Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorting through area Premier teams for U12-U19

anyone have a sense of local area premier clubs and relative reputation, caliber, strength? Maybe rank A, B, C? Hard to sort out

Westchester Flames
    Shoreline
    NYSC Premier
    FCW Premier
    Transylvania
    White Plains Academy
    Everton Ct
    Eastern
    NY Premier FC

any I may be missing?

Thanks

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    anyone have a sense of local area premier clubs and relative reputation, caliber, strength? Maybe rank A, B, C? Hard to sort out

Westchester Flames
    Shoreline
    NYSC Premier
    FCW Premier
    Transylvania
    White Plains Academy
    Everton Ct
    Eastern
    NY Premier FC

any I may be missing?

Thanks
    Maybe just another few hundred or so, but that is all .... cripes, how many teams are on LI alone?

Comment

Maybe just another few hundred or so, but that is all .... cripes, how many teams are on LI alone?
      eleventy hundred and 79 i think.

Comment

you'll need to do the leg work on your own.

you can start here:

https://www.boysecnl.com/northeast-conference/

and look here:

https://www.usyouthsoccer.org/north-...dp-conference/

the clubs/teams that play ECNL and EDP Regional should have the best competition

and finally look here:

https://www.nyclubsoccerleague.com/h...edule-list.asp

there are good clubs that play NPL as well.

Comment

you'll need to do the leg work on your own.

you can start here:

https://www.boysecnl.com/northeast-conference/

and look here:

https://www.usyouthsoccer.org/north-...dp-conference/

the clubs/teams that play ECNL and EDP Regional should have the best competition

and finally look here:

https://www.nyclubsoccerleague.com/h...edule-list.asp

there are good clubs that play NPL as well.
          My son plays EDP USYS and the competition level and travel isn't that bad. Highly recommend

Comment

eleventy hundred and 79 i think.
            Original Poster here- I wasn't asking for Long Island, Connecticut or broad ecnl region or north jersey. This list is purely lower Westchester and very near Greenwich - 20 mile radius. I think its a pretty short list of 8-10 premier clubs in that area playing in top leagues right below DA (NPl, EDP, ECNL? - don't actually think any ecnl within range) - definitely not hundreds. Now some help ranking them would be helpful.

Comment

DA club premier teams are a waste of money. In that area I’d look at Eastern over WP or Transylvania.

Comment

Original Poster here- I wasn't asking for Long Island, Connecticut or broad ecnl region or north jersey. This list is purely lower Westchester and very near Greenwich - 20 mile radius. I think its a pretty short list of 8-10 premier clubs in that area playing in top leagues right below DA (NPl, EDP, ECNL? - don't actually think any ecnl within range) - definitely not hundreds. Now some help ranking them would be helpful.
                Stop looking for"rankings" as

1) they're useless

2) it's TS so everyone has an agenda

3) what matters is what is the best fit for your player. Sitting on the bench at a so called top club doesn't do anyone any good. Start making phone calls and ask to come to a practice or two, see how your kid fits, watch how the coach works and talk to parents. Don't wait for tryout time later in the spring. Do this now. Once games start back up try and go watch some, again watching the level of play and the coach.

Comment

Westchester Flames
                  Shoreline
                  NYSC Premier
                  FCW Premier
                  Transylvania
                  White Plains Academy
                  Everton Ct
                  Eastern
                  NY Premier FC

any I may be missing?

Thanks
                  It's impossible to rank the clubs as a whole and a little bit pointless because of the large variation from year to year and coach to coach.

Just a few random, largely subjective observations (my son does not play for any of these clubs, but has played against most of them and knows many boys on most of them as well) in no particular order:

NY Premier FC: newest club and does not have a full offering of age groups. I have heard only good things about the DOC, who has jumped around a bit because of failed startups -- starting a new club in this area is very difficult. But one of the few guys in that role that I have never heard complaints about.

Eastern: Very expensive and from what I've heard very disorganized. Were a top club a decade ago, but time has passed them by. Team performance has been very poor of late.

White Plains Academy: Less expensive than the others and it shows. Limited field ability means sometimes up to 4 teams practice on a single field. Early Spring and late Fall practices frequently in the dark on field lit by 1 or 2 portable light stands. DOC involves himself in individual team lineup decisions and plays favorites based on factors other than soccer ability. It's very easy to literally see which kids get favored and which kids do not.

Transylvania: Teams always seem to be very well trained.

FCW Premier & NYSC Premier: I would not allow my son to play on a Premier team of a DA Academy. Those teams are afterthoughts and moneymakers. Promise of promotion to DA team is a lie. It just doesn't happen. Have your son play at the highest level club at which he will get playing time at the club's highest level team. No B teams.

Flames: One of the better non-DA options, but have trended towards bigger and bigger rosters of late to make more $$$ at the expense of playing time for those on the bottom half of the roster. Do you want your son to play for a team that doesn't dress every kid on the roster for every game? I don't.

Don't get fooled by the alphabet soup. There are crap teams in the NPL & ECNL and EDP has expanded so much that they have more divisions that are at local travel level than are at elite club level. Everything has been so diluted that knowing which league or division a team plays in is nearly meaningless.

Thanks for reading!

Comment

Everton isn't Everton any longer. It's Inter CT. Taken over by two great coaches, good club for the younger ages, but the club has had highs and lows.

As another said so much depends on the age and what level you're looking for. Don't go somewhere just because a club is "great" (whatever that measurement is). It should be great for your player.

Comment

It's impossible to rank the clubs as a whole and a little bit pointless because of the large variation from year to year and coach to coach.

Just a few random, largely subjective observations (my son does not play for any of these clubs, but has played against most of them and knows many boys on most of them as well) in no particular order:

NY Premier FC: newest club and does not have a full offering of age groups. I have heard only good things about the DOC, who has jumped around a bit because of failed startups -- starting a new club in this area is very difficult. But one of the few guys in that role that I have never heard complaints about.

Eastern: Very expensive and from what I've heard very disorganized. Were a top club a decade ago, but time has passed them by. Team performance has been very poor of late.

White Plains Academy: Less expensive than the others and it shows. Limited field ability means sometimes up to 4 teams practice on a single field. Early Spring and late Fall practices frequently in the dark on field lit by 1 or 2 portable light stands. DOC involves himself in individual team lineup decisions and plays favorites based on factors other than soccer ability. It's very easy to literally see which kids get favored and which kids do not.

Transylvania: Teams always seem to be very well trained.

FCW Premier & NYSC Premier: I would not allow my son to play on a Premier team of a DA Academy. Those teams are afterthoughts and moneymakers. Promise of promotion to DA team is a lie. It just doesn't happen. Have your son play at the highest level club at which he will get playing time at the club's highest level team. No B teams.

Flames: One of the better non-DA options, but have trended towards bigger and bigger rosters of late to make more $$$ at the expense of playing time for those on the bottom half of the roster. Do you want your son to play for a team that doesn't dress every kid on the roster for every game? I don't.

Don't get fooled by the alphabet soup. There are crap teams in the NPL & ECNL and EDP has expanded so much that they have more divisions that are at local travel level than are at elite club level. Everything has been so diluted that knowing which league or division a team plays in is nearly meaningless.

Thanks for reading!
                      Strongly agree about B or C teams of any club as afterthoughts, so try to avoid. Also agree about many crap teams in the supposed better leagues like ecnl and npl, however take a little offense to the EDP reference here. It is the only league around that does promotion and relegation and their top brackets are pretty good. Teams have to earn their spots year after year, clubs can't just buy their way in like those other leagues (GDA included). Don't listen to anyone. Start emailing coaches and have your kid go to at least 2 workouts for each club you are interested in and make up your own mind.

Comment

Strongly agree about B or C teams of any club as afterthoughts, so try to avoid. Also agree about many crap teams in the supposed better leagues like ecnl and npl, however take a little offense to the EDP reference here. It is the only league around that does promotion and relegation and their top brackets are pretty good. Teams have to earn their spots year after year, clubs can't just buy their way in like those other leagues (GDA included). Don't listen to anyone. Start emailing coaches and have your kid go to at least 2 workouts for each club you are interested in and make up your own mind.
                        Didn't mean to disparage EDP -- I'm just an old-timer that remembers when EDP was much smaller and almost entirely made up of high-quality teams. Being an "EDP Team" meant something. They've intentionally and smartly changed their business model to run many more leagues as an alternative to local travel leagues. They are by far the best administrators of leagues and tournaments.

So there are now many EDP divisions that are essentially local travel leagues -- there's nothing wrong with that, but someone new to the scene should know that just being an EDP team doesn't mean much.

To be honest, with all the dilution of talent, even the EDP USYS divisions are a lot weaker than D1 and D2 used to be.

All respect to EDP, though -- they are the best.

Comment

Top 2 EDP brackets are good; after that it's a steep slope down. Ask to practice with a team before cattle call tryouts. Go and watch games as well. You'll get a better idea of the competitive level, how the team plays and how the coach works with them

Comment

Stop looking for"rankings" as

1) they're useless

2) it's TS so everyone has an agenda

3) what matters is what is the best fit for your player. Sitting on the bench at a so called top club doesn't do anyone any good. Start making phone calls and ask to come to a practice or two, see how your kid fits, watch how the coach works and talk to parents. Don't wait for tryout time later in the spring. Do this now. Once games start back up try and go watch some, again watching the level of play and the coach.
                            I know it makes sense to take them to practices now, but very worried my child's current very good club will find out, and then maybe it hurts their chances to get offer for next year, so basically have to wait for the mass cattle call tryouts. i just think its too small a world and coaches and parents talk so have risk of being seen as disloyal. any thoughts?

Comment

I know it makes sense to take them to practices now, but very worried my child's current very good club will find out, and then maybe it hurts their chances to get offer for next year, so basically have to wait for the mass cattle call tryouts. i just think its too small a world and coaches and parents talk so have risk of being seen as disloyal. any thoughts?
                              It is a touchy situation. But you have to look out for the child's best interest. I went through a similar situation. I told the other coach to please keep it quiet and i knew he had a good reputation that he could be trusted. You can always blame it on your child and say a friend asked him to come down. Your current coach will be on his/her toes now at least if they find out But this happens alot !

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X