Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    So if he was at Bradenton by age 14, what years did he play DA? Doesn't DA start at U14?
    Turned 15 a few weeks after the program started. Also, the U17 residency program is season to season. Players can enter in fall, and not be asked again in the spring. Some are asked for longer, not sure how many seasons Christian was invited, but he probably played DA when not in Bradenton.

Comment

So if he was at Bradenton by age 14, what years did he play DA? Doesn't DA start at U14?
      He was a 98 playing u15/16 96/97 DA in I think about 2012. The stats are still available on line. 15 goals in 21 games. His dad did make sure every advantage was available to him. But he had to show the money once he was there and he did that in spades.

Yet I agree that many others should have been given similar opportunities and the USA would be better for it if they had or are given these advantages in the future. The problem is that we are very poor at talent identification. If Christian was playing with kids who had put him in a position where he was having to win 50-50s to see the ball as in most youth situations he would have failed. Instead by playing up at higher levels he had kids who could play his feet so that he was in a position to succeed. We need to identify talent and put those kids in situations where they can develop and succeed. There are many clubs/teams where Christian would have been seen as a b player. He wouldn't have won balls sent him bet the top and those teams play over the midfield. Not big enough to play defense. Not big and fast enough to win balls over the top. Midfield? What are they there for but to win balls?

Comment

Turned 15 a few weeks after the program started. Also, the U17 residency program is season to season. Players can enter in fall, and not be asked again in the spring. Some are asked for longer, not sure how many seasons Christian was invited, but he probably played DA when not in Bradenton.
        Looks like he was in the residency program in the Fall 2013 & Spring 2014 seasons as a '98, playing with the rest of the '98 cohort. He turned 15 just after starting the program in Sept. '13.

Comment

Feels like a lot of you are projecting your kids experience on Pulisic. Your kid is short and didn't make it so therefore Pulisic must gotten assistance along the way

Like Donovan before him Pulisic is a rare talent. Both have a rare combination of skill, speed and competitive desire.

Comment

Wrong 80%
            You miss the point.
            That such a talent could easily have been misunderstood and subsequently may be frequently so missed in the US soccer environment. But for his father's understanding of what talent was potentially there AND having the power to place him in situations where he could suceed, his potential might never be realized. There is a parallel story with Emerson Hyndman.

In fact pulisic was not very successful during the u17 World Cup. Did you see any of the games? I am guessing not. Some were questioning his potential even then. It wasn't until he,was, again, put into an environment to succeed at Dortmund, that his potential for greatness was truly revealed.

So you attack me and my kid because the point is apparently beyond me your ability to comprehend. This is an interesting dialogue just stay out of it. Your "contribution" is petty and uninformed.

Comment

I watched a bit of the U17 World Cup and agree Pulisic struggled. That happens when you are playing chess and everyone else is playing full contact checkers.

Watched the same happen to a skilled player on my son's college team. The coach didn't know how to utilize this kid, and eventually played him in a back up role, only subbing him in when others were injured. He'd enter and was immediately the most creative, skilled player on the field.

Comment

Wrong 80%
                You miss the point.
                That such a talent could easily have been misunderstood and subsequently may be frequently so missed in the US soccer environment. But for his father's understanding of what talent was potentially there AND having the power to place him in situations where he could suceed, his potential might never be realized. There is a parallel story with Emerson Hyndman.

In fact pulisic was not very successful during the u17 World Cup. Did you see any of the games? I am guessing not. Some were questioning his potential even then. It wasn't until he,was, again, put into an environment to succeed at Dortmund, that his potential for greatness was truly revealed.

So you attack me and my kid because the point is apparently beyond me your ability to comprehend. This is an interesting dialogue just stay out of it. Your "contribution" is petty and uninformed.
                I think you doth protest too much

Comment

Feels like a lot of you are projecting your kids experience on Pulisic. Your kid is short and didn't make it so therefore Pulisic must gotten assistance along the way

Like Donovan before him Pulisic is a rare talent. Both have a rare combination of skill, speed and competitive desire.
                  It's not that rare. Thousands of footballers have come and gone.
                  It's just rare in the US.

And we don't know why

Comment

I think you are an a** who doesn't know much about soccer and can't really add to the discussion.

Comment

Precisely why his path is not at all typical and shouldn't be held up as a DA success story
                      Dude, bradenberg residency IS DA!

Comment

Dude, bradenberg residency IS DA!
                        Bradenton

Comment

not enough time training

His path should be typical

The DA should be for top 1% of US players.
                          The DA should challenge their players by playing them up
                          The DA should graduate their players to higher leagues
                          The DA should be a path to youth and senior national teams
                          The DA should be a pro league and not a college prep league
                          Quite agree.
                          It seems like the Revs are getting significant flack for attempting to follow this model. In addition, they focus on creativity, speed, explosiveness, and potential, even for those not ready to play up. What's lacking in the DA model here is ample training time which is 4.5 hrs/week at most. 15 and up should be training a min of 8-10 hrs/ week, which is what Pulsic and other top footballers need(ed) to spend.

Comment

I think you are an a** who doesn't know much about soccer and can't really add to the discussion.
                            You angry?

Comment

Me personally I know my kid was a rare talent that could never catch a break. Pulisic had a paved path and he's very lucky. End of story.

Comment

Me personally I know my kid was a rare talent that could never catch a break. Pulisic had a paved path and he's very lucky. End of story.
                                I saw your kid play ... it was a rare lack of talent

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X