Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    The real benefit of clubs for college placements is creating opportunities to be seen by college coaches. CFC and FSA can put its best players in front of hundreds of coaches at tournaments featuring high level play. That is invaluable. Even if a player isn't "discovered" at one of these tournaments, they also provide opportunities for coaches to confirm that a player can, in fact, play at that level.
    Really it's the league that puts them in front of coaches. Lay in the league and vendors with bad training you'll be challenged by the level of play

Comment

Not the OP but compare CFCs college list to FSA's. Definitely stronger academic and soccer programs. But CFC has been in the racket longer and has longer term relationships with some programs. I agree that players get themselves noticed and into schools, but a good word from a respected club coach carries weight with college coaches. A bad report can definitely sink a player

But don't worry FSA - you're still a newbie. There's plenty of room to catch up.
      Stop with the list event. Big hint, all the girls know where each other is going to play.

These lists are all about club validation and parental egos. And bluntly, neither CFC or FSA
      are doing much of anything on the soccer landscape. The vast majority of these girls would have gotten into these colleges without soccer. With a vey few exceptions, none are playing for highly ranked college programs.

Further, the obsessive need to do this comparative list forces clubs/parents to fabricate reality.

Tracked a couple of kids "commits" to large schools in major conferences. No mention of any coming to the schools in the listing of incoming recruits.

This is really propaganda at it's worse.

Comment

Will my daughter or son go to college and play?

Will a college coach contact your club coach. Sometimes. This can work both ways however. Some coaches value certain kind of players over others depending on their style of play, their relationship with that player, their value system. These club coaches can turn off a college as well as turn them towards one. They don't want to tarnish their image with a university if a blue chipper comes along. Thats why, while the student needs to play for a club, the coach is the critical piece not the club. The club's name recognition counts for very little when the student steps on the field at the University they are excited about. The players who are playing for Holy Cross could definately have benefited from their relationship with the FSA coach, however that is coach dependent not club dependent. If a smaller club has a excellent coach who is willing to reach out and make some phone calls then the margin of difference between a super club and a small club is much much smaller. If the player is a top tier d1 player it will be no mystery to anyone, they don't need much discovering as long as they have some advocates. The one girl the previous poster mentioned at Academica had a very good coach so she was smart enough not to leave to a super club. If more kids did this they too could have benefited. I can only imagine how many players have hurt their chances at playing for a good college program from jumping from a quality coach for the higher exposure. Someone should study that and see, however would be too difficult to measure underutilized potential opportunity.

Comment

I'm sure the FSA player going to Holy Cross got good reviews by her coach

Comment

Only if she fed the dog and took out the trash.

Comment

Knock it off trolls. Good player, terrific teammate, great kid. Target your trolling toward a more worthy adult target.

Comment

Doesn't hurt that kid went to prep school had good grade and who they are related to

Comment

After seeing the premier system close up for the last 7 yrs, ODP, countless coaches etc..I can tell you that the clubs honestly do very very little to create these college opportunities for kids. The list below is my opinion of what creates the best opportunity for athletes to play at the University of their choice.

1. Good Grades and possibly good ACT/SAT scores
                  2. A great coach who knows how to work with kids and young adults.
                  3. Student who trains hard outside of premier or travel.
                  4. Parents/family member/mentor who works with the student on programs to develop their skill, strength,agility,mental ability outside of premier or travel.
                  5. Parents/family member/mentor/service - help your student get recruited by D1,D2,D3,NAIA,Community College.
                  6. Premier club.

Pick a great coach before a club. The premier parents out there who have been through the system know that the club doesn't make the player, its the coach, parents, mentors and kids discipline in the classroom and training outside of premier. Paying all this money for the super clubs lands you very little in the way of exposure and your son or daughter still has to go to the campus and try out. The club can't help then. If your son or daughter is one of the top five players in the state then they don't need a super club anyway, the tryout will reveal their talent. They do need a club however. Academica has a u18 player who is a region 1 odp talent on her way to UCONN. Very talented. Not a super club. You never hear about these players, because they arent marketed the same way. Save the super cash and find a great coach.
                  Kid from Academica is an excellent player. Zero soccer money and not guaranteed a roster spot at Uconn. Might end up being the most talented intramural player campus. Really poor example.

Kid might have had multiple offers if coming from a decent platform.

Academica has some great coaches but is a total dead end for players at u15 and up.

Comment

Doesn't hurt that kid went to prep school had good grade and who they are related to
                    Doesn't hurt that the kid knows how to play.

Comment

Stop with the list event. Big hint, all the girls know where each other is going to play.

These lists are all about club validation and parental egos. And bluntly, neither CFC or FSA
                      are doing much of anything on the soccer landscape. The vast majority of these girls would have gotten into these colleges without soccer. With a vey few exceptions, none are playing for highly ranked college programs.

Further, the obsessive need to do this comparative list forces clubs/parents to fabricate reality.

Tracked a couple of kids "commits" to large schools in major conferences. No mention of any coming to the schools in the listing of incoming recruits.

This is really propaganda at it's worse.
                      FYI, those kids on the current commit lists are generally 2-3 yrs. from attending the schools and won't be on the recruiting releases by the colleges.
                      PS: My kid is a college senior but I still like to see who is committing where. I find it interesting to see where the kids go regionally vs nationally.

Comment

Why are posters knocking a player for going to Holy Cross??

Comment

Why are posters knocking a player for going to Holy Cross??
                          It's what jealous parents do!

To me, playing soccer at a school like Holy Cross is an Ideal situation. It's a great school from Academic standpoint and plays in the Patriot league which low level d1. If my kid happened to get a discount from their 60k a year tuition even better!!

As you see from the ECNL results, CT isn't lighting the world on fire and we aren't pushing a dozen kids a year to Duke, UNC and UVA. Schools in the Patriot league are all strong academically and can wire together decent packages for the kids they want.

It's really the best of both worlds.

Comment

FYI, those kids on the current commit lists are generally 2-3 yrs. from attending the schools and won't be on the recruiting releases by the colleges.
                            PS: My kid is a college senior but I still like to see who is committing where. I find it interesting to see where the kids go regionally vs nationally.
                            Love to say this was the case. Kids were seniors. Look, again this is not about the players.

The listing event is about the clubs and parents for the most part.

Comment

Decent Platform

Kid from Academica is an excellent player. Zero soccer money and not guaranteed a roster spot at Uconn. Might end up being the most talented intramural player campus. Really poor example.

Kid might have had multiple offers if coming from a decent platform.

Academica has some great coaches but is a total dead end for players at u15 and up.
                              Decent platform. Maybe you should check out UCONN's soccer program. Its pretty good. Even if what you say is true, and this player isn't getting money and is a walk on (which clearly you have no idea about), then why would that be bad. This player could have had a 100 offers already from excellent programs. How would you know? You don't. You want to convince the parents in the state that without the mega dollar business clubs their kid wouldn't stand a chance getting recruited to college. Sounds like a money grab. "Decent platform" means cash to run a company fueled by young adults. What about all the lost talent who burn out and drop out of the super teams because they are run by corporate greed. Look at FSA and CFC's commitments, this kid could have played anywhere the FSA ECNL girls are playing and same is true with CFC. Just so happens UCONN's a cut above and hard to play for, sorry your logic doesn't add up.

Comment

Decent platform. Maybe you should check out UCONN's soccer program. Its pretty good. Even if what you say is true, and this player isn't getting money and is a walk on (which clearly you have no idea about), then why would that be bad. This player could have had a 100 offers already from excellent programs. How would you know? You don't. You want to convince the parents in the state that without the mega dollar business clubs their kid wouldn't stand a chance getting recruited to college. Sounds like a money grab. "Decent platform" means cash to run a company fueled by young adults. What about all the lost talent who burn out and drop out of the super teams because they are run by corporate greed. Look at FSA and CFC's commitments, this kid could have played anywhere the FSA ECNL girls are playing and same is true with CFC. Just so happens UCONN's a cut above and hard to play for, sorry your logic doesn't add up.
                                Sorry to burst your bubble, but this kid's parent has an in in the department. The player will not get any minutes. Don't believe me? Go watch the Needham Tournament and check back at the end of the weekend. This was a bad decision by the family if the kid really wants to play in college. If it is only for the bragging rights? Well played.
                                And yes, I've seen her play quite a few times.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X