Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    US Youth Soccer can fire her for cause if she moonlights with a rival organization.
    What makes you think she's an employee as opposed to a contractor? She gets full emp benefits ?

Comment

What makes you think she's an employee as opposed to a contractor? She gets full emp benefits ?
      When Sue first became involved with my daughters team at SB she told us that she was an employee of US Youth Soccer and if she was seen coaching/running US Club teams that she would lose that job.

I guess she didn't specifically state whether she was being paid with a W2 or through a 1099, but what difference does it make? Either employment method can be terminated.

Comment

Sue Ryan is a US Youth Soccer employee. She can make money on the side but if she became the DOC of a soccer organization that only plays in US Club Soccer she would be fired. Even with the teams she is involved with at Stony Brook she can't even be on the coaches sideline for US Club games, only the US Youth Soccer games.
        I don't see any US Club Soccer logo on the Surf website. The only league I see it EDP.

Unless I looked in the wrong place? I went to the "About" page ....

Comment

I don't see any US Club Soccer logo on the Surf website. The only league I see it EDP.

Unless I looked in the wrong place? I went to the "About" page ....
          EDP is sanctioned under US Club ... and every Surf team plays only in US Club based leagues.

Sue herself said that she can't do it so I'm not sure why you are still arguing this.

Comment

LM claiming Surf is adding another college coach, announcement coming soon....lol

Comment

LM claiming Surf is adding another college coach, announcement coming soon....lol
              Looks like an amateur reserve team. Makes sense to have a college coach since they have the players to put there but how does this help local LI soccer? It doesn't.

All this tells me is Surf is all over the place when it's really a tiny outfit. Susa it multiple times it's size and actually has money to spend, and I am no fan of Susa!

Surf has to be honest with its market and focus on one geography. Pretending to be a giant when they're just a dwarf is wearing thin with parents.

Comment

All LM does is censor any critical posts about Surf. Tons of posts that are hard on other clubs but god forbid anyone questions Surf.

Comment

Looks like an amateur reserve team. Makes sense to have a college coach since they have the players to put there but how does this help local LI soccer? It doesn't.

All this tells me is Surf is all over the place when it's really a tiny outfit. Susa it multiple times it's size and actually has money to spend, and I am no fan of Susa!

Surf has to be honest with its market and focus on one geography. Pretending to be a giant when they're just a dwarf is wearing thin with parents.
                  Over time they could build to a powerhouse, but yes they started with a poorly executed scattershot approach. They're clearly stretched too thin and don't have the name and credibility built up locally to attract more top talent. Had they started in one spot, built that for a few years THEN expanded it would have gone more smoothly. Of course, relying less on LM would have been the biggest help

Comment

Over time they could build to a powerhouse, but yes they started with a poorly executed scattershot approach. They're clearly stretched too thin and don't have the name and credibility built up locally to attract more top talent. Had they started in one spot, built that for a few years THEN expanded it would have gone more smoothly. Of course, relying less on LM would have been the biggest help
                    The NY Surf was intended solely to benefit one Westchester team. But when SUSA moved in and blew up the ISA/KK partnership they saw an opportunity to expand and pick up a few top teams on the cheap and thus the expansion to Long Island. It didn't work out as planned as they only got one decent girls team and one lesser talented boys team for their efforts. But since they committed to Long Island they then pushed for more teams and that's where the Stony Brook affiliation came in. But those are two older teams that are going to age out in a year so that turned out to be a bust for Surf as well.

Their current business plan seems to be to get as many college coaches on the masthead as possible, no matter how little they are actually involved, as a recruiting tool for more players/teams. It may work some but actually building top teams would work better.

Comment

The NY Surf was intended solely to benefit one Westchester team. But when SUSA moved in and blew up the ISA/KK partnership they saw an opportunity to expand and pick up a few top teams on the cheap and thus the expansion to Long Island. It didn't work out as planned as they only got one decent girls team and one lesser talented boys team for their efforts. But since they committed to Long Island they then pushed for more teams and that's where the Stony Brook affiliation came in. But those are two older teams that are going to age out in a year so that turned out to be a bust for Surf as well.

Their current business plan seems to be to get as many college coaches on the masthead as possible, no matter how little they are actually involved, as a recruiting tool for more players/teams. It may work some but actually building top teams would work better.
                      Agreed - doesn't matter who is coaching if the talent isn't there. Those coaches will leave after a year or see if they see it isn't going anywhere

Comment

Agreed - doesn't matter who is coaching if the talent isn't there. Those coaches will leave after a year or see if they see it isn't going anywhere
                        If all their efforts had been in Westchester, they would be a lot better off. They could have had a real shot at ECNL, as there is no ECNL in Westchester. Now by playing around on LI, ECNL may never happen at all for them. Two LI teams with ECNL and SUSA in waiting should one fail. Surf is far behind SUSA.

Also, ECNL doesn't boot teams easily, to their credit. Usually not sending teams to showcases, Unable to field teams or having field issues are the reasons for booting. The two LI teams, like it or not, are pretty solid right now.

Comment

If all their efforts had been in Westchester, they would be a lot better off. They could have had a real shot at ECNL, as there is no ECNL in Westchester. Now by playing around on LI, ECNL may never happen at all for them. Two LI teams with ECNL and SUSA in waiting should one fail. Surf is far behind SUSA.

Also, ECNL doesn't boot teams easily, to their credit. Usually not sending teams to showcases, Unable to field teams or having field issues are the reasons for booting. The two LI teams, like it or not, are pretty solid right now.
                          ECNL with the travel required is simply not an option for many players. Why not have some clubs serving that talent?

Comment

ECNL with the travel required is simply not an option for many players. Why not have some clubs serving that talent?
                            That is a big reason why ECNL won't simply boot clubs based on performance. If that club is willing to travel not just for league games but also for showcases, it is imperative to ECNL's success. Bringing on a new club brings potential problems in this area, especially if that club only competes locally. I do understand though.

Comment

That is a big reason why ECNL won't simply boot clubs based on performance. If that club is willing to travel not just for league games but also for showcases, it is imperative to ECNL's success. Bringing on a new club brings potential problems in this area, especially if that club only competes locally. I do understand though.
                              Enough with Surf on back of the net already. Every thread is Larry pumping up their crap. They have like 4 teams. Boooooring!

Comment

There are so many posts about Surf that I am pretty sure its like 1 or 2 people (probably LM & Surf staff) who just keep answering each others posts anonymously. Every post is how NYSC is a $ grab and Surf coaching is amazing and everyone is going to Surf tryouts. Meanwhile people I have spoken to say the Surf tryouts were not well attended with barely enough kids to field a team at younger ages and less than 2 teams worth of total prospects at older (05 and older)

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X