Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another League Forming In Washington; What does it mean for Oregon?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another League Forming In Washington; What does it mean for Oregon?

Just what the region needs, another league! http://www.washingtonsay.org/

What are the prospects of OYSA staying together for even 2-yrs? This Timbers' contract is a weight around their neck; disgusting to anyone who is paying attention. Rising players cards, rising league and tournament fees, and subsidizing the for-profit Peregrine outfit . . . we may not see OPL part 2, but something else is going to come into this state.

What kind of contract do the Timbers Alliance clubs have to bind them to stay in an alliance with the Timbers? Cracks are starting to form but it would take the break up of the Timbers Alliance. Would that ever happen?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      What kind of contract do the Timbers Alliance clubs have to bind them to stay in an alliance with the Timbers? Cracks are starting to form but it would take the break up of the Timbers Alliance. Would that ever happen?
      You should be a fiction writer---there is no alliance or any contract that binds any clubs to the timbers brand...It was a clever move by GW to blow up the OPL with no substantive exchange to the clubs other than being branded by a 40 year old moniker 'Timbers' as the carrot.

The greatest myth ever told..a

Comment

Just what the region needs, another league! http://www.washingtonsay.org/

What are the prospects of OYSA staying together for even 2-yrs? This Timbers' contract is a weight around their neck; disgusting to anyone who is paying attention. Rising players cards, rising league and tournament fees, and subsidizing the for-profit Peregrine outfit . . . we may not see OPL part 2, but something else is going to come into this state.
        This is a joke league. They've been trying to start that for a couple of years now but no one is interested.

Comment

You should be a fiction writer---there is no alliance or any contract that binds any clubs to the timbers brand...It was a clever move by GW to blow up the OPL with no substantive exchange to the clubs other than being branded by a 40 year old moniker 'Timbers' as the carrot.

The greatest myth ever told..a
          There are signed agreements between the Timbers and each Alliance club. I've seen the one between WashT and Timbers.

Comment

"His focus is to reach out to kids far and wide who are not served by the 'pay-to-play' model. His mission is to make premier soccer coaching and competition available to kids from all backgrounds and to help players achieve their dreams to play soccer at the highest level possible. "

This should be what every club and youth association should be doing.

Comment

"His focus is to reach out to kids far and wide who are not served by the 'pay-to-play' model. His mission is to make premier soccer coaching and competition available to kids from all backgrounds and to help players achieve their dreams to play soccer at the highest level possible. "

This should be what every club and youth association should be doing.
              No money for the Timbers in that.

Comment

There are signed agreements between the Timbers and each Alliance club. I've seen the one between WashT and Timbers.
                If you break the contract all you lose is the NASL now MLS nickname 'Timbers'...and the ability to sell tickets to your membership at full face value in the nose bleed section of Providence Park.

There are no consequences for a non-profit Soccer Club in Medford, Bend, Eugene, Salem, Beaverton, Gresham or Vancouver to disassociate from the Portland Timbers/Thorns entity.

These are volunteer based recreational club memberships for the most part or classic aged kiddos playing for the love of the game.

All this ever was and will be, was a ploy to blow up the OPL...it worked. Now it's over.

Comment

If you break the contract all you lose is the NASL now MLS nickname 'Timbers'...and the ability to sell tickets to your membership at full face value in the nose bleed section of Providence Park.

There are no consequences for a non-profit Soccer Club in Medford, Bend, Eugene, Salem, Beaverton, Gresham or Vancouver to disassociate from the Portland Timbers/Thorns entity.

These are volunteer based recreational club memberships for the most part or classic aged kiddos playing for the love of the game.

All this ever was and will be, was a ploy to blow up the OPL...it worked. Now it's over.
                  It was certainly not meant to improve youth soccer in Oregon, that much is clear.

Comment

It was certainly not meant to improve youth soccer in Oregon, that much is clear.
                    Blowing up the OPL was necessary...the landing spot of the OYSA is natural, but the unnatural fleecing of the families through league fees & tourney fees run through the Timbers/Thorns running these activities, for profit borders on a criminal enterprise of extortion.

Comment

As someone from one of those "volunteer based recreational clubs," I could not disagree more. We have professional coaches - my kid has never had a coach lower than a B license. We place players in all college levels including D1. Our players are good enough for thorns academy and ECNL to come through and poach year after year.

Your points about what we get for being a TA club (nothing) are valid. But your condescending attitude about the quality of soccer outside your little PDX circle is exactly why the Timbers Alliance formed. Clubs in Salem, Bend, Eugene, and Medford got sick of having 11 away games in a 14 game season because (gasp) some portland parents actually had to spend a Saturday driving their kid to an away game. We got tired of not having a seat of the table and being treated like OPL's red headed stepchild. Unfortunately, we went from one bad organization to another. I'm glad this is my last kid doing club soccer because I am almost done with the dysfunctional mess.

Comment

Blowing up the OPL was necessary...the landing spot of the OYSA is natural, but the unnatural fleecing of the families through league fees & tourney fees run through the Timbers/Thorns running these activities, for profit borders on a criminal enterprise of extortion.
                        It's maddening but can we do anything about it? Apparently our DOC likes the arrangement.

Comment

Why was it necessary? The competition in OYSA is NOT better than it was in OPL, it's much worse.

Comment

As someone from one of those "volunteer based recreational clubs," I could not disagree more. We have professional coaches - my kid has never had a coach lower than a B license. We place players in all college levels including D1. Our players are good enough for thorns academy and ECNL to come through and poach year after year.

Your points about what we get for being a TA club (nothing) are valid. But your condescending attitude about the quality of soccer outside your little PDX circle is exactly why the Timbers Alliance formed. Clubs in Salem, Bend, Eugene, and Medford got sick of having 11 away games in a 14 game season because (gasp) some portland parents actually had to spend a Saturday driving their kid to an away game. We got tired of not having a seat of the table and being treated like OPL's red headed stepchild. Unfortunately, we went from one bad organization to another. I'm glad this is my last kid doing club soccer because I am almost done with the dysfunctional mess.
                            I guess your definition of a professional coach is different than mine, even though I never shared my expectation of what one might be.

So here is my definition of a Professional coach in the states: MLS/USL/NASL Head/Staff Coach or Full Time paid NCAA D1/D2 /D3 or NAIA Full Time Coach. With some exceptions of course.

Having a coaching license doesn't make anyone 'professional' it means they took a course offered by US Soccer or the NSCAA or some other body, which is great but has no correlation to being 'a professional paid coach', it could, but using this type of one off course taking as being the standard for 'a professional coach in soccer' is dangerous at best.

Soccer in Oregon stinks today no matter what area it comes from-sorry if that fact didn't come through loud and clear. My apologies.

We all sit at the same stanky table my friend, no need to RSVP.

Comment

Why was it necessary? The competition in OYSA is NOT better than it was in OPL, it's much worse.
                              Nor was the OPL ever as competitive as the OYSA was, prior to the OPL forming

..It's been a constant dilution since the hey days of the ole OYSA, then came OPL, then came USDA, then came ECNL, then came GDA... then add another local club to the stench pot-- Crossfire, WT TS, THELO, TFA, GPS, ADF, NSC, BSC, excreta club, excreta club, excreta club.....

Today everything in general is much, much worse for all users.

Did you have a point? other than sharing the obvious.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X