Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Uuuum, top European, South American, and African players are identified way before 17.
    In the U.S. the best players are identified by age 6. Just ask any parent.

Comment

We pick size, hip strength, and bootability, over technical players. Our program will always be less.
      Being able to confidently pass the ball backwards and sideways on the defensive half does not mean the OW kids are more technical. Do that stuff on the front half and I will believe you.

Comment

Probably because many talented players are cut out of the expensive pay to play system. Other sports have affordable options out there, and HS is still a place where football and basketball players can be noticed. On occasional club scholarship here and there doesn't the kids who cant afford club soccer over a multi-year period. They "systems" in place only go down to U12 and it won't be easy for a kid who hasn't been playing at a high level to get noticed and pulled into the system. Even then the system is still largely pay to play and travel/distance to practices still keep many kids out of the system.

Oh yeah...no soccer culture isn't helping us either.
        Ah, the white unicorn theory at work.
        Listen, mate, there are no hidden pockets of talent. Nobody is cut from the Club scene due to finances who is any good. Talent gets found, period.
        Except maybe in Appalachia...

Comment

Ah, the white unicorn theory at work.
          Listen, mate, there are no hidden pockets of talent. Nobody is cut from the Club scene due to finances who is any good. Talent gets found, period.
          Except maybe in Appalachia...
          Not the OP but you miss the point. What is in place, at younger and younger ages discourages many families from participating. Children who may have talent, but haven't developed at the rate of others, are left out of the early dog eat dog world created by the pay to play system.

Comment

Not the OP but you miss the point. What is in place, at younger and younger ages discourages many families from participating. Children who may have talent, but haven't developed at the rate of others, are left out of the early dog eat dog world created by the pay to play system.
            I am the OP that poster was responding to. You are correct. Many lower income families don't think they can ever afford it so don't even try, and they don't ask for assistance out of fear of rejection or pride. One of my kids played a pretty diverse club for a few years that did everything it could could help families that were struggling. Some of those players were able to move up the ranks to bigger and better things. But that was one club out of I think 4 or 5 we've been at (with 3 players). At all the rest it's who can afford it and nice cars in the parking lots, including the club owners.

Comment

I am the OP that poster was responding to. You are correct. Many lower income families don't think they can ever afford it so don't even try, and they don't ask for assistance out of fear of rejection or pride. One of my kids played a pretty diverse club for a few years that did everything it could could help families that were struggling. Some of those players were able to move up the ranks to bigger and better things. But that was one club out of I think 4 or 5 we've been at (with 3 players). At all the rest it's who can afford it and nice cars in the parking lots, including the club owners.
              Yes, what we have now is a series of soccer circles. They always existed, but there were less of them. As the circles have increased, they have more distance between them. Many are captive within their circles and seldom venture out to see what exist in other circles. Only after having experienced these other circles, observing, participating and learning , can there be a a valid opinion formed. Those that say otherwise are either ignorant, misinformed, or both.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              x
              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
              x
              Working...
              X