Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

US Soccer Girls Development Academy or ECNL? (The non ECNL view)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    The key phrase in your entire post is "up to the limit of demonstrated need." That's where the nothing more concept applies. The question is only this" can these schools award FA BEYOND the limit of demonstrated need? "Cash poor" is not an answer if the assets are there. Having 5 million in stocks counts just the same as 5 million in cash, and the same for other assets as well.
    If you feel better having "clarified" instead of backpedalled, cool. You needn't straw man the cash poor point, which was simply that people who appear UMC might be significantly less wealthy than it seems. ("5 million in stocks" would certainly count as wealthy, never mind that stocks tend to be readily convertible to cash.) Evidently, clarity for you has been achieved.

Comment

Clearly you don't have teenage girls, or at a minimum cannot fathom what matters to them.
      Wrong and wrong. They cannot possible see from the vantage point of their short lives that what seems like a major issue to them is small potatoes relative to what many have on their plates.

I offer the guidance I see fit as I am sure you do. Their teams blew of last year with the age change and will blow up again this year with the DA. Both events are entirely out of their control. I don't advise them to waste too much energy on complaining about events out of their control. They should use their energy to understand the landscape, consider the options , and find a soccer home and play. Good problems to have in the big picture.

We are clearly offering different guidance to our players but discussing those differences is the point of discussion forums.

Comment

Wrong and wrong. They cannot possible see from the vantage point of their short lives that what seems like a major issue to them is small potatoes relative to what many have on their plates.

I offer the guidance I see fit as I am sure you do. Their teams blew of last year with the age change and will blow up again this year with the DA. Both events are entirely out of their control. I don't advise them to waste too much energy on complaining about events out of their control. They should use their energy to understand the landscape, consider the options , and find a soccer home and play. Good problems to have in the big picture.

We are clearly offering different guidance to our players but discussing those differences is the point of discussion forums.
        So now you have a daughter? Will the fiction never end?

Comment

So now you have a daughter? Will the fiction never end?
          ?????. I have two daughters.

Comment

If you feel better having "clarified" instead of backpedalled, cool. You needn't straw man the cash poor point, which was simply that people who appear UMC might be significantly less wealthy than it seems. ("5 million in stocks" would certainly count as wealthy, never mind that stocks tend to be readily convertible to cash.) Evidently, clarity for you has been achieved.
            Yes, I feel much better knowing that all along we were only talking about "demonstrated need" which is exactly the purpose of FA. If you are beyond that, and don't "deserve" any FA, you don't get a dime, regardless of the Einstein and "fill in the blank" rhetoric.

Comment

?????. I have two daughters.
              No worries. That was just the king of fictions trying to insinuate that you are someone else, with the further insinuation that others engage in fiction posting as he does.

If you are fairly new here's a window into some of his handiwork....from 2010 I believe...and just think about this now being 2017 and he's still going strong. When you read the post below just imagine the type of hate that would be required to author such a devious and detailed narrative of outright lies and slander.

Originally posted by SuzieSkywalker View Post
              Since we left the club a number of parents have asked me why we didn't leave earlier. Truthfully I have asked myself that same question many times. After pondering it for a while I think it basically comes down to how they build the culture in the club. You end up feeling like there really is no other option. This feeling also explains a lot of the pro Stars rhetoric you read here. People literally are scared to death that they would end up with another club. There is that much paranoia built into the culture.*

When you get right down to it, the way the Stars are run is not all that dissimilar to what you read about in cults. They work real hard at isolating the families from the influences of other coaches and clubs. Their posture on ODP is a perfect example. They instill a Stars against the world mindset and there is always a villain that is conspiring to hurt the club for the families to rally against. When we first started with the club, the villain was MPS. All you ever heard from the coaches was how much a joke MPS was and when they criticized players one of the worst insults they would throw at them was the snide remark about going to play for MPS. When players did leave for another club their name was constantly brought up in practice and ridiculed. You ended up feeling all of the other clubs were not even close to the Stars and that if you left them you were basically giving up on soccer.*

When I look back now I am actually rather disgusted with myself and husband for how long we stayed with the club. We were both athletes and knew that what we were seeing wasn't having a healthy impact on our daughter. She withdrew into shell and lost all confidence as a player. We also saw an impact socially and in school but had convinced ourselves that it was the price that she needed to pay to be a soccer player. We even used to have discussions with her about being tougher and rising to the challenge. All that did was take the joy out playing a game and turned it into a job. The sad thing is all of us were so afraid that if we left the Stars everything she had put up with would be wasted and her soccer career would be over. We quite literally had family fights over it. In the end my daughter simply wore out. She left the club a shadow of her former self and I distinctly remember feeling shame at leaving. I am quite embarrassed to now admit that. I will tell you that there is life other than the Stars. It took time and a completely different coaching style but soccer became fun again and my daughter has actually thrived beyond our expectations.*

Comment

Hope your kid doesn't hate you years from now for all the "guidance"

Comment

Yes, I feel much better knowing that all along we were only talking about "demonstrated need" which is exactly the purpose of FA. If you are beyond that, and don't "deserve" any FA, you don't get a dime, regardless of the Einstein and "fill in the blank" rhetoric.
                  Apparently you don't get that qualifying for the FA just puts you in line. The schools then get to figure out the order in which that need gets met. Soccer can and does impact a families position in that line.

Comment

Must really suck for that other guy to always have to pay retail because his kids aren't special. Definitely explains the anger.

Comment

No worries. That was just the king of fictions trying to insinuate that you are someone else, with the further insinuation that others engage in fiction posting as he does.

If you are fairly new here's a window into some of his handiwork....from 2010 I believe...and just think about this now being 2017 and he's still going strong. When you read the post below just imagine the type of hate that would be required to author such a devious and detailed narrative of outright lies and slander.
                      That parent's kid now plays for a top D1 program in the region so it's not nearly the fiction it was claimed to be. Actually described life in the Stars pretty accurately.

Comment

As opposed to how yours must feel having to pick you for a weekend pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                          That parent's kid now plays for a top D1 program in the region so it's not nearly the fiction it was claimed to be. Actually described life in the Stars pretty accurately.
                          And here we go again. All the propaganda gets so boring. How many times can people say if you don't like a club don't go there. There are plenty of satisfied families at the top clubs.

Comment

If that is poor guidance, offer better. Snark is useless to yourself or anyone else. What use is it for these girls to fret about youth soccer leagues. It is a waste of their time IMO.

Comment

Apparently you don't get that qualifying for the FA just puts you in line. The schools then get to figure out the order in which that need gets met. Soccer can and does impact a families position in that line.
                              No, believe me, I get that I might have need that doesn't get met while the school meets yours but that's a different issue. You still have to have real demonstrated need, so no different that I ever thought it was.

Comment

Must really suck for that other guy to always have to pay retail because his kids aren't special. Definitely explains the anger.
                                Must suck to be the son of a Hall of Fame father, with major trust funds for the children, and be married to a physician, and then have to come on TS and admit you NEEDED financial aid. Funny thing is that you see that as some kind of special badge you need to broadcast whereas the rest of us would keep such details quiet.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X