Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    At what age do you stop talking development and start trying to win. I think college should be about winning.
    Most college coaches and that colleges that pay their salaries would agree

Comment

At what age do you stop talking development and start trying to win. I think college should be about winning.
      I think you are taking life way too seriously.

Comment

I was at the South Florida game. That was about the worst loss I've ever seen. Anyone else who was there knows what I mean. That loss dropped them to 2-5-1. Not sure what their record is now.

Comment

Originally posted by unregistered View Post
          i was at the south florida game. That was about the worst loss i've ever seen. Anyone else who was there knows what i mean. That loss dropped them to 2-5-1. Not sure what their record is now.
          4-5-2

Comment

I think you are taking life way too seriously.
            At the college level it's all about winning. Everything else is a very distant second. Development is a by product to make the player/team better so that they can win.

There is no top tier college D1 program that is not focused on winning. If the coach does not win at a top tier program, they are gone.

Tenure is directly tied to winning. Even the most successful coaches can only afford an occasional dip.

Comment

At the college level it's all about winning. Everything else is a very distant second. Development is a by product to make the player/team better so that they can win.

There is no top tier college D1 program that is not focused on winning. If the coach does not win at a top tier program, they are gone.

Tenure is directly tied to winning. Even the most successful coaches can only afford an occasional dip.
              Solid programs still have an eye on development of the freshmen but it is often weighted strongly to their physical development.

Comment

I was at the South Florida game. That was about the worst loss I've ever seen. Anyone else who was there knows what I mean. That loss dropped them to 2-5-1. Not sure what their record is now.
                They lost 1-0 in the first overtime to USF when the goalie didn't control the ball after a save. D was somewhat haphazard on that play as well so it wasn't all his fault. Prior to that, both teams had periods where they each controlled the game at different points. USF is a decent team. If a 1-0 loss in overtime is the worst loss you've ever seen, doesn't seem like you've watched very much D1 college soccer.

Comment

make that 4-6-2…

and without argument their last loss was the worst loss in UCONN's recent history...

Comment

They lost 1-0 in the first overtime to USF when the goalie didn't control the ball after a save. D was somewhat haphazard on that play as well so it wasn't all his fault. Prior to that, both teams had periods where they each controlled the game at different points. USF is a decent team. If a 1-0 loss in overtime is the worst loss you've ever seen, doesn't seem like you've watched very much D1 college soccer.
                    I played in college....The goalie and defender just looked at each other when the ball was three feet between them as the defender came in and took it and put it in. Deer in headlights. The keeper needs to take charge there.

Comment

I played in college....The goalie and defender just looked at each other when the ball was three feet between them as the defender came in and took it and put it in. Deer in headlights. The keeper needs to take charge there.
                      You played intramurals in college ... If that's the worst loss you have ever seen then you are fortunate.

Comment

Central CT State Men. Didn't even have to leave the state to prove this wrong.

Comment

Central CT State Men. Didn't even have to leave the state to prove this wrong.
                          sad but true. that coach is actually in a tenured position. he literally get's away with breaking school rules and flouting ethical standards for higher education.

college coaching is really subpar. what we have today are numerous coaches who are just too dated with their ideas and refuse to progress with the evolving game. the best coaches today are the young hires, and numerous youth premier coaches who are trying to break in. but for whatever reason don't get their breaks.

Comment

sad but true. that coach is actually in a tenured position. he literally get's away with breaking school rules and flouting ethical standards for higher education.

college coaching is really subpar. what we have today are numerous coaches who are just too dated with their ideas and refuse to progress with the evolving game. the best coaches today are the young hires, and numerous youth premier coaches who are trying to break in. but for whatever reason don't get their breaks.
                            Just curious. In what ways do "new ideas" about coaching soccer differ from "old ideas"? Are we talking about formations? Physical training methods? Something else?

Comment

Just curious. In what ways do "new ideas" about coaching soccer differ from "old ideas"? Are we talking about formations? Physical training methods? Something else?
                              all that you've mentioned, but mainly training methods and recovery methods. some coaches still mandate lifts within 48 hours of games. some coaches still don't understand training "progression". they bounce all over the place in 1 just one session and then are talking about completely different things by the end of the week before the next game.

Comment

all that you've mentioned, but mainly training methods and recovery methods. some coaches still mandate lifts within 48 hours of games. some coaches still don't understand training "progression". they bounce all over the place in 1 just one session and then are talking about completely different things by the end of the week before the next game.
                                That's why you have a lesson plan. Duh.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X