X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    If you ain't cheating you ain't trying .... Only wrong if you get caught
    And people still wonder why the world is in the state it is in.

Comment

I'll give you an example: My daughter will often give a hard foul to her mark early in a game. Not necessarily dirty (lays off the knees and ankles), but a message is sent. "It's not going to be easy for you today."

And, no, I never taught her that...

Could be a little forearm in the small of her back. Maybe a hard shoulder on a 50-50. Not dirty, but more often then not it's a foul. Even better when it happens on the side where the parents are so they get wound up and spend half the game yelling at her over it.

Is this wrong?

(And, she will always go up to the player after the game and ensure it's all good, nice game, etc etc)

Just thought I would pass along the obvious:

Why in heck would you think that the opposing players would retailiate against your kid? They will find a good player on your kid's team and wipe him/her out maybe more than once, and maybe cause an injury in the process. Some other player then lets your kid know, or one of your kid's teammates know -- that was because of what #xx (your kid) is doing. So, in summary, if your kid were on my kid's team and I saw that crap happen once, you and I would have a conversation and you would make sure that your kid never did that again.

Players get hurt all the time playing. For women at a high level, the long-term stats say that on average 1 player on every team will blow a knee each year. They do not need to increase those odds because a player on their team is a jerk. It's not cool. It's not playing tough. It is playing in a way to hurt someone else -- very much including teammates in retaliation for her playing stupid.

Comment

Do MMA if you feel the need to hurt people

Comment

I'll give you an example: My daughter will often give a hard foul to her mark early in a game. Not necessarily dirty (lays off the knees and ankles), but a message is sent. "It's not going to be easy for you today."

And, no, I never taught her that...

Could be a little forearm in the small of her back. Maybe a hard shoulder on a 50-50. Not dirty, but more often then not it's a foul. Even better when it happens on the side where the parents are so they get wound up and spend half the game yelling at her over it.

Is this wrong?

(And, she will always go up to the player after the game and ensure it's all good, nice game, etc etc)
          I encourage this type of early behavior by my son in matches. The point of it is 2 fold. 1st, like OP stated above, let other team know it will not be a cake walk. 2nd and more importantly, test to see what the officials tolerance for physical play. Set the tone early so everyone knows what kind of match it will be.

Comment

Just thought I would pass along the obvious:

Why in heck would you think that the opposing players would retailiate against your kid? They will find a good player on your kid's team and wipe him/her out maybe more than once, and maybe cause an injury in the process. Some other player then lets your kid know, or one of your kid's teammates know -- that was because of what #xx (your kid) is doing. So, in summary, if your kid were on my kid's team and I saw that crap happen once, you and I would have a conversation and you would make sure that your kid never did that again.

Players get hurt all the time playing. For women at a high level, the long-term stats say that on average 1 player on every team will blow a knee each year. They do not need to increase those odds because a player on their team is a jerk. It's not cool. It's not playing tough. It is playing in a way to hurt someone else -- very much including teammates in retaliation for her playing stupid.
            It's a rough sport. Sooner you accept it the better. The same exact thing happens in all contact sports: football, hockey, even basketball. Give someone a little shot to see where their mettle is.

Soccer isn't only about skills and tactics; it's about the physical and the mental.

And, to be clear, I'll reiterate: Nothing dirty. I'll pull her myself if she intends to injure or goes after the vulnerable areas. But, a nudge between the shoulder blades will give them something to think about.

Have you thought about maybe taking up swimming? I don't think there's contact in that. Might be something to consider.

Comment

CT board has a discussion about girls soccer, prompted by a story in CT of a player arrested for assault (hit the player so hard in the head she was concussed). THAT isn't soccer.

https://fox61.com/2019/12/12/derby-h...g-soccer-game/

Nor was this a few years back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E1fMx7jgxQ

I don't care of someone was smack talking, that's not how you react. Keep your emotions somewhat in check and show your opponent you mean business without resorting to actual assault

Comment

And people still wonder why the world is in the state it is in.
                They do ... and most of the rest of us why the world is no longer allowed to be competitive ... even in something like ECNL or GDA that is supposed to be all about THAT! You are soft, rudy-poo ...

Comment

It's a rough sport. Sooner you accept it the better. The same exact thing happens in all contact sports: football, hockey, even basketball. Give someone a little shot to see where their mettle is.

Soccer isn't only about skills and tactics; it's about the physical and the mental.

And, to be clear, I'll reiterate: Nothing dirty. I'll pull her myself if she intends to injure or goes after the vulnerable areas. But, a nudge between the shoulder blades will give them something to think about.

Have you thought about maybe taking up swimming? I don't think there's contact in that. Might be something to consider.
                  Well maybe. I have a 3:30 am phone call set this morning to talk to my kid in Germany. Do you think I should tell him your advice? My daughter probably didn’t make the NWSL team she tried out for because she must not have followed your advice. 4 years of college ball - who knew.

So here’s some advice; it is not tough. It is stupid. It will get her hurt and it will get her teammates hurt if she plays long enough. Mostly though teammates won’t want her around. It’s a very good way to get cut.

Comment

Well maybe. I have a 3:30 am phone call set this morning to talk to my kid in Germany. Do you think I should tell him your advice? My daughter probably didn’t make the NWSL team she tried out for because she must not have followed your advice. 4 years of college ball - who knew.

So here’s some advice; it is not tough. It is stupid. It will get her hurt and it will get her teammates hurt if she plays long enough. Mostly though teammates won’t want her around. It’s a very good way to get cut.

Yes, I do want you to ask your kids. Honestly, and tell me what they say. Because, every coach I've ever heard of advocates the same tactics.

Loosen up those panties though

Comment

Yes, I do want you to ask your kids. Honestly, and tell me what they say. Because, every coach I've ever heard of advocates the same tactics.

Loosen up those panties though
                      Roy Keane, Patrick Viera, Arturo Vidal, John Terry, Gennaro Gattuso, Materazzi, Sergio Ramos, Alexi Lalas (if you wanted an American male), Julie Ertz (American Female for ya').... all known for getting stuck in and sending a message if one needed to be sent. All would stand up for a teammate. All played hard, but mostly not dirty (you fail to realize the difference) and all are vital components of their team's successes.

In fact, as an Arsenal fan, I'd tell you the one thing missing in the last 15 years is someone with the Cahonas to do just that.

Comment

I encourage this type of early behavior by my son in matches. The point of it is 2 fold. 1st, like OP stated above, let other team know it will not be a cake walk. 2nd and more importantly, test to see what the officials tolerance for physical play. Set the tone early so everyone knows what kind of match it will be.
                        I'm guessing you don't encourage it off the field because you know he is a wimp that would get beat down. Make sure you hit him from behind son. Don't worry, the ref and parents will break it up if he comes after you. No room for dirty players in youth sports. If you want your son to be a tough guy do it off the pitch loser. Stop encouraging fake tough guy stuff in games where other kids aren't expecting it if you want your son to be the gangster that you seem to be trying to instill in him.

Comment

DA player punching an opponent in the face

I'm guessing you don't encourage it off the field because you know he is a wimp that would get beat down. Make sure you hit him from behind son. Don't worry, the ref and parents will break it up if he comes after you. No room for dirty players in youth sports. If you want your son to be a tough guy do it off the pitch loser. Stop encouraging fake tough guy stuff in games where other kids aren't expecting it if you want your son to be the gangster that you seem to be trying to instill in him.
                          awe boohoo...suck it up buttercup...If you have an issue, grab a tissue.

If you are pretending that kiddie soccer is the best thing ever and is nice and pretty and innocent....you are in for a very rude awakening if you plan on playing at a college level or higher.

You can expect concussions, black eyes, cuts & stitches, broken bones, etc....There is a reason soccer is the 3rd most dangerous activity to play for boys (behind football and basketball).

Comment

You really need to calm down. Nobody is talking about a dirty tackle. I specifically stated to lay off the knees and ankles. Getting into someone's head and making sure they know they have to deal with the physical play -WHICH IS PART OF THE GAME- is encouraged by every coach.

Every coach.

Nobody wants their team to be pushovers.

Really, grow a pair already. People like you are how soccer gets the reputation it's for poosies.

Comment

I am all for a hard tackle but I generally dont encourage seeking out an opportunity to "test someones mettle" because all you're doing is giving direction that will take the player out of the moment.

A player who is naturally physical won't need any extra encouragement. On the flip side, if I have to encourage physical aggression then that means the player is not naturally inclined to that and i'll be forcing them to devote whatever % of their mind to something that isn't who they are. You can't make Sergio Busquets into Sergio Ramos.

Comment

I am all for a hard tackle but I generally dont encourage seeking out an opportunity to "test someones mettle" because all you're doing is giving direction that will take the player out of the moment.

A player who is naturally physical won't need any extra encouragement. On the flip side, if I have to encourage physical aggression then that means the player is not naturally inclined to that and i'll be forcing them to devote whatever % of their mind to something that isn't who they are. You can't make Sergio Busquets into Sergio Ramos.
                                Can't even understand your point.

Try again?

Because, the way I read it, you are saying someone who is naturally not physical has to now think about the physical and gets them off the game....then...yes...that's exactly the point. Make Busquets try to be Ramos, you've won the 4th pillar of the game.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X