X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I have fond memories of band camp :)
    call them what you will, but band kids have a lot more fun than sports kids.

Comment

They tend to have more balanced normal parents also. Some sport parents are simply nuts.

Comment

I typed closers, not losers.

Comment

its a freak fest!!!! the parties are much better than sports parties
          then again they can go to practice hung over

Comment

This sh!t had gone sideways. Berkshire. Soccer. Academy. Reviews.

Comment

This sh!t had gone sideways. Berkshire. Soccer. Academy. Reviews.
              If you have money to burn, go for it.

Comment

Mia Hamm has a lifestyle to maintain.....at your expense. Sign up today and receive a free t-shirt!

Comment

I asked the Princess if she wanted to attend the Mia Hamm session and she said "Who?" Everybody has a sell-by date. Even the greats.

Comment

I typed closers, not losers.
                    Always be closing!

Comment

They tend to have more balanced normal parents also. Some sport parents are simply nuts.
                      Agreed 100%. Been associated with both groups and band parenting (participating in events, fundraisers, etc) is actually pretty enjoyable. Everyone seems to pull in the same direction. I find that there's a lot more hidden agendas, cliques, and just plain mean and miserable people amongst team sports parents. Done the gymnastics thing too, and those people are kooks, like team sports parents but raised to the next level.

Comment

Always be closing!
                        Exactly.

Comment

Agreed 100%. Been associated with both groups and band parenting (participating in events, fundraisers, etc) is actually pretty enjoyable. Everyone seems to pull in the same direction. I find that there's a lot more hidden agendas, cliques, and just plain mean and miserable people amongst team sports parents. Done the gymnastics thing too, and those people are kooks, like team sports parents but raised to the next level.
                          the competition for the lead trombone is fierce. Nothing against Band but its a totally different dynamic. now limit the number of members to 15 or 20 and if you don't make the cut you sit out- then you will see the similarities

Comment

My 11yr old went last summer. It is a good mix of camp and soccer. She wants more soccer so is not going back but it was a fun all around camp with a soccer focus.

The girls sleep in cabins and spend afternoons at the waterfront or other activities. The counselors were all nice and great energy. I'd recommend the bridge session. Not soccer but a fun outing that the girls enjoyed.

Comment

My 11yr old went last summer. It is a good mix of camp and soccer. She wants more soccer so is not going back but it was a fun all around camp with a soccer focus.

The girls sleep in cabins and spend afternoons at the waterfront or other activities. The counselors were all nice and great energy. I'd recommend the bridge session. Not soccer but a fun outing that the girls enjoyed.
                              There are countless camps that can offer "fun" for a lot less money. Plenty of other stronger soccer-focused camps as well.

Comment

I am going to bite my tounge at one or two of the previous comments, because as a parent that has sent their two daughters to Berkshire for the last 2 summers, some of them are insulting to me and have ignored the original question

My daughters have loved the past two summers, and we intend to sign them back up this summer and we are taking some friends back with them too. We are also planning on signing up for some other college camps too. Although it is true that you can send your kids to many "other" camps for the price of Berkshire, it is also true that you can buy many McDonalds Happy meals for the price of a nice restaurant dinner. In my opinion, you get what you pay for.

So in this case it really comes down to what you are looking for your daughter to get out of their experience. Now I'm not going to say that my daughters have not thoroughly enjoyed those "other" camps, as they will continue to do so this summer. But those "other" camps do not seem to take as much time or care over my daughters emotional safety and overall experience as Berkshire has shown. And there also seems to be a pretty big trade off in actual skill development for a false sense of exposure to a college or their coaches and scouts.

Overall I would recommend the place, and would recommend you to ignore the gimmicks. Mia Hamm is not what makes Berkshire, and frankly we avoid that week, but from our experience it is an organization that truly cares, that has great staff working with the kids and give girls great experiences

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X