• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doesn’t OW develope their own players?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Whoever doesn't think Oakwood is good at developing players simply does not understand statistics.

Obviously as a DA program, they are ALWAYS going to be an aggregator of talent. It's part of the deal. They will always pull talent for DA as they have the only badge in the state.

HOWEVER, pre-DA (u-13 and below) they are one of MANY clubs in the state. Probably less than 5% of the total clubs in CT.

So if they represent only 3-5% of the total clubs, but represent 20-40% of each DA team, you can't argue with their success as a developer. Even if it was only 1 in 10, 10% they'd still be ahead of the curve.

Just my two cents......

Comment

Yup but glastonbury parents have better bank accounts than genes to pass onto their kids. Thus when half the kids are replaced because they have 2 left feet and their parents bank accounts can't compensate for their kids lack of athletic ability....well you know what happens. Those parents come on TS and lament the fact that their kids didn't develop and blame OW. Meanwhile if they look in the mirror they are not exactly a physical specimen of athletic prowess.

Just look at the ulittle parents at OW. 80% of those kids have no shot with their genetics and it is amazing they get as good as they are by the time they are cut from the program.

Comment

her father gets bashed. but the girl can play.
          She is decent but i dont think it will last ... she has been bigger and stronger than her peers (even a year up) but that is going away and she is coming back down to earth .... she will be just a regular player next year.

Comment

Whoever doesn't think Oakwood is good at developing players simply does not understand statistics.

Obviously as a DA program, they are ALWAYS going to be an aggregator of talent. It's part of the deal. They will always pull talent for DA as they have the only badge in the state.

HOWEVER, pre-DA (u-13 and below) they are one of MANY clubs in the state. Probably less than 5% of the total clubs in CT.

So if they represent only 3-5% of the total clubs, but represent 20-40% of each DA team, you can't argue with their success as a developer. Even if it was only 1 in 10, 10% they'd still be ahead of the curve.

Just my two cents......
            You people are cra cra. Kid left for Oakwood several years back from our town. Plays in winter with us and is barely in top 50% of our town kids (Some from other clubs too). Some pretty shortsighted parents out there, but hey if your kid likes eating a whole bag of ruffles on the way to toronto, while you and the Mrs. has a free weekend go for it. I get that part

Comment

She is decent but i dont think it will last ... she has been bigger and stronger than her peers (even a year up) but that is going away and she is coming back down to earth .... she will be just a regular player next year.
              I get it, we don’t like certain types of parents like hers but seriously, can we be more positive about her talent and her drive to being the best Striker at her age?

Comment

oakwood

The girl is bigger and stronger than most of her peers. Even two years up where she has played at time. But she has very good skills as well and she plays super hard. When she drops down to her own age there is no one really close to her... No she isn't national team talent but if she isn't D1 talent I cant imagine anyone else in that 2007 class being D1 talent

Comment

You people are cra cra. Kid left for Oakwood several years back from our town. Plays in winter with us and is barely in top 50% of our town kids (Some from other clubs too). Some pretty shortsighted parents out there, but hey if your kid likes eating a whole bag of ruffles on the way to toronto, while you and the Mrs. has a free weekend go for it. I get that part
                  Either you are talking about a girl player or a boy ulittle. Otherwise I call BS. What is the age?

Comment

The girl is bigger and stronger than most of her peers. Even two years up where she has played at time. But she has very good skills as well and she plays super hard. When she drops down to her own age there is no one really close to her... No she isn't national team talent but if she isn't D1 talent I cant imagine anyone else in that 2007 class being D1 talent
                    Yikes! She has 5 years to go .... watch how much changes. Not just for her, but for what you think is her peer group. The peer group as a whole will get far better. Will she to stay ahead? I personally dont think so which is why none of you should dote so heavily on what 10, 11 and 12 year olds do. It rarely matters later as so many lose their artificial advantages and are often left dumbfounded when their bag of tricks stops working .... cant outrun, cant outboot, arent more technical ....

Comment

Or her dad makes her start to hate it. I've seen that plenty of times with over the top parents

Comment

Yikes! She has 5 years to go .... watch how much changes. Not just for her, but for what you think is her peer group. The peer group as a whole will get far better. Will she to stay ahead? I personally dont think so which is why none of you should dote so heavily on what 10, 11 and 12 year olds do. It rarely matters later as so many lose their artificial advantages and are often left dumbfounded when their bag of tricks stops working .... cant outrun, cant outboot, arent more technical ....
                        In only a few instances, do the very best 11 year olds end up as the very best 17/18 year olds.

Conversely, kids that you think are role players at 12 that are technical and have good genetics and work ethic end up being the prize.

Generally speaking the 5'5 unathletic Dad and his matching wife don't produce 5'8 females that have the pace and skill to play at the next level.

Comment

Bigger and stronger doesn’t do the trick, we have an useless one in ours. It makes sense to play her up to challenge her and develop her. And even tough she’s an 07, she does have the skill, the hunger, and the creativity to get the job done. When she’s paired up with a great midfield or her parter in crime whom i think is the better player, beautiful things happen.

Comment

In only a few instances, do the very best 11 year olds end up as the very best 17/18 year olds.

Conversely, kids that you think are role players at 12 that are technical and have good genetics and work ethic end up being the prize.

Generally speaking the 5'5 unathletic Dad and his matching wife don't produce 5'8 females that have the pace and skill to play at the next level.
                            Boom. Truth here. So many pretenders think u13 soccer is a signpost to future. So much changes

Comment

So true! When my 16 yo D was 11ish, there were 2 girls on her team that were projected to be the next USWNT Superstars (Lol). Coach, club, DOC, everyone, doted on them, got them in front of all the right people, got them into NTCs etc. I never felt either one was particularly talented.
                              Fast forward 5 years, all the attention and praise went to kids' & parents' heads. When all the other kids caught up, they couldn't handle it and refused to admit they just weren't that great. One has been with 4 different clubs in the same amount of years and currently is a reserve on a less than mediocre GDA team (not Oakwood), still chasing the right "environment for her to reach her full potential" (LOL) and the other moved to a decent (not great) town team where she would be the star! Rarely are the superstar U12s the superstars at U17!

Comment

take a look at the 02 class

the 3 best players in my town are still the 3 best players- i could argue that they switched spots but they are the 3 best players by miles

of the top 10 kids in the state (02-03 class) those kids were all amoungst the best when they were young

i think you can find the best if you know what you are looking at , i think good may fade

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X