Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    They don't get credit because when the girls commit, college coaches tell them to play ECNL for the rest of high school to get ready for the faster pace of college soccer. Fact. So when they have their official signing day they are considered an ECNL recruit even though they may have only played for FCP or CU for a year or so.
    Maybe if those Timbers clubs were actually any good their girls wouldn't have to leave?

Comment

TA parent and I'm sad to say I agree with most. I would add how delusional the administrators of thorns academy are, saying that TA clubs "unanimously support" sending their "best" to thorns academy and then having academy teams entered in OYSA league and TA tournaments like Beaverton. Can't quite figure out if they are lying or they are THAT stupid.
      Winner!

Comment

Thorns Academy doesn't have to pay to enter those leagues or tournaments either. Funded by all those that pay extra so Thorns can play for free.

Comment

Maybe if those Timbers clubs were actually any good their girls wouldn't have to leave?
          I wouldn't be bragging too much your organization that represents Oregon are at the bottom of the barrel. I would say FC Portland has more going for it than CU . They should just combine them and maybe some success would come from it.

Comment

"those people" are called winners. It's natural selection. Darwinism if you will. Now you can strive to be the best of the rest. Congrats
            Keep chumming. It's evident you don't fall into the "good family" category and I can bet that I'd spot you on the sidelines immediately at one of your games. Probably with the monkey tail hanging out the back of your pants.

Comment

They don't get credit because when the girls commit, college coaches tell them to play ECNL for the rest of high school to get ready for the faster pace of college soccer. Fact. So when they have their official signing day they are considered an ECNL recruit even though they may have only played for FCP or CU for a year or so.
              Really? Which girls?

Comment

The ECNL lemmings on here pounding their chests about how great ECNL in Oregon is and according to top drawer the 2018 class has a grand total of seven commitments. At a time when D1 is pretty much done with recruiting that's pathetic. Portland state hasn't scooped up their usual three or four players. I guess their aren't any bruising enforcer types in the class. Total roster count of 40-45 and there are seven. Lol.

Comment

The ECNL lemmings on here pounding their chests about how great ECNL in Oregon is and according to top drawer the 2018 class has a grand total of seven commitments. At a time when D1 is pretty much done with recruiting that's pathetic. Portland state hasn't scooped up their usual three or four players. I guess their aren't any bruising enforcer types in the class. Total roster count of 40-45 and there are seven. Lol.
                  Obviously you don't know how this works. 2018 girls are juniors and most don't publicize their commitments until senior year. Yes, there are 7 right now - ALL from ECNL clubs. 2017 has 21 - all but two from ECNL clubs.

Just for fun I compared Washington - a much bigger soccer "powerhouse" than Oregon. They have 47 in the 2017 class - including two who play for FCP ECNL (so I guess that means Washington has 45 and Oregon has 23 if you want to consider where they play their club soccer vs where they live). In the 2018 class, Washington has 20. 3 of the 20 play for Oregon clubs (two for FCP and one for Westside). So again, if you consider the club where they play, Oregon has 10 committed for 2018 and Washington has 17. That seems about right.

For more fun, I looked at the 2019's. Washington has 4 - 3 ECNL players and the Ellertson girl who lists Salmon Creek but who was a Discovery Player for ECNL.

In comparision, Oregon lists one 2019 recruit - she plays for Salmon Creek so again, to be fair, I would say Washington has 5 and Oregon has zero. I know of two Oregon 2019's who have committed verbally already, but neither are listed on Top Drawer. Not going to name names because they aren't my kids so you'll have to take my word for it :)

Comment

Obviously you don't know how this works. 2018 girls are juniors and most don't publicize their commitments until senior year. Yes, there are 7 right now - ALL from ECNL clubs. 2017 has 21 - all but two from ECNL clubs.

Just for fun I compared Washington - a much bigger soccer "powerhouse" than Oregon. They have 47 in the 2017 class - including two who play for FCP ECNL (so I guess that means Washington has 45 and Oregon has 23 if you want to consider where they play their club soccer vs where they live). In the 2018 class, Washington has 20. 3 of the 20 play for Oregon clubs (two for FCP and one for Westside). So again, if you consider the club where they play, Oregon has 10 committed for 2018 and Washington has 17. That seems about right.

For more fun, I looked at the 2019's. Washington has 4 - 3 ECNL players and the Ellertson girl who lists Salmon Creek but who was a Discovery Player for ECNL.

In comparision, Oregon lists one 2019 recruit - she plays for Salmon Creek so again, to be fair, I would say Washington has 5 and Oregon has zero. I know of two Oregon 2019's who have committed verbally already, but neither are listed on Top Drawer. Not going to name names because they aren't my kids so you'll have to take my word for it :)
                    Fake news...

Wait til the school officially does a press release on NLI for any sport. Otherwise it's just more internet garbage.

Then if you really want the outcomes check a year later and see if the student-athlete is even attending the 'committed' school.

Smoke an Mirrors for the masses.

Comment

Fake news...

Wait til the school officially does a press release on NLI for any sport. Otherwise it's just more internet garbage.

Then if you really want the outcomes check a year later and see if the student-athlete is even attending the 'committed' school.

Smoke an Mirrors for the masses.
                      Agree completely. Top Drawer is no more reliable than Got Soccer rankings.

Comment

So 7 more than all Timbers clubs combined then.

Comment

I wouldn't be bragging too much your organization that represents Oregon are at the bottom of the barrel. I would say FC Portland has more going for it than CU . They should just combine them and maybe some success would come from it.
                          Why combine? They both already get most of their ECNL girls into college soccer. Combining would just reduce the numbers of opportunities. What should be eliminated, however, is Thorns Academy. Three year in and not one Academy player in college or moved any higher in the Thorns pyramid. Total disgrace.

Comment

So it sounds like the best course of action for girls' players is to:

a) Play at whatever club you like until recruitment age--FC and CU have no advantages in coaching whatsoever, at the younger ages.
                            b) If sufficiently talented for a college career, then consider switching to an ECNL club in order to maximize exposure.

But no need to bother with ECNL before then. THUSC, FC, and the various Crossfire clubs are all good clubs, so if you like those clubs, great--play there--but so are the various non-ECNL clubs. The only real advantage that the ECNL clubs offer over the non-ECNL clubs is in exposure to college recruiters, and that's not much of an issue until you're well into high school.

But the notion that ECNL clubs have manifestly superior coaching or are better at developing players, seems to be utterly unsupported by evidence. Lots of fine players come out of TA clubs or independent clubs, some of whom do switch to FC or CU for the junior and senior-year cattle calls. And likewise, anyone who tells you that you need to play at a certain club--or to travel--to experience "faster speed of play" is full of it; any younger girls' team can be exposed to faster play speeds by scrimmaging against older girls or against boys. (Likewise on the boys' side--nothing prepares a boys' team for success like beatdowns against older boys).

Likewise, the notion that middle-school girls at HSC or Whatever Timbers are throwing away their chance at a collegiate career because they don't join ECNL at age 14, is equally ridiculous. If you're a talented player, you'll have a shot later in your career. Likewise, if you are at an ECNL club at a young age--don't think you have a leg up on girls who play elsewhere; you'll always be fighting for your spot as more and more girls are recruited in and compete with you for the spots on the HS teams. As you get closer to college, the game of Survivor gets more intense, and more and more girls get voted off the island.

So--there is advantage in ECNL. Don't deny that. But don't let anyone tell you that the ECNL teams possess soccer knowledge unknown to the other local clubs. It's a recruiting platform. That's it. Below U16 or so, it's not really any better than anyone else in town.

Comment

Just remember that Soccer is the most important aspect of college.

Comment

So it sounds like the best course of action for girls' players is to:

a) Play at whatever club you like until recruitment age--FC and CU have no advantages in coaching whatsoever, at the younger ages.
                                b) If sufficiently talented for a college career, then consider switching to an ECNL club in order to maximize exposure.

But no need to bother with ECNL before then. THUSC, FC, and the various Crossfire clubs are all good clubs, so if you like those clubs, great--play there--but so are the various non-ECNL clubs. The only real advantage that the ECNL clubs offer over the non-ECNL clubs is in exposure to college recruiters, and that's not much of an issue until you're well into high school.

But the notion that ECNL clubs have manifestly superior coaching or are better at developing players, seems to be utterly unsupported by evidence. Lots of fine players come out of TA clubs or independent clubs, some of whom do switch to FC or CU for the junior and senior-year cattle calls. And likewise, anyone who tells you that you need to play at a certain club--or to travel--to experience "faster speed of play" is full of it; any younger girls' team can be exposed to faster play speeds by scrimmaging against older girls or against boys. (Likewise on the boys' side--nothing prepares a boys' team for success like beatdowns against older boys).

Likewise, the notion that middle-school girls at HSC or Whatever Timbers are throwing away their chance at a collegiate career because they don't join ECNL at age 14, is equally ridiculous. If you're a talented player, you'll have a shot later in your career. Likewise, if you are at an ECNL club at a young age--don't think you have a leg up on girls who play elsewhere; you'll always be fighting for your spot as more and more girls are recruited in and compete with you for the spots on the HS teams. As you get closer to college, the game of Survivor gets more intense, and more and more girls get voted off the island.

So--there is advantage in ECNL. Don't deny that. But don't let anyone tell you that the ECNL teams possess soccer knowledge unknown to the other local clubs. It's a recruiting platform. That's it. Below U16 or so, it's not really any better than anyone else in town.
                                The only thing that stands out statistically over the last 15 years is the higher number of HS girls who were offered athletic scholarships in Oregon prior to the election of many clubs to play in US club sanctioned leagues like the OPL and ECNL.

Believe it or not when Oregon had no club teams playing in the OPL or ECNl the athletic aid to girls was much greater and many more recipients and what's so counter-intuitive is the participation numbers for girls soccer have doubled over that same 15 year span in Oregon.

USYS and OYSA as the only vehicle for club competition proved to yield many more college players.

The league choice today for a club can actually hurt the Oregon girl's chances of playing college soccer, if their club chooses to play in the ECNL, strange irony but factually accurate. Unintended consequences of a short sighted knee jerk response to GW destroying the OPL.

Sure the best 5 or 6 girls today will get some partial aid at a D1 level, regardless of what league their club chooses to compete in, but just 15 years ago 20+ girls were all going D1 with aid and with even fewer Colleges funding girls collegiate soccer programs back then.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X