports handle tryouts remains to be seen. I imagine the loss of revenue is going to shut many smaller independent clubs down permanently and bigger clubs downsizing staff. Many families won't be able to afford sports with the economic downturn and unemployment rates rising fast.
                        This is depressing but probably somewhat accurate. We are on track to have great job loss than in the great depression, and more suddenly as well

Comment

If what you are saying is true, then Crossfire should do very well, being the only club that offers funding.

Comment

If what you are saying is true, then Crossfire should do very well, being the only club that offers funding.
                            But where does that funding come from? ;-)

Comment

But where does that funding come from? ;-)
                              I have wondered the same thing -- will it be sustainable in this climate? I wonder if they could do sliding scale payments or something. I'm sure many families would contribute if they are able.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X