Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post

(Actually, it should be pointed out that the Thorns have TWO academies, both associated with a youth club. The one in Oregon, which is run by Westside, and one in Northern California, which is run by De Anza Force. Neither, to my knowledge, is free; and the CA club is located a good 600 miles or so from the associated pro team).
    California Thorns: A parent from that club told me that they sought out the Thorns name/partnership because it fast tracked them into DA. They were ECNL before.

The team is a mishmash of players from all over the area. Most of the De Anza players, but also new players coming in specifically because they became DA.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2619150]The reign already has good coaching in DA and now they are getting more. They picked up a coach from Crossfire and more are coming in.

Which coach did they get from XF?

Comment

Will OL taking over Reigns DA encourage more coaches to consider moving to Reign? If I were a coach I'd be thinking that the grass may be greener now that the big Goliath is writing the checks.

May be some other benefits coming as well, travel, coaching some pipeline international players, possible travel?. If you were say a top respected coach at one of the smaller clubs, wouldn't Reign look exciting?

I'm asking because I will most likely be paying for ECNL for my DD in two years and looking ahead to the best coaching out there.

Thoughts?

Comment

Will OL taking over Reigns DA encourage more coaches to consider moving to Reign? If I were a coach I'd be thinking that the grass may be greener now that the big Goliath is writing the checks.

May be some other benefits coming as well, travel, coaching some pipeline international players, possible travel?. If you were say a top respected coach at one of the smaller clubs, wouldn't Reign look exciting?

I'm asking because I will most likely be paying for ECNL for my DD in two years and looking ahead to the best coaching out there.

Thoughts?

Xfire's ECNL is funded by the club.

Comment

I would think that quality coaching out weighs xFire payments. Just say Billy and people run in fear

Comment

2 years is a long time before you have to make a decision. You have the ability to wait and see how the OL purchase affects Reign youth teams. I believe it will absolutely have a positive effect, but in two years there are plenty of unknowns. I think there is a possibility that GDA doesn’t exist in 2 years, certainly not in its current state.

Comment

I would think that quality coaching out weighs xFire payments. Just say Billy and people run in fear
                My kid plays for xfire. Anywhere you go, it depends on the coach. Her coach is a good fit for her (it's not Billy) More than one soccer player in our family and we've dealt with dozens of coaches since rec and have learned a good coach for one kid may not be good for another.

One thing about xfire -- if Club is paying, they're taking your kid because they want your kid, not your money.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2619422]
                  The reign already has good coaching in DA and now they are getting more. They picked up a coach from Crossfire and more are coming in.

Which coach did they get from XF?
                  Oh that would be Bree Rowe-Borth, sister of Keylen Rowe of the Revs and XF. Bree was one of the special ones at XF, due to her brother most awesomeness. They allowed her high level teams to learn how to coach, while being preggers not once, but twice. Awesome results. Take a look at some of her teams. Ask some of the XF parents if they dare peep a word. Now at Reign. Haha. Keep her there, please! Billy is a jerk and Justi is hardass meanie, but at least they can coach in between the yelling and screaming. :) Almost done and we are going to run away, far far away.

Comment

My kid plays for xfire. Anywhere you go, it depends on the coach. Her coach is a good fit for her (it's not Billy) More than one soccer player in our family and we've dealt with dozens of coaches since rec and have learned a good coach for one kid may not be good for another.

One thing about xfire -- if Club is paying, they're taking your kid because they want your kid, not your money.
                    HAHAHA. Special one. The Chosen One? What are you a Jedi?
                    How about the money from U8 and up? And all of the kids they got rid of in between? And all of the B-Z teams? Hehehe. Yeah, Damn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta.
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IJCFc_qkHw

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2620864]

Oh that would be Bree Rowe-Borth, sister of Keylen Rowe of the Revs and XF. Bree was one of the special ones at XF, due to her brother most awesomeness. They allowed her high level teams to learn how to coach, while being preggers not once, but twice. Awesome results. Take a look at some of her teams. Ask some of the XF parents if they dare peep a word. Now at Reign. Haha. Keep her there, please! Billy is a jerk and Justi is hardass meanie, but at least they can coach in between the yelling and screaming. :) Almost done and we are going to run away, far far away.
                      Bree left XF last year. Wouldn’t call it poaching a coach by any means.

Comment

I have to agree that this is not a notable coaching addition, not sure where Reign intends to place her but honestly as a coach still developing and not DA level at this point.

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2620864]

Comment

HAHAHA. Special one. The Chosen One? What are you a Jedi?
                          How about the money from U8 and up? And all of the kids they got rid of in between? And all of the B-Z teams? Hehehe. Yeah, Damn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta.
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IJCFc_qkHw
                          Yeah, all clubs want your money. I was referring specifically to the funded ECNL/DA programs, which some kids transfer into after giving all their money to other clubs for years...we did that because of a better coaching fit. Nothing "special" about it, other than if you're a fit for the team, you don't pay.

Comment

Bree was no loss to XF, parents were complaining, preferred their guest coaches while she was out for maternity leave. Nice person, but has a long way to go in her coaching development. I'll never understand why XF has zero support for new coaches. No mentor program, coaching director? whats that? I find it shocking that someone who gets paid to be a "coaching director" doesn't make it their business to get around to a training by each coach to see how their sessions are going.

yeah it's not lost on the XF families that pay to play up to U12, only to have the free team spots go to folks outside the club.

There's no loyalty to the players at XF, despite the club demanding absolute loyalty from their families. At tryouts kids from outside the club are guaranteed a look by upper teams. Everyone in XF knows if your kids a bubble player, go to another club and come back. Pretty much will move up as they will finally get an honest look. Have seen it happen several times.

Their girls side is suffering only 2 teams per age at U little, makes it hard to fill quality teams as rosters increase. So they have to poach.

Can't keep charging a premium for crappy coaching in this environment.

If you pay the same price for C team as A team there shouldn't be any difference in the quality of coaching. If there is the club isn't interested in developing talent, they just want your money.

Comment

"There's no loyalty to the players at XF, despite the club demanding absolute loyalty from their families."

This attitude isn't unique to XFire. SU cut 6 from an ECNL team last year, promoted 1 player from Copa, took 5 from Surf/Sound or whatever it's called to create a feeder revenue stream. Nothing against the new players themselves, but that's not a show of loyalty from the club

Comment

The same concerns about Crossfire have been repeated on these boards and rumored from parents for the past 2 years. If this were a for profit company, a CEO change would be demanded by shareholders.

I am not a crossfire parent, although I have considered sending my DD there in hopes of experiencing an elevated level of play and coaching. We are currently at the cushy club sometimes accused of being a daycare for rich kids. If half of this sh×t is true, it really sucks for kids that just want to play soccer and be treated with respect.

With OL and possibly other European teams entering our system, it will be interesting to see what changes if any occur.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X