Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I call BS. College coaches are paid to win games - that's it. They will try and find the best talent to fill their rosters no matter where it comes from. Their bias is winning not anti US based players. Again, compete don't complain.
    Is it fair for a 17 year old amateur to have to compete against a 23 year old former professional?

Comment

I call BS. College coaches are paid to win games - that's it. They will try and find the best talent to fill their rosters no matter where it comes from. Their bias is winning not anti US based players. Again, compete don't complain.
      Perphaps we need something similar to affirmative action. There are extra incentives in this country for minorities for example. In the NFL, you have to interview minorities before you can hire a coach.

Perhaps we should require colleges to give a certain amount of scholarships to US players. Otherwise the trend may never correct itself. Many US kids will pass on soccer because there is no future. Give the US kids a break until we catch up and then some things could be removed.

This was the thought behind giving advantages to African Americans in the US.

Comment

interesting article http://pinetreewatchdog.org/state-un...onal-students/

Comment

There is nothing wrong w/ a 22 yr old freshmen in college. I happens more than you think. What if a kid went to the Military and then after getting discharged wanted to play D-1 college and was good enough to get a scholarship?

The problem is if the 22 yr old or higher played PROFESSIONALLY and got PAID, which makes them technically NO longer an amateur. NOW we have a problem.

Also what if the 22 yr old just got out of jail. Look at Fresno State Men's basketball when Tarkanian was there LOL! I know they have paid their debt but there is just something not right about a person being released from Prison getting a scholarship over a high school graduate

Get granular people and look where the REAL problems are. Don't worry about the age as you may be cutting off some of our own kids on that route.
          I have no problems with that but not when you are 26-27-28 years old playing 18-19 years old. One such player is OK but Lynn has a whole squad of them. I do not know how it works with foreign players. I know in the US you have 5 years to play 4 years so really you should not be more than 23 or 24 years old in your senior year

Comment

Most top Europe clubs offer an education payment for the players they cut at 18 and up . They even arrange tryouts and bring out US college coaches .Anfield home of Liverpool hosts one of the biggest in 2013 over a hundred players from all over Europe tried out .
            Just a thought if you were to stop colleges bringing in overseas players shouldn't you ban all foreign students after all what's the difference between an a academic or athletic spot in school .

Comment

I have no problems with that but not when you are 26-27-28 years old playing 18-19 years old. One such player is OK but Lynn has a whole squad of them. I do not know how it works with foreign players. I know in the US you have 5 years to play 4 years so really you should not be more than 23 or 24 years old in your senior year
              unless u started at 22

Comment

Some foreign countries fund scholarship. My son played with a guy from Saudi Arabia. His scholarship was funded by the Saudi Royal Family and did not impact the athletic department.

Comment

Is it fair for a 17 year old amateur to have to compete against a 23 year old former professional?
                  If the rules allow it, then yes it is fair. Don't like it? Don't blame coaches for doing everything in their power within the rules to win. Take you're case to the NCAA and get the rules changed.

Good luck

Comment

Why is there such pressure to win that you have to bring in foreign kids. It is a college team, not a professional team. I can understand the pressure to win at football as it is revenue generator. But sadly most don't care about soccer so don't understand why the pressure.

Comment

Why is there such pressure to win that you have to bring in foreign kids. It is a college team, not a professional team. I can understand the pressure to win at football as it is revenue generator. But sadly most don't care about soccer so don't understand why the pressure.
                      Because if your the coach of a losing program you lose your job .

Comment

What world do you live in? If you are in cell phone sales - it's not saving lives or terribly important in the big scheme of things but if you don't produce results guess what - yep, you lose your job.

Comment

Because if your the coach of a losing program you lose your job .
                          Only half of the coaches can have a winning record, right?

Comment

Yep unlike club soccer , where coaches and DOCs hardly ever get fired , college coaches tend to not last very long when losing .
                            Schools need to project a winning image to recruit not just athletes but academic students as well .

Comment

Is this even a serious question?

It's SPORT. COMPETITION. Winning is pretty much the entire point of playing a match.

Comment

unless u started at 22
                                I am no means an NCAA expert but the clock starts ticking when you graduate HS. You have five years to play 4 years of college sports other than medical redshirts and other circumstances.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X