Coach won't let my daughter play striker

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The coach assesses each player's skills and usually puts them where they can help the team the most. When kids come from rec programs into travel soccer, most of them are the scorers for their rec teams. I told my son when joining travel to play wherever the coach needs you to play. He was a scorer in rec but they needed solid defenders and my son fit the bill. He played great defense for the last three years and then we switched clubs and the coach has him at Center Mid. I knew he could always play that position but his past coaches loved his solid defense. Striker and forward are also positions where you can hide your not so good players.

Comment

I am currently in the same position with my 05 daughter. She is on a pre-encl team with a highly qualified coach. I understand your frustration but I will tell you this from my experience. The best players naturally gravitate to the striker position but sometimes shoring up the defense becomes a bigger team goal than having a killer offense. It is a team sport and if your daughter is playing back in a central role then it would serve you and your daughter best to let the coach use her in this way. I know it is hard especially if you and your daughter have a lot invested in her striking skills(private training,etc...). Those are the things that are probably shinning through to the coach and making your daughter valuable all over the field. If play time is also suffering then there may be a bigger problem. In my daughter's case once she is moved to a defensive role she doesn't leave the field.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        I'm all about development and my daughter playing multiple positions, but she's a natural at striker and has success when given the opportunity (although few a far between). She starts, so this is not about playing time. I just don't understand what the deal is.
        Coach wants their own kid up top... even though they can't score a goal. Stop playing for daddy coach.

Comment

I am currently in the same position with my 05 daughter. She is on a pre-encl team with a highly qualified coach. I understand your frustration but I will tell you this from my experience. The best players naturally gravitate to the striker position but sometimes shoring up the defense becomes a bigger team goal than having a killer offense. It is a team sport and if your daughter is playing back in a central role then it would serve you and your daughter best to let the coach use her in this way. I know it is hard especially if you and your daughter have a lot invested in her striking skills(private training,etc...). Those are the things that are probably shinning through to the coach and making your daughter valuable all over the field. If play time is also suffering then there may be a bigger problem. In my daughter's case once she is moved to a defensive role she doesn't leave the field.
          OK, Reggie

Comment

Natural striker = cherry picker.

Give me a "natural" defender or a "natural" midfielder any day of the week. I can do more with someone willing to mix it up and win balls than someone that just wants to score.

Comment

WHAAAAT !!!! No way , I would pack up and move to a different club , the nerve !!!

Comment

The only thing a 12 year old can do 'naturally' is breath and take a dump. Relax. Your kid may not even want to play soccer in 2 years. Just have fun and enjoy watching the game. No one is being recruited.

Comment

The only thing a 12 year old can do 'naturally' is breath and take a dump. Relax. Your kid may not even want to play soccer in 2 years. Just have fun and enjoy watching the game. No one is being recruited.
                  Hardly, she is already committed to committing to a top 10 team in a couple of years...

Comment

Coach wants their own kid up top... even though they can't score a goal. Stop playing for daddy coach.
                    Your little Mia riding the bench???..hahahahahaha

Comment

Just coach her and put her where you want to put her.
                      Everyone knows coaches are ignorant, regardless of their qualifications. And parents are experts regardless of their qualifications.

So there.....put your expertise to good use.

Comment

Natural striker = cherry picker.

Give me a "natural" defender or a "natural" midfielder any day of the week. I can do more with someone willing to mix it up and win balls than someone that just wants to score.
                        This is truly funny.

I can find a brutish ball winning defender or midfielder anywhere. It takes a truly special player to score goals. It is the hardest thing in the game to do successfully---be a consistent scorer.

Why do think goal scorers are the highest paid players in soccer?

Good parents don't let their kids play defender at any point before they are 15 years old. Truth!!!!

Comment

This is truly funny.

I can find a brutish ball winning defender or midfielder anywhere. It takes a truly special player to score goals. It is the hardest thing in the game to do successfully---be a consistent scorer.

Good parents don't let their kids play defender at any point before they are 15 years old. Truth!!!!
                          A - It's easy to say you can find a brutish ball winning defender or midfielder anywhere, but the fact is, a good intelligent ball winner is hard to find. Sure you can have someone plow into other players, but the key is finding one that isn't fouling on every tackle or just clearing the ball after winning it.

B - I would say stopping goals is the hardest thing in the game to do successfully.

C- They are the highest paid because most people want to see goals scored.

D - Good parents allow their kids to play every position on the field, so they have a clue and aren't pigeon-holed when they get to the higher levels.

You take a kid that thinks they're Messi or Ronaldo and put them on the back line and all of a sudden they're trying to dribble around in your defending third, losing the ball and giving up a a scoring opportunity. Not to mention, its easier to play up top and lose the ball because you have 9-10 other players behind you to erase your mistake, a defender doesn't have that luxury.

Comment

My daughter is older, but was the superstar striker as a youngling. Trust me, you don't want her pigeonholed there. It can hurt her development long term. She is better off learning how to pass and receive, manage the ball, and score from more challenging spots on the field. She can take over the striker role when she is older, has skill, and its clear she is a closer too.

Comment

That is the best thing that can happen to her.
                              Let her play defense and enjoy it. Let her play mid-field.

Move her off her comfort zone (natural whatever); she will learn and grow.

Open your mind. It will be the best thing that happens to her at that age.

I talk from experience.

Comment

This is truly funny.

Actually, good parents don't give a **** and tend to raise kids who are respectable and coachable. Its actually a pretty simple job in the end, but many fall well short of this.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X