Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many players left solid 2nd teams for so called ‘Elite’ Teams?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    These “little engine” stories are uplifting and exactly the message we should be delivering to our children. With a few occaissional outliers noted, they are indeed outliers. Reality of what I have seen with 2 daughters through the process is that it is far more common to see girls fall off than rise up.
    Boys do as well - it isn't a uniquely female phenomenon. The funnel to the top gets exponentially smaller, so from a pure numbers standpoint very few go from U11 "stud" to top college player or even higher. Most will have been in the funnel all along, but not all.

Comment

Boys do as well - it isn't a uniquely female phenomenon. The funnel to the top gets exponentially smaller, so from a pure numbers standpoint very few go from U11 "stud" to top college player or even higher. Most will have been in the funnel all along, but not all.
      Difference for boys is that a) puberty helps and b) it comes later
      Late bloomers are possible with height and man shoulders.

Comment

These “little engine” stories are uplifting and exactly the message we should be delivering to our children. With a few occaissional outliers noted, they are indeed outliers. Reality of what I have seen with 2 daughters through the process is that it is far more common to see girls fall off than rise up.
        And they do. Here is an example , last year's NEFC graduating class. At u11 & 12 their top team, the Pride, won the Maple state cups - the Andre and Irwin. 21 players in two years, only 4 went onto D1 (one of which got cut after 11), 2 or 3 play D3, 2 play other sports in college and the rest simply faded away. Yes, a consolidation of teams occurred at 13 when the stakes were raised, but the point remains the same.

Comment

And they do. Here is an example , last year's NEFC graduating class. At u11 & 12 their top team, the Pride, won the Maple state cups - the Andre and Irwin. 21 players in two years, only 4 went onto D1 (one of which got cut after 11), 2 or 3 play D3, 2 play other sports in college and the rest simply faded away. Yes, a consolidation of teams occurred at 13 when the stakes were raised, but the point remains the same.
          In its time maple and these tourneys were such a great test and fun. My player’s a year behind this group you mention and the ‘formula’ to get to the college game changed as the center of player mass moved from usys to uscs. Along the line of so-called 1st and 2nd teams though - and I’ll speak to Stars and Nefc on this - 2nd teams are an often unhealthy place in terms of development given that parents push to get kids off the 2nd and onto the 1st team and it’s really downhill once a few of those enter the picture.

I’ll also add that - in following those families/players through HS - the pushy/undermining families kids do not end up as successful recruits. Fact. The jumping ship to ‘so called 1st teams’ does not make a B player an A - it may elevate recruiting but not eventual success - follow the players to college and you will see.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          x
          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
          x
          Working...
          X