Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It takes about 6 years to develop in the formative years!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Too many parents are unwilling to walk away from DA, even when they know deep down it isn't the best fit for their kid - even when it means their kid gets minimal pt, is stuck in one position all the time, is playing uncreative soccer etc. Always, always always explore your options and do so each and every year. Things change and your current home might not be the best fit next year.
    agree but it depends on your goals. I don't think the vast majority of DA kids can play in Europe for various reasons, not just talent or soccer IQ. DA represents the best route for many that are looking to play in U.S. colleges. I think the coaching at DA while not perfect is better than most non DA clubs (most, not all).

it is an imperfect system in a non-soccer country. if you really want your kid to play pro in Europe or south America, you need to move.

Comment

I'm the OP. There's another guy answering you on this subject as well. I don't know what you mean when you say Academy. There are many academies everywhere Europe and S. America where you pay to play and the levels are not that great. I'm talking about going to a professional team's youth divisions.

As in going to Inter Milan, Atletico Madrid's etc youth teams and trying out on their youth A team or 2nd Div B team. For example Atletico Madrid has a Juvenil A & B, then Atletico C, Atletico B and their La Liga 1st Div team. Same with the other Pro teams. Going to an Academy and paying money to play is not what I'm referring to. Two different animals.
      Maybe your son qualifies, who knows, but you have to be so good to stand out and play at a high youth level in spain or Italy that I would recommend most kids that are top DA players not even waste their money. It seems harsh but just take a look at how some of our DA teams fare in international competition. Most top kids in florida would be good local players in Europe but cannot handle first division u14 in Europe. Decision making is a huge part of it. Also, not just technical ability, but technical ability and decision making under enormous pressure. most of our FL kids play "forward" way too much for Europe and seek to attack under most circumstances. this is not how they play in spain or Italy.

Comment

I'm the OP. There's another guy answering you on this subject as well. I don't know what you mean when you say Academy. There are many academies everywhere Europe and S. America where you pay to play and the levels are not that great. I'm talking about going to a professional team's youth divisions.

As in going to Inter Milan, Atletico Madrid's etc youth teams and trying out on their youth A team or 2nd Div B team. For example Atletico Madrid has a Juvenil A & B, then Atletico C, Atletico B and their La Liga 1st Div team. Same with the other Pro teams. Going to an Academy and paying money to play is not what I'm referring to. Two different animals.
        Yes I am talking about professional team academies, Bundesliga and equivalents in central Europe. I am talking from personal experience. No such thing as a left/right/center back at the age of 15 for the youth teams we were at - they rotate players around. You see a kid playing center back one game and the next he is playing right winger. The ones that dont do as well in the middle of the field tend to be on the B teams the next year unless they are gifted with height or some other attribute that is rare.

Comment

Don't listen to him

amazing the BS some TS posters believe
          Signed,
          Coach that wants to win now, doesnt care about the player only his team, and doesnt need people on TS screwing up his gig

Comment

Yes I am talking about professional team academies, Bundesliga and equivalents in central Europe. I am talking from personal experience. No such thing as a left/right/center back at the age of 15 for the youth teams we were at - they rotate players around. You see a kid playing center back one game and the next he is playing right winger. The ones that dont do as well in the middle of the field tend to be on the B teams the next year unless they are gifted with height or some other attribute that is rare.
            Imagine - players being rotated across the field even at that age. You'll never see that here, not even on many DA teams. Kids get pigeon holed much too young. No wonder our development sucks

Comment

Signed,
              Coach that wants to win now, doesnt care about the player only his team, and doesnt need people on TS screwing up his gig
              Which pretty much describes most coaches in the US at all levels

Comment

Imagine - players being rotated across the field even at that age. You'll never see that here, not even on many DA teams. Kids get pigeon holed much too young. No wonder our development sucks
                Part of the pay-to-play model where the individual doesnt matter the team and club do - building a club/team brand so more suckers can be recruited next year = maximum numbers = maximum $$$ instead of developing players and getting paid from higher level placements. This is the difference between Europe and USA. With the US model, short cuts and corruption is so much easier. WIth the European model, hard work is required.

Comment

Part of the pay-to-play model where the individual doesnt matter the team and club do - building a club/team brand so more suckers can be recruited next year = maximum numbers = maximum $$$ instead of developing players and getting paid from higher level placements. This is the difference between Europe and USA. With the US model, short cuts and corruption is so much easier. WIth the European model, hard work is required.
                  But don't make Europe out to be soccer Nirvana, because it isn't. There's still plenty of politics etc. But at least there are multiple opportunities and levels to play, and parents won't have invested a small fortune for their kids' development.

Comment

But don't make Europe out to be soccer Nirvana, because it isn't. There's still plenty of politics etc. But at least there are multiple opportunities and levels to play, and parents won't have invested a small fortune for their kids' development.
                    Yes this is definitely true. Nationalism is a big problem in Europe. If you don't speak their language you have to be significantly better than one of their players to beat them out. If you are the same or just a little bit better, it wont be enough. They are very xenophobic there but oddly enough not racist just nationalist. If you are of different skin color but speak their language they will accept you. There are rare exceptions especially for players sent to Europe by US Soccer big-whigs.

Comment

Maybe at that age, I don't know. But my son was 18 when we went so there's no more experimenting at that age anymore. You either own the position or you don't...

Comment

6 years? ever heard of the 10,000 hour rule ;)

Comment

6 years? ever heard of the 10,000 hour rule ;)
                          But if you don't get the playing time, it's harder to get good quality 10,000 hours involving playing against good competition. That is why taking 22 on a team, having 11v11 scrimmages, throwing kids in every position in practices and scrimmages is good. Games are games, and coaches have to win. But the coaches who are not playing their players should be fired. There is a way to get every player into the game and not lose every game if you are a good coach.

Comment

But if you don't get the playing time, it's harder to get good quality 10,000 hours involving playing against good competition. That is why taking 22 on a team, having 11v11 scrimmages, throwing kids in every position in practices and scrimmages is good. Games are games, and coaches have to win. But the coaches who are not playing their players should be fired. There is a way to get every player into the game and not lose every game if you are a good coach.
                            yes agree .. every time I see a coach spend half a practice or more on physical I cringe. if you run a scrimmage correctly it gets them experience and physical training ... a good player can do gassers on their own..

Comment

yes agree .. every time I see a coach spend half a practice or more on physical I cringe. if you run a scrimmage correctly it gets them experience and physical training ... a good player can do gassers on their own..
                              Where is the DOC or technical trainer walking around to ensure this is not happening?

Comment

Where is the DOC or technical trainer walking around to ensure this is not happening?
                                not every place has a DOC that supervises. sometimes the DOC himself likes physical training.

take for example those beach practices that most coaches love. if u ask me running on the beach or up a bridge should be handled on the players own time, according to a workout schedule that the coach provides to each player. if a player does not follow, it's their loss. taking a group of 15 year olds running on the beach is what you do when you do not have proper practice facility and./or are lazy and do not want to come up with a training plan.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X