Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It takes about 6 years to develop in the formative years!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"They agree it takes about 6 years to develop a soccer player into a potential professional player."

This is a great quote and quite a safe statement, since any healthy kid is "potentially" a professional player. You don`t even have to "develop" them. The potential is there, no matter what.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      There are many things that can be discussed and we all have our pet peeves.

Here's mine: midfield play. you talk to a coach from Europe and the first thing they say is that the defenders should get the ball to the midfield and the midfield controls the pace of the game and orchestrates the attack. Europeans really focus on the midfield from a young age. Here in the U.S. unless you play DA the midfield wins the ball and sends it long. Like, every play. Defense wins the ball and sends it long. It is shocking to see a team that really plays through its midfield. That's my pet peeve. There is no way you can develop world class soccer players treating the midfield like the garbage can you need to kick the ball over.
      Developing game intelligence, or more accurately the ability to make many good decisions during games, comes from being challenged to do so, and includes playing with all kind of different tactics, including the long ball, when appropriate, and aimed to a teammate in the right position to use it.

Comment

Agreed that by the time many kids make it into DA many formative training years are lost. They spend all their time trying trying to catch up in race that may never be won when you start behind everyone else. Kids aren't taught properly from very young ages - they learn in rec programs with volunteer programs, daddy coaches etc. And many who have potential can't afford our pay to play system. At least DA is trying to move down into the younger ages (U12) - not ideal but a step forward. Many more steps are needed though
        Then, they get into the DA and start learning one particular way of playing missing out on all the other styles, tactics and strategies, mostly tied to one particular position, to make sure they do not learn all facets of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Just a Coach View Post
          Then, they get into the DA and start learning one particular way of playing missing out on all the other styles, tactics and strategies, mostly tied to one particular position, to make sure they do not learn all facets of the game.
          Happened to my kid - he was a good defender as a U14 (DA starter), coach enjoyed using him there to win games, but when he wanted to get better at managing flow of game and develop spatial/situational awareness as a midfielder, the coach told us no, because it was time he needed to specialize (as a defender). We recognized that this was bad advice and moved him (losing DA as a result). Now he is midfield terror for a top 10 U18 team, very good at evading pressure with first touch into positive space, beautiful with his turns, ball advancement, through balls etc.. We traded DA for better development but are locked out of "the system". I tell him he can take his talent a lot farther than a shiny soccer resume - NASL, Europe, etc dont care about the resume they all look at players with their own eyes and at least in Europe they always evaluate players as mids during trials, no matter what position you play, because they are looking for IQ in addition to skill, strength and speed/quickness.

Funny thing now this coach is coaching as an assistant in college...

Comment

Happened to my kid - he was a good defender as a U14 (DA starter), coach enjoyed using him there to win games, but when he wanted to get better at managing flow of game and develop spatial/situational awareness as a midfielder, the coach told us no, because it was time he needed to specialize (as a defender). We recognized that this was bad advice and moved him (losing DA as a result). Now he is midfield terror for a top 10 U18 team, very good at evading pressure with first touch into positive space, beautiful with his turns, ball advancement, through balls etc.. We traded DA for better development but are locked out of "the system". I tell him he can take his talent a lot farther than a shiny soccer resume - NASL, Europe, etc dont care about the resume they all look at players with their own eyes and at least in Europe they always evaluate players as mids during trials, no matter what position you play, because they are looking for IQ in addition to skill, strength and speed/quickness.

Really- they always evaluate players as mids to see IQ , etc etc?

Comment

Too many parents are unwilling to walk away from DA, even when they know deep down it isn't the best fit for their kid - even when it means their kid gets minimal pt, is stuck in one position all the time, is playing uncreative soccer etc. Always, always always explore your options and do so each and every year. Things change and your current home might not be the best fit next year.

Comment

Really- they always evaluate players as mids to see IQ , etc etc?
                Yes, in Europe at pro team youth academies they do. If they have two left backs they want to chose from, they stick them both in at center mid during a scrimmage to see which one is the best left back.

Comment

Yes, in Europe at pro team youth academies they do. If they have two left backs they want to chose from, they stick them both in at center mid during a scrimmage to see which one is the best left back.
                  This is not true especially if you're over 17-18 yrs old. At that point they're going to ask you where you play and put you there mostly. I've been to a few teams with my son and they placed him where he said he plays.Only exception being if he didn't play well enough in that position or they need somebody in another position and have the confidence he can play or compete there.

Comment

This is not true especially if you're over 17-18 yrs old. At that point they're going to ask you where you play and put you there mostly. I've been to a few teams with my son and they placed him where he said he plays.Only exception being if he didn't play well enough in that position or they need somebody in another position and have the confidence he can play or compete there.
                    Maybe a difference between latin/south america and europe. My son has been to two pro academy trials in Europe (ages 14 and 15) and they did as you say, putting where he spent most of his time at first, to get him comfortable, but then they moved him to center mid later in the scrimmages and according to what the coaches told us during debriefing this was really the only part of the training they were fully evaluating him. Both did the same thing and neither knew about the other trial.

He did attend a third in Europe too, where they played him at his primary position only, but he only got a short time in the game and it was for a 3rd division side.

I also used to know an academy level coach in the US and he told me he did the same thing when evaluating players.

After these experiences my son switched to midfield and he is now a significantly better left back when asked to play there than he was before (of course he is older too, so it is hard to be certain but my intuition is that he is a completely different player now than he used to me - much more multi-faceted/dimensional).

Comment

Maybe a difference between latin/south america and europe. My son has been to two pro academy trials in Europe (ages 14 and 15) and they did as you say, putting where he spent most of his time at first, to get him comfortable, but then they moved him to center mid later in the scrimmages and according to what the coaches told us during debriefing this was really the only part of the training they were fully evaluating him. Both did the same thing and neither knew about the other trial.

He did attend a third in Europe too, where they played him at his primary position only, but he only got a short time in the game and it was for a 3rd division side.

I also used to know an academy level coach in the US and he told me he did the same thing when evaluating players.

After these experiences my son switched to midfield and he is now a significantly better left back when asked to play there than he was before (of course he is older too, so it is hard to be certain but my intuition is that he is a completely different player now than he used to me - much more multi-faceted/dimensional).
                      Also could be a difference in age between your son during his trial and my son during his. At the ages of 14-15 the Europeans we interacted with did not consider a player a left back, center back or mid. They put their most talented players at mid, less talented players as defenders, also sometimes forwards. They are always looking for more talented players, and when they find them, they displace other players in the back/forwards who were not able to graduate to the midfield. Its like a pyramid based on overall quality not specialized ability. I do not know at which age this changes but I believe it is still the philosophy at the age of 16 for many clubs (their U17s). Probably by U19 players are specialized and from there they go up to U20, U21 and then mens team if good enough.

Comment

Also could be a difference in age between your son during his trial and my son during his. At the ages of 14-15 the Europeans we interacted with did not consider a player a left back, center back or mid. They put their most talented players at mid, less talented players as defenders, also sometimes forwards. They are always looking for more talented players, and when they find them, they displace other players in the back/forwards who were not able to graduate to the midfield. Its like a pyramid based on overall quality not specialized ability. I do not know at which age this changes but I believe it is still the philosophy at the age of 16 for many clubs (their U17s). Probably by U19 players are specialized and from there they go up to U20, U21 and then mens team if good enough.
                        Interesting

Comment

I'm the OP. There's another guy answering you on this subject as well. I don't know what you mean when you say Academy. There are many academies everywhere Europe and S. America where you pay to play and the levels are not that great. I'm talking about going to a professional team's youth divisions.

As in going to Inter Milan, Atletico Madrid's etc youth teams and trying out on their youth A team or 2nd Div B team. For example Atletico Madrid has a Juvenil A & B, then Atletico C, Atletico B and their La Liga 1st Div team. Same with the other Pro teams. Going to an Academy and paying money to play is not what I'm referring to. Two different animals.

Comment

Interesting
                            Don't listen to him

amazing the BS some TS posters believe

Comment

My kid is on U11 travel team and the coach told us it's better for their development if they are only playing one position because they will be better than anyone else at that position down the road. I can see on the team kids are locked into one position based on how they do in that spot. A couple only defend or only mid, left footed kid only plays left wing, etc. I do not agree with what is going on and am probably going to change teams when possible. Unfortunately it's hard to know what a team will do until you have committed and get into the season. Do most teams do this ? Is it in coaching license curriculum in USA to specialize 10 year old in position?

Comment

My kid is on U11 travel team and the coach told us it's better for their development if they are only playing one position because they will be better than anyone else at that position down the road. I can see on the team kids are locked into one position based on how they do in that spot. A couple only defend or only mid, left footed kid only plays left wing, etc. I do not agree with what is going on and am probably going to change teams when possible. Unfortunately it's hard to know what a team will do until you have committed and get into the season. Do most teams do this ? Is it in coaching license curriculum in USA to specialize 10 year old in position?
                                Run away as fast you can. No ten year old should ever be in the same position on a regular basis.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X