How to behave when your son is by far the best player

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everyone loves the best kid. Makes everyone else feel happier for themselves because the team wins more games, and everyone gets to cheer. The LeBron Factor.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      My son is the MVP and captain on his team and I feel that the lesser players really look up to him. This is great since my son is a great leader. The problem I have is that sometimes there is jealousy between the parents which may cause some issues. This thread is intended for other fathers who's sons are the best on their teams. How do you handle the demands placed on you by the other parents?
      So he's got a contract pending with Real Madrid, behind James! Humility is clearly not in their core values....

Comment

So he's got a contract pending with Real Madrid, behind James! Humility is clearly not in their core values....
        Humility has nothing to do with this. My son is loved by his teammates, he is after all their Captain. He always thanks them for being there in supporting roles but make no mistake they always know who the MVP is. I just wish the other parents understood this as well. Instead some might put unnecessary pressure on their sons to play at the same level as my son. I think this is unfair to the kids and this is the point I am trying to get across. Again I am sorry if this is coming across as arrogance I assure you that is not my intent.

Comment

My son is the MVP and captain on his team and I feel that the lesser players really look up to him. This is great since my son is a great leader. The problem I have is that sometimes there is jealousy between the parents which may cause some issues. This thread is intended for other fathers who's sons are the best on their teams. How do you handle the demands placed on you by the other parents?
          Not sure what your kids sittuation is. But here are some things that could be going on: 1. You are playing at the wrong level. Does yourteam compete in Div I for your age group? 2. You are underestimating the value/contribution of the other team members. If your son is the goal machine, someone has to be setting him up, someone has to be playign defense. Do u have a background in soccer? If not maybe you are not appreciating these things. Try movving to a team with a porous defense and see how things change. 3. This thread is bullshyt. Anyone who has a kid that is good at this sport knows that its not basketball. There is no lebron james. The best players get 4-5 opps per game. The best players often play midfield and u judge their value by how well they organize, pass, recoup balls, etc. Its not really an MVP type sport; its a team game.

Comment

Not sure what your kids sittuation is. But here are some things that could be going on: 1. You are playing at the wrong level. Does yourteam compete in Div I for your age group? 2. You are underestimating the value/contribution of the other team members. If your son is the goal machine, someone has to be setting him up, someone has to be playign defense. Do u have a background in soccer? If not maybe you are not appreciating these things. Try movving to a team with a porous defense and see how things change. 3. This thread is bullshyt. Anyone who has a kid that is good at this sport knows that its not basketball. There is no lebron james. The best players get 4-5 opps per game. The best players often play midfield and u judge their value by how well they organize, pass, recoup balls, etc. Its not really an MVP type sport; its a team game.
            Exactly my point, you understand perfectly. Is your son elite too?

Comment

What age is your kid ? If he is humble and you are humble he will have the chance to make everyone else on his team better. If you are humble other parents wont be jealous they will just be happy to have you and your son around. Believe me I have been living that for 3 years now. My family and my son get along great with everyone on the team.

Comment

Humility has nothing to do with this. My son is loved by his teammates, he is after all their Captain. He always thanks them for being there in supporting roles but make no mistake they always know who the MVP is. I just wish the other parents understood this as well. Instead some might put unnecessary pressure on their sons to play at the same level as my son. I think this is unfair to the kids and this is the point I am trying to get across. Again I am sorry if this is coming across as arrogance I assure you that is not my intent.
                I fully understand what you're going through. My son is also the superstar of his team, there's European scouts at every game wanting to take him away and he never gets any time for himself cause they're starting to show up at practices now. I just don't have the time to go through all of the contracts that are handed to me. Now he's getting mobbed by sponsoring contracts as well, it just never ends. We need help cause we don't quite know how to handle this, do we go for Adidas or Nike, Pepsi or Coca-Cola. It's quite stressful.

Also it's a pain in the rear when after each game he's swamped with mobs of girls and other people trying to get his autograph. It's very difficult to leave after the games and quite often we get stuck for hours in the parking lot trying to plot our getaway from his pesky fans. One day we even had to stay overnight and sleep in the men's bathroom of a public facility cause the fans were getting violent and wouldn't leave him alone. We have many ripped jerseys as proof of this.

He also now getting many calls from Victoria's Secret models begging him to be seen with him in public. It seems everybody wants a piece of him. I don't think he's ready for all this attention and our family is not prepared for this.

It's not our fault our son is so talented. He scores almost every goal on his team. He's the MVP in every single game and any goals scored by any of his other teammates don't count if the ball doesn't pass through my son or gives the assist. His team loves him so much and a couple of kids already have a shrine in their spare bedroom at their house and started many fan clubs worldwide on my son's behalf to handle fan mail etc.

I'm glad this thread came along cause we need some advice as how to handle this. I hope this doesn't come off as arrogance cause we really need some help.

Comment

What age is your kid ? If he is humble and you are humble he will have the chance to make everyone else on his team better. If you are humble other parents wont be jealous they will just be happy to have you and your son around. Believe me I have been living that for 3 years now. My family and my son get along great with everyone on the team.
                  Wow buddy you are sounding just as bad as that guy. Are you also saying that your kid is also some young Messi? and that you have been under some distress the last three years.

Comment

Exactly my point, you understand perfectly. Is your son elite too?
                    I don't know what you mean by elite. But, yes, for his age, I have seen only a handful of attacking midfielders that are at his level. Don't know if that means elite or what the heck it means. It means he's good now but may not be good tomorrow. This is a sport that requires humility. As soon as you start thinking you're an "MVP," you are a goner. The game begins and ends with the team.

Comment

I don't know what you mean by elite. But, yes, for his age, I have seen only a handful of attacking midfielders that are at his level. Don't know if that means elite or what the heck it means. It means he's good now but may not be good tomorrow. This is a sport that requires humility. As soon as you start thinking you're an "MVP," you are a goner. The game begins and ends with the team.
                      Trust me if your kid was elite you would know what it is. Again I am not bashing I am just stating the obvious, there is elite and then everyone else. Its not a knock on anybody.

Comment

"MVP"? Most Valuable Player or Most Valuable Parent.....Honestly I think I'm both.

Comment

"MVP"? Most Valuable Player or Most Valuable Parent.....Honestly I think I'm both.
                          What age are we talking about ??

Comment

Trust me if your kid was elite you would know what it is. Again I am not bashing I am just stating the obvious, there is elite and then everyone else. Its not a knock on anybody.
                            well, he's not DA age yet, but the DA coaches know who he is and have him on their radar. I was told by several legit Spanish coaches that I trust that he could quite easily play in most Spanish youth systems. So, I don't know if that makes him "elite" or not. For me, elite may mean something different. For me, elite is potentially playing in Europe. Maybe my kid is DA quality but would not be able to play for the real Madrid youth system. So, maybe we have different definitions....I am not talking about scoring lots of goals in the palm beach league, or winning west pines...that's not "elite" to me.

Comment

Or, to put it to you another way, to me, La Masia is elite level. Is your kid playing at La Masia? I don't think so. If he isn't, he's just another good Florida player. nothing wrong with that but I don't consider that to be elite.

Comment

Or, to put it to you another way, to me, La Masia is elite level. Is your kid playing at La Masia? I don't think so. If he isn't, he's just another good Florida player. nothing wrong with that but I don't consider that to be elite.
                                I will not disclose that information, suffice to say he is better than most.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X