X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quality banter .

A: What was the main reason?

JASON DEWHURST: The first one, for sure, was the substitution rule, specifically at U-14, U-15.

We have the mindset that that is actually against player development. I know that the DA thinks it’s about player development and players managing minutes and coaches managing players, and I 100 percent understand that.

But if you’re playing in a one-game weekend, which a lot of the time it is, some kids see 15-20 minutes of action, and that’s the only game time that they get in a week. For me that’s just not player development. Kids need to play.

The training environment is very, very important and we have a great training environment. But at the end of the day, these kids also need to play to develop.

For us, that was a huge point of contention for our families and the players, too.

So why not 40mins min ? asking for a friend

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Quality banter .

A: What was the main reason?

JASON DEWHURST: The first one, for sure, was the substitution rule, specifically at U-14, U-15.

We have the mindset that that is actually against player development. I know that the DA thinks it’s about player development and players managing minutes and coaches managing players, and I 100 percent understand that.

But if you’re playing in a one-game weekend, which a lot of the time it is, some kids see 15-20 minutes of action, and that’s the only game time that they get in a week. For me that’s just not player development. Kids need to play.

The training environment is very, very important and we have a great training environment. But at the end of the day, these kids also need to play to develop.

For us, that was a huge point of contention for our families and the players, too.

So why not 40mins min ? asking for a friend
      In all the years we were in ECNL, I can honestly say everyone, including gthe subs, played at least 40 mins most games. The exception would be big games against the best teams, that might get cut to 30. I watched a BBA showcase game last year where several players didn't get in, or played less than 10 mins,while already committed players played the whole game. With the ECNL subbing rules, that is inexcusable. I heard that was a common occurrence which is why I was looking for it.

Comment

In all the years we were in ECNL, I can honestly say everyone, including gthe subs, played at least 40 mins most games. The exception would be big games against the best teams, that might get cut to 30. I watched a BBA showcase game last year where several players didn't get in, or played less than 10 mins,while already committed players played the whole game. With the ECNL subbing rules, that is inexcusable. I heard that was a common occurrence which is why I was looking for it.
        Sounds like JD had an issue sticking to that in the GDA for some reason . Lol. What is a "big game" in youth soccer? the only people that may benefit are coaches polishing resumes and perhaps parents egos. Most of youth soccer management is focused on the today not the tomorrow

Comment

Sounds like JD had an issue sticking to that in the GDA for some reason . Lol. What is a "big game" in youth soccer? the only people that may benefit are coaches polishing resumes and perhaps parents egos. Most of youth soccer management is focused on the today not the tomorrow
          Unfortunately with a playoff structure, sometimes the points really matter and a win is needed/wanted. The standings are part of the problem, but no one would accept a league that didn't have winners and losers.

Comment

JD doesn't coach the DA. I would say a big game is one where the outcome isn't assured and there is something at stake that the players value.

Comment

JD doesn't coach the DA.
              Beautiful.

Comment

JD doesn't coach the DA. I would say a big game is one where the outcome isn't assured and there is something at stake that the players value.
                are you being serious? Do you see the girls on the phones 3 mins after the post game sit down with the coach? a tiny fraction care about the results for more than a fleeting second. about the same percentage who could tell you where they "rank" at any given point in time.

its parents who create this "big game" BS .

Comment

Unfortunately with a playoff structure, sometimes the points really matter and a win is needed/wanted. The standings are part of the problem, but no one would accept a league that didn't have winners and losers.
                  the points really matter so you can do more travelling. Lol. so many have been brainwashed into believing this stuff has to be like this.

Comment

the points really matter so you can do more travelling. Lol. so many have been brainwashed into believing this stuff has to be like this.
                    Good point. Does the winner really "win" if the prize is traveling to some far off play off?

Comment

Lets assume you are right, you think the girls who barely play feel ownership of the results? you think they really look forward to the soccer part of travelling to pay more "big" play off games? or you think they enjoy the teams dinners and social side of it. something they could enjoy by having a sleepover at home with all their friends, and not just the ones who play soccer?

Comment

Lets assume you are right, you think the girls who barely play feel ownership of the results? you think they really look forward to the soccer part of travelling to pay more "big" play off games? or you think they enjoy the teams dinners and social side of it. something they could enjoy by having a sleepover at home with all their friends, and not just the ones who play soccer?
                        Only if they were on the field when the other team scores. Could mean the difference between a draw and a loss.

Comment

Absolutely not. I don't think kid feels good about a win they didn't say much in. Any parent that keeps their kid on a team with a coach like that is literally abusing them. What I said is that for all the things JD gets beat up for, everyone plays a good amount of minutes every game. As hard as he is on them, and he is, they still wouldn't want to play for anyone else. What would a girl that really cared about the results look like after the game? Anyone picking up their phone after a game is disqualified from being someone that cares? I understand how that looks, but I wouldn't judge them on that. My D texts me about the game right after. I hear about the good things and bad things, she cares alot, but to you she just looks like a kid on her phone.

Comment

Everyone can do as they please, but dont say your the best talent around just because your ecnl, I think it's hilarious that you actually believe it.And yes kids do sit the bench when a big game comes up and yes kids sometimes only get 18 -20 of game time been there and done itfor 3years.Tell it to fools who don't know better.

Comment

Absolutely not. I don't think kid feels good about a win they didn't say much in. Any parent that keeps their kid on a team with a coach like that is literally abusing them. What I said is that for all the things JD gets beat up for, everyone plays a good amount of minutes every game. As hard as he is on them, and he is, they still wouldn't want to play for anyone else. What would a girl that really cared about the results look like after the game? Anyone picking up their phone after a game is disqualified from being someone that cares? I understand how that looks, but I wouldn't judge them on that. My D texts me about the game right after. I hear about the good things and bad things, she cares alot, but to you she just looks like a kid on her phone.
                              your D may well care. i dont think many do. thats my opinion. i think many would rather not travel miles to play "big" games. i think many enjoy the being with friends part far more than the grind of getting better and playing.

I think the games play a much bigger part in invested parents lives than many of the kids.

a girl who really cared about results would be someone who in practice worked her tail off to be better. you are taking the phone comment far too literally but there are plenty of kids snapchattinig about BS right after games.

Comment

Everyone can do as they please, but dont say your the best talent around just because your ecnl, I think it's hilarious that you actually believe it.And yes kids do sit the bench when a big game comes up and yes kids sometimes only get 18 -20 of game time been there and done itfor 3years.Tell it to fools who don't know better.
                                Agree with this. im amazed that then man himself said he puts players in for limited minutes and yet its still being debated.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X