Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should NCAA women’s scholarship allotments per sport be changed?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    You're kid sounds like she has a lot of fun.
    OP here and yes, my kid has a ton of fun. She's constantly with her friends and the people she has most in common with. This is what she enjoys doing...I've suggested at times, maybe she take a season off from track or something and her response is always-"and do what? Come home from school at 2:30, do my homework and then just fart around until soccer? I'd be so bored..."
    Sorry my kid isn't interested in snap chatting for 5 hours straight...

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Default The crux of the matter
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
      The SEC Commissioner Sankey has realized there is a systemic problem of inequity and wants to talk about revamping the system of athletic scholarships, which as he said was developed eons ago and no one even remembers who or why. At least someone with power realizes there is a problem and wants to address it.
      “And in another area, that of equivalency scholarships,” Sankey said, “our athletics directors and senior women administrators, in a rule that affects baseball, softball, track and field and any number of sports, started a deep exploration as to the whys and the history and what new options may be available for us in the future in providing scholarships to student-athletes. We expect to provide information and a perspective to the NCAA during the next academic year.”

“It wouldn’t be limited to just one set of equivalency sports,” Sankey said. “I think there’s a need to look deeply on the equivalency side, which is any number of sports. And what our athletics directors said, really in response to gymnastics’ proposal to increase (its) scholarship limit, ‘Let’s stop and let’s look at the scholarship model that exists and see if there might be some better options.’

From a PAC 12 person:
      “A lot of these scholarship limits were arbitrary to begin with, they haven’t been revisited for years and I’m a proponent of sitting down and re-looking at all of this for the student-athlete’s best interest," Barnes told The Oregonian/OregonLive. "I think we should. It’s one of those rules that’s been in place forever, a lot of folks don’t even remember how we got to where we were. Baseball is a prime example, there are limited numbers. Let’s open it up and let’s look at it and see what it looks like. Let’s do it with the student-athlete welfare piece in mind.

“I’m an advocate of – and that doesn’t mean It has to be headcount – but I’m an advocate of sitting down and revisiting scholarship limits because we haven’t done it in forever and things have changed and I think we have to give that some attention. Whether it’s headcount or more equivalencies, I don’t have that answer but I think revisiting this topic is really important.”
      High time for a review and update!
      I does make sense to review the logic behind equivalency vs. headcount, and max limits.
      While I am sure there were good reasons at the time, I don't know anyone that can explain the source of why some sports are hc and others are eq, nor the rationale behind max limit allotments. Consistency and transparency make sense

To be clear this has nothing to do with Need. These are Athletic Scholarships wholly funded by the institution. Institutional policies should prevail

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x
      Working...
      X