Best Clubs for sending College Commits

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We spend the money we do on soccer because it teaches our kids life lessons that are hard to get in the modern world we live. They can be decisive under pressure, they stand up for themselves, they learn to push their bodies and their minds to the limit. They don't give up just because something is hard.

This flows over in to their school work and focus off the field.

I've got one that's an academic and just wants to be good enough to make the high school team and then head off to MIT (etc), and one that just wants to play in college (any college) and be a school gym teacher.

We raised both kids the same and they have come out quite different :) That's the point of being a parent you find the path that is best for your kid. So if for one it's ending soccer and not playing in college (even after all the money spent on RCL) that's fine. If the other goes to CC for 2 years and gets her AA then moves to a larger university that's great too, theirs no shame in that.

Not sure if it's still the same, but used to be that Washington state schools had to accept 90% of applicants with an AA, so it was a great back door for kids who maybe didn't get the best grades in high school, or couldn't afford a full university.

I was one of those kids who could never afford club soccer, it's a crap system. I went to CC for two years paid for with need based pell grants and then did loans for my 2 years of major coursework. My degree is no less valid then the folks that went to the same school for four years, it's actually an identical piece of paper, imagine that.

Comment

I think both the above posters are coming from mostly the same opinion.

There are students (regardless of sports participation) that aren’t the brightest and will never be able to take a calculus class or attend a top university.
      There are a lot more whose parents simply push & spend money on sports success but don’t care at all about academics. Just like there are some kids who simply aren’t athletic enough to ever make the A team but those same kids WILL improve in soccer if they spend extra time practicing.
      CC shouldn’t be scoffed at by anyone. It can and is also used by smarter kids to save money for their first two years of college. Regardless, it is a good college path for many.
      OTOH, if a kid’s only option is CC because they spend all their time on sports, it is true that their parents would serve them much better by having them spend a little more time & money on academics and a little less on sports. College options would increase exponentially on the academic improvement. Career options will also increase exponentially with a 4yr college degree - particularly if it’s not in Underwater Basket Weaving.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x
      Working...
      X