Oysa

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is it sad I asked a question. You made a bold accusation without any facts to back it up. Then you followed up by saying people with money buy extra coaching g for mediocre athletes. Yes people that have money can buy more things cars, tutors and coaching. If think that is unfair get real that is life and will always be. However you made an accusation I think is completely wrong. There is not one case of a talented player being turned away. You statement was very predjudice and hurtful. You should be ashamed. You think you are standing for fairness and equality. But you are being predjudice against a race and economic group. You are a hipocrate

Comment

You are narrow minded and obtuse if you believe his comment was about a group.. it's about the US Soccer system as a whole

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        You didn't answer the question. So I will. Neither ECNL club will turn away a talented player based on her inability to pay. And you are distracting from the original point. ECNL is a viable option - not for everyone - not for boys or players who aren't as motivated or talented or live in outlying areas. It's not a perfect option - but it is the ONLY non-OYSA controlled premier soccer option for Oregon. For that reason alone you should be hoping it succeeds. Unless you have a vested interest in OYSA holding a monopoly.
        ^^^what he/she said.

Comment

You are dead wrong. The comment was "ECNL is for white rich kids". That is a racist accusation and you accept it with no evidence.

Comment

You are narrow minded and obtuse if you believe his comment was about a group.. it's about the US Soccer system as a whole
            I call bs. Why didn't the post indicate that? Oh...I'm going to post something about the US Soccer system but am going to catch all the narrow minded people and reference ECNL instead. That will show them how narrow minded they are! Glad you know it's a dude and probably because you are posting to yourself and backing your own post. Or are you narrow minded since maybe it was actually a female poster?! Hippocrite! I'm curious too. What player hasn't had opportunities to play based on race or socio-economic status with any of the options...ECNL, timbers, non-timbers? The post referenced Oregon soccer. If you want to b*+#! about US soccer as a whole, then don't p fart around. Just say it. God.

Comment

Club soccer is expensive whether it be a Timbers OYSA travel team or ECNL. The pay to play system naturally gives a major advantage to those that can afford the most & best training. It's based on wealth not race. However, institutionalized racism in our country has led to more of the wealth being in white pockets. Plenty of poor white girls also miss out on elite soccer too though. Instead of the best possible players US Soccer ends up with the best of the wealthy girls. Just the way it is.

Comment

Club soccer is expensive whether it be a Timbers OYSA travel team or ECNL. The pay to play system naturally gives a major advantage to those that can afford the most & best training. It's based on wealth not race. However, institutionalized racism in our country has led to more of the wealth being in white pockets. Plenty of poor white girls also miss out on elite soccer too though. Instead of the best possible players US Soccer ends up with the best of the wealthy girls. Just the way it is.
                I simply disagree with this. The poor families receive scholarships. Most clubs fundraise for this pool. I've never seen a kid turned away. What club is turning them away?

Comment

I simply disagree with this. The poor families receive scholarships. Most clubs fundraise for this pool. I've never seen a kid turned away. What club is turning them away?
                  Spartans FC can't afford the free riders anymore

Comment

The fact you are asking the question is sad but really common. Start reading up on "pay-to-play" sports ... thousands of articles everywhere and then graduate to ECNL and USMNT. You would be surprised how many filthy rich white people grease the wheel and try and buy coaching and other training advantages beginning at very young ages.. 6,7 years old..for their children of mediocre athletic ability in the universe of US Soccer.
                    So only white people have money? What world do you live in? Gresham?

Comment

The ones that need money and show up are usually granted money.

The problem is many of those that need the grant money simply don't show up at younger ages.

Poor players aren't disenfranchised at 13 or 14 years old, they are disenfranchised st 10 or 11 when competitive soccer starts. Often times, they don't have access or knowledge of the rec programs in their neighborhood because nobody can make money off them.

All the DoCs and clubs talk about how they do it for the kids, but they really do it for the money. Except maybe the Westside DoC. He goes and finds the kids.

Comment

The problem is many of those that need the grant money simply don't show up at younger ages.

Poor players aren't disenfranchised at 13 or 14 years old, they are disenfranchised st 10 or 11 when competitive soccer starts. Often times, they don't have access or knowledge of the rec programs in their neighborhood because nobody can make money off them.

All the DoCs and clubs talk about how they do it for the kids, but they really do it for the money. Except maybe the Westside DoC. He goes and finds the kids.
                        Much of what you say is true--but nobody makes money off of rec. (Except possibly for field owners, but generally the parks and school districts aren't making money either). At least the rec clubs around here, are all-volunteer efforts, and the fee is less than $100 for a half-season.

Now rec clubs may not "market" themselves well--which is probably a given, because they generally have no money for marketing.

(Also keep in mind that there are quite a few non-OYSA rec clubs about, especially in the futsal gyms. By "non-OYSA", I mean that players therein are not registered with OYSA and the clubs/leagues are not sanctioned by OYSA; not simply that they don't participate in OYSA leagues or tournaments. Many Latino players who aren't playing classic are playing organized soccer here. And yes, Westside does do lots of outreach here; don't know about other clubs).

Comment

Sorry, I'm calling BS on your entire premise. You are mixing up two issues - availability to pay for club soccer and commitment/follow through by parents. They are NOT linked. There are plenty of kids who can't afford to pay for club soccer but who want the opportunity and have parents who seek it out to see what it will cost. My DD has been in two clubs and both clubs had very extensive scholarship programs. Neither club ever turned a player away based on inability to pay.

The other issue is commitment/follow through. In my experience there are PLENTY of parents who have enough money to do club soccer, but don't want to do the travel, give up their weekends, commit to getting kid to practice a few nights a week year round, etc...this issue is a reason why kids give up sports but it has nothing to do with money.

Finally, you talk about poor kids not having access to rec soccer. I don't know where you live so I can only speak for my community. We have several rec soccer programs and every one has a scholarship program. Every one bases this program on qualifying for free or reduced lunches at school. And in my kids' school, every rec soccer program handed out vouchers for totally free sports AND coupons for gear at Dicks - these were given to the school secretaries, who of course know which families are most in need and which kids are most interested in sports. Maybe the community you live in doesn't care as much about supporting children playing sports, but I doubt it. My guess is you haven't volunteered in schools much or interacted much with "poor families," so you aren't aware of these programs.

Comment

It's not just having a "Rec" soccer program with vouchers available.. many less affluent kids cannot get transportation to or from practices. There are not many soccer clubs that are practicing right after school in a free after school program. Logistics are a major issue for some families. As the previous poster mentioned the lower income kids that could make it to Rec Soccer are then lost by age 10 or 11 when their wealthier cohorts move up to Developmental/Club Soccer.

Comment

It's not just having a "Rec" soccer program with vouchers available.. many less affluent kids cannot get transportation to or from practices. There are not many soccer clubs that are practicing right after school in a free after school program. Logistics are a major issue for some families. As the previous poster mentioned the lower income kids that could make it to Rec Soccer are then lost by age 10 or 11 when their wealthier cohorts move up to Developmental/Club Soccer.
                              That, and practices are structured (barely) to suit those with 9-5ish jobs. If you work in retail, OTOH--your generally at work when practices and matches are held--as prime retail hours are when then 9-5 crowd AREN'T at work.

Comment

That, and practices are structured (barely) to suit those with 9-5ish jobs. If you work in retail, OTOH--your generally at work when practices and matches are held--as prime retail hours are when then 9-5 crowd AREN'T at work.
                                Everyone has choices to make in life. Make yours and roll with it but don't blame others because they made different choices than you.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X