Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Player "poaching" on LI

My kid is pretty new to travel on LI in Suffolk (and me too obviously). Things are going fine for us at U10, but I discovered this blog and i am completely fascinated by kids moving clubs and clubs "poaching" players seems to occupy almost every thread.
    I'm really interested in how it happens and how pervasive it really is. How many clubs out there scouting for other clubs' good players and then offering them to join their teams? Or is it that players/families are just not happy with some aspect of their team that they look for other options (some people aren't ever happy with anything...).I haven't seen any evidence of that at our club, but then maybe U10 is too early for it to start.
    If you have some insight or experience with this, I'm very curious to hear about it. It'd be nice not to bring up club names, since that seems to push the discussion off track, but I guess sometimes it makes it easier to explain.

Clubs don't really "poach". People leave because they're either unhappy or they they think the next club will give them something they're looking for - better coaching, more PT different league etc. Good clubs don't need to scout; players come to them looking for spots. If a club approaches you, chances are they're just trying to fill a roster. Buyer beware.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Clubs don't really "poach". People leave because they're either unhappy or they they think the next club will give them something they're looking for - better coaching, more PT different league etc. Good clubs don't need to scout; players come to them looking for spots. If a club approaches you, chances are they're just trying to fill a roster. Buyer beware.
      If your kid can walk and breathe they will be offered a spot at Susa and told they will be the next big thing. That’s all you need to know.

Comment

Yes be very wary of SUSA over promise under deliver

Comment

Clubs really do poach. I've seen an opposing coach approach a player walking off the field after a game MANY times.

Comment

SUSA absolutely poached, my kids and their teammates have been approached several times. And told they won't have to pay tuition either.

Comment

Will not name the club but poaching with special deals (severely discounted cost; agreed playing time and role etc) was in place, so it all depends how desperate the club is. Remember folks this a business, these places will do anything to stay in business and survive. That is and will always be priority #1. Feel bad for the people that pay full price without negotiation.

Comment

Will not name the club but poaching with special deals (severely discounted cost; agreed playing time and role etc) was in place, so it all depends how desperate the club is. Remember folks this a business, these places will do anything to stay in business and survive. That is and will always be priority #1. Feel bad for the people that pay full price without negotiation.
                We can all name the club for you, SUSA. It's not a secret that this is what they do.

Comment

Albertson use to be the worst, but no one believes any of their crap any longer, and certainly no one wants to play for them except kids that have been there

Comment

Remember, the grass is always greener on the other side -- but that's because they use more manure.

Comment

Why don't you stop being a free loader and pay for your own kid's soccer lessons and then maybe you wont feel bad anymore?

Comment

This statement is unfortunately accurate based on our mileage. Heard story after story about promises made about playing time to families to bring their kids over from opposing academies.

No coach should be promising playing time to any kid. Playing time is earned and should be based on talent/effort, work rate at training sessions and during matches. Kids desire to give that each week changes and those sort of promises are a death blow to the moral on the team. When parents share what they were promised I want to pick up the phone and tell these short sided people that they are corrupt and zero of this is about the kids. The phone call is a waste because they are well aware of their shortcomings.

Comment

This statement is unfortunately accurate based on our mileage. Heard story after story about promises made about playing time to families to bring their kids over from opposing academies.

No coach should be promising playing time to any kid. Playing time is earned and should be based on talent/effort, work rate at training sessions and during matches. Kids desire to give that each week changes and those sort of promises are a death blow to the moral on the team. When parents share what they were promised I want to pick up the phone and tell these short sided people that they are corrupt and zero of this is about the kids. The phone call is a waste because they are well aware of their shortcomings.
                          It's not just playing time...take a look at some of the highest decorated players. A lot of them are just slightly above average, follow the trail back to how many kids their families convinced to come over
                          Yes Susa I'm talking about you!

Comment

My kid hasn't been approached by an opposing coach after any games. I guess I'll just have to have that talk with him to give up soccer, because he obviously isn't any good.

Comment

It's not just playing time...take a look at some of the highest decorated players. A lot of them are just slightly above average, follow the trail back to how many kids their families convinced to come over
                              Yes Susa I'm talking about you!
                              Susa’s reputation for doing questionable things is less than flattering. Sure hope their training is great because their indoor fields are terrible. Can’t see why people flock there? I guess there is no better alternatives?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X