Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

East Coast GDA info

Interesting info being shared on the Connecticut TS page (yes, I am bored at work). One of their clubs had a GDA informational meeting last week. According to those who attended, GDA teams will only be allowed to issue a max of 10 waivers per team to play high school soccer. The 25% start rule is legit. No subbing and re-entering in same half.

The poster speculated that the waiver rule is in response to the competition that ECNL provides - girls can do ECNL and still play high school soccer, so GDA has to offer something similar (as opposed to the boys side where up til now there hasn't been another opportunity aside from DA). But the interesting point is the maximum of 10 waivers per team. That means that, for the current Thorns academy teams, 15 girls on each team would not be allowed to do high school soccer next year. This makes sense, because they have to have 15 to field a team for their fall season games.

The poster went on to speculate (and I tend to agree) that this is going to be a huge source of discord among the GDA teams. The clubs will likely save the waivers for the most talented players (knowing they will lose them if they don't offer waivers). The pine riders will start and get significant playing time in the fall while the superstars are off tearing it up in high school. When HS season ends, the pine riders will resume their spots at the end of the bench and the players that the GDA clubs really care about will take over their starting spots. GDA will have covered their bases with the 25% start rule by starting the pine riders during high school season, so they can get away with only starting their top 11 once those stars return from high school.

I find this very interesting given the parents I know with kids currently playing on the Thorns teams. First of all, my guess is every single parent thinks his/her DD will be one of those top 10 players granted a waiver. Second, my guess is every single parent of a pine rider will be none too pleased to see their kid shunted aside when the stars return.

The last thing this Connecticut person shared didn't really apply to us but was also interesting. This club was guaranteeing every single current player would make either GDA or their NPL team. That seems like a bold and somewhat foolish stance to take. What if a bunch of SUPER superstars come flocking to their club? It tells me that #1, they know the GDA thing isn't sitting well with their parents and they need to keep those current families happy by promising something that, in my years of experience in club soccer, is unprecedented - a guaranteed spot on a team without trying out; and #2, they know that they are not going to get that big influx of SUPER superstars...which says a lot about their confidence in their product.

Interesting reading regardless.

Next door in Massachusetts FC Stars has sent out their notice for tryouts late February. In the notice a. Ranch DOC was referenced as contact person and likely the Clubs DOC will not coac DA. Also in Ma the Boston Breakers franchise is rumored to be leaving the ECNL after just one year.

Comment

'Branch DOC' sp

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        Next door in Massachusetts FC Stars has sent out their notice for tryouts late February. In the notice a. Ranch DOC was referenced as contact person and likely the Clubs DOC will not coac DA. Also in Ma the Boston Breakers franchise is rumored to be leaving the ECNL after just one year.
        Been hearing that new ECNL teams that also got GDA have to choose one.
        Of course, clubs will never give a head's up to parents until 1 week before tryouts.

Comment

I've always heard that the Portuguese up in Fall River are difficult to understand. Now I can relate.

Comment

How do private school kids get waivers? Private school isn't allowed to give sports scholarships. If students must play a sport in private school, they can run xc or do another sport & then go to DA training.

Comment

How do private school kids get waivers? Private school isn't allowed to give sports scholarships. If students must play a sport in private school, they can run xc or do another sport & then go to DA training.
              Happens all the time on the boys side. Super studs need not prove anything. Lower level players will likely be rejected for a waiver request. Besides, wealthy private/prep schools with large endowments can call "athletic" money "merit" money. Problem solved. Parochial (Catholic) schools tend to be purely needs based.

Comment

Happens all the time on the boys side. Super studs need not prove anything. Lower level players will likely be rejected for a waiver request. Besides, wealthy private/prep schools with large endowments can call "athletic" money "merit" money. Problem solved. Parochial (Catholic) schools tend to be purely needs based.
                Even so, the private schools don't have in writing that they must play a particular sport. Why doesn't DA forbid outside soccer for all & the private school kids can run XC or do some other sport for their school. If some don't get waivers, none should get waivers. USSF needs to decide on a policy & stick to it. Otherwise, it means you don't believe in your own development plan.

Comment

Even so, the private schools don't have in writing that they must play a particular sport. Why doesn't DA forbid outside soccer for all & the private school kids can run XC or do some other sport for their school. If some don't get waivers, none should get waivers. USSF needs to decide on a policy & stick to it. Otherwise, it means you don't believe in your own development plan.
                  As was said earlier, they don't believe in their development plan and their mission is not to improve youth soccer - it's to run ECNL into the ground and get that whole fat money pie to themselves.

Comment

As was said earlier, they don't believe in their development plan and their mission is not to improve youth soccer - it's to run ECNL into the ground and get that whole fat money pie to themselves.
                    Agree. We don't need another Ecnl, we need a true GDA that will be better & smaller & different. Too bad all anyone cares about is money & power.

Comment

They'll continue to do what they want to retain the players they want, the rest need not apply. An average DA player has no shot of getting a waiver and should seriously consider other options. Girls have options and soon with ENPL boys will as well. Always remember USSF doesn't care about 99% of the players; in other words they won't have your kids' or my kids' or just about any kids' best interest in mind. Chose wisely.

Comment

Agree. We don't need another Ecnl, we need a true GDA that will be better & smaller & different. Too bad all anyone cares about is money & power.
                        I've been saying that since GDA was announced and it became even more clear once they announced ECNL 2.0 (which is copied from BDA 1.0). Smaller, more focused, even better free for the nation's top 1%, residency program maybe? Be creative and focus on the nation's ultra talented. Use ECNL as a feeder system. USSF wants the whole pie; one piece isn't enough for them

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                        Auto-Saved
                        x
                        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                        x
                        Working...
                        X