Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    There were tons of D1 coaches in Houston. More than there were in 2017. Sorry to burst your bubble. We had over 130 coaches come to our (U16) games, 103 of them were D1.
    I hear you. It was nice, but most of those D1 schools my kid would never attend. Come on, University of Central Arkansas? School first, soccer second.

Comment

I hear you. It was nice, but most of those D1 schools my kid would never attend. Come on, University of Central Arkansas? School first, soccer second.
      Yeah, my kid probably won't go to school in Arkansas either, but can we stop putting down schools and options that might be a great fit for someone else? Not everyone is made of money and a scholarship to a less famous school could be someone kid's golden ticket. There are great educational options everywhere, even at so called no name schools.

Comment

Yeah, my kid probably won't go to school in Arkansas either, but can we stop putting down schools and options that might be a great fit for someone else? Not everyone is made of money and a scholarship to a less famous school could be someone kid's golden ticket. There are great educational options everywhere, even at so called no name schools.
        If you have the money to pay for Ecnl, don’t you have enough money to go to much better schools than some of those low academic D1 soccer schools

Comment

If you have the money to pay for Ecnl, don’t you have enough money to go to much better schools than some of those low academic D1 soccer schools
          A lot of parents on this board seem to live in a wealthy Seattle bubble. Big price difference between ECNL fees and college tuition. Talk to parents in other parts of the country. Getting the most athletic money is important to a lot of people. Those parents value academics too, but if they can get athetic and merit money from good grades stacked at an affordable school, that works for them. Not everyone is obsessed with a fancy school. Not everyone thinks it's okay for kids to graduate with debt. Like I said, I want something different for my kid too but there's no shame in a family choosing a different route.

Comment

Love this comment!

Comment

Elitism is what drives these threads. Posting win-loss records, club rankings, the need to belittle club choices and college choices, etc. In reality, none of it matters. Do what’s best for your kid’s happiness and what works best for the family. Everything outside of that is just noise.

Comment

Elitism is what drives these threads. Posting win-loss records, club rankings, the need to belittle club choices and college choices, etc. In reality, none of it matters. Do what’s best for your kid’s happiness and what works best for the family. Everything outside of that is just noise.
                Agree and since it’s a soccer forum there is also elitism about going D1 over d3 even if the academics at the D1 are much lower. Merit money lasts all 4 years too, and other than the P5 schools, D1 athletes lose scholarship dollars all the time. What does the student do that can only afford college based on D1 if they get injured, don’t perform or are replaced by better incoming players? Maybe that student would’ve been better off at a d3 with merit money and financial aid that isn’t tied to soccer?

Comment

Agree and since it’s a soccer forum there is also elitism about going D1 over d3 even if the academics at the D1 are much lower. Merit money lasts all 4 years too, and other than the P5 schools, D1 athletes lose scholarship dollars all the time. What does the student do that can only afford college based on D1 if they get injured, don’t perform or are replaced by better incoming players? Maybe that student would’ve been better off at a d3 with merit money and financial aid that isn’t tied to soccer?
                  D3s are still expensive even with merit money and financial aid. If we're talking about money not tied to soccer then going to one of our local state schools without soccer is going to be the best deal. In fact, if you have good grades and test scores you can get great merit aid (more than athletics).

Comment

A lot of parents on this board seem to live in a wealthy Seattle bubble. Big price difference between ECNL fees and college tuition. Talk to parents in other parts of the country. Getting the most athletic money is important to a lot of people. Those parents value academics too, but if they can get athetic and merit money from good grades stacked at an affordable school, that works for them. Not everyone is obsessed with a fancy school. Not everyone thinks it's okay for kids to graduate with debt. Like I said, I want something different for my kid too but there's no shame in a family choosing a different route.
                    Come on, be honest and look deeper than this surface statement. What is the true cost of trying to play in college and maybe getting an athletic scholarship? How much did ECNL Texas set you back? How much money, time, and effort did you spend to get your dd at this level? The privates, travel, camps, Coveur, futsal, driving back and forth, your time waiting, her time training, shoes, equipment, etc. Put a dollar value on your time and her time. Time where you could have been working harder to make more money. Her time where she could have been studying harder, part-time job, and other activities.

At U16, this is near end product of club soccer to present before the college coaches. If you and your dd didn't put this effort, time, and money, there is no freaking way she could be recruited to play in college. Now, think of that dollar value and costs of soccer per year. Put this that every year in a 529 plan. Bingo.

I have another child who didn't play sports, but had awesome grades, test scores, and other activities. Instead of athletic + merit, think 529 + merit. About the same result, but no fear of being cut, injured, spending D1-D3 level of time working out, training etc. Yeah, not as glamorous or bragging to friends about D1 sports, but very safe, secure and no stress.

Comment

Come on, be honest and look deeper than this surface statement. What is the true cost of trying to play in college and maybe getting an athletic scholarship? How much did ECNL Texas set you back? How much money, time, and effort did you spend to get your dd at this level? The privates, travel, camps, Coveur, futsal, driving back and forth, your time waiting, her time training, shoes, equipment, etc. Put a dollar value on your time and her time. Time where you could have been working harder to make more money. Her time where she could have been studying harder, part-time job, and other activities.

At U16, this is near end product of club soccer to present before the college coaches. If you and your dd didn't put this effort, time, and money, there is no freaking way she could be recruited to play in college. Now, think of that dollar value and costs of soccer per year. Put this that every year in a 529 plan. Bingo.

I have another child who didn't play sports, but had awesome grades, test scores, and other activities. Instead of athletic + merit, think 529 + merit. About the same result, but no fear of being cut, injured, spending D1-D3 level of time working out, training etc. Yeah, not as glamorous or bragging to friends about D1 sports, but very safe, secure and no stress.
                      I think you're missing something: kids start soccer because it's fun, they're friends are doing it and parents want to support their kid's interest. Hopefully no one is starting their 5 yr old expecting it will lead to a scholarship. But for kids who continue playing into teen yrs, have the ability and drive to play in college, eventually the idea of athletic money comes into the picture.

You are still looking at this through a Seattle lens though -- there are families who DRIVE from midwest to San Diego for their kids' soccer showcases because that's what's in the family budget vs flying. There isn't a Corveur in every city that parents are sending their kids to. Not everyone is hiring private trainers. All those extras will make a good athlete better but can't instill athletic ability that isn't already there. You can judge and say if the family budget is that tight then all that money should go in a 529 but that's like saying only rich kids should play soccer. It okay for parents at alower income to want to support something their kid enjoys and sacrifice to make it happen. It is okay to for a kid want to play D1 soccer, full stop, and if they have the ability to get rostered somewhere that they're excited about while gettiing an education that allows them to achieve their goals, fantastic. Not everyone cares about going to Harvard.

Comment

How much money, time, and effort did you spend to get your dd at this level? The privates, travel, camps, Coveur, futsal, driving back and forth, your time waiting, her time training, shoes, equipment, etc. Put a dollar value on your time and her time. Time where you could have been working harder to make more money. Her time where she could have been studying harder, part-time job, and other activities.

DS played club soccer starting in 4th grade, now heading into final season before graduating HS next year. Have spent countless hours driving him to practices, tournaments, futsal, camps etc. Too numerous to count. Not to mention the $$ on club fees, kits, shoes, travel costs through all these years.

Even if he doesn’t play at the next level, would I regret any of this? Not a chance. The time spent with him in the car, listening to music, talking to him, cheering for him through victories and defeats, watching him play the sport he loves - absolutely priceless. The things he learned: discipline, determination, teamwork, dedication - absolutely priceless.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                        Auto-Saved
                        x
                        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                        x
                        Working...
                        X