Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Foreign Kids on FL College Rosters

I looked through the rosters of the colleges in Florida and most have an overwhelming percentage of foreign players. It looked like 25% was about the smallest percentage that I saw and there were some over 90% foreign.

My question is if they are only allowed 9 scholarships, how do they pay for all of these foreign kids to come here?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I looked through the rosters of the colleges in Florida and most have an overwhelming percentage of foreign players. It looked like 25% was about the smallest percentage that I saw and there were some over 90% foreign.

My question is if they are only allowed 9 scholarships, how do they pay for all of these foreign kids to come here?
    they get the scholarships. Your tax dollars pay for a foreign national to play soccer on a college team

Comment

they get the scholarships. Your tax dollars pay for a foreign national to play soccer on a college team
      with the talent we have in the US, this is outrageous

Comment

it is true there have been a couple bills in congress to address the problem of foreign nationals getting tax payer funded scholarships. But they have not come up for a vote

Comment

You just discovered the dirty, little of college soccer. While some coach is trying to convince to attend one of his/her camps, they are out actively recruiting these players. It is particularly bad at the D2 level where background checks are virtually non-existent. Check out the ages of these payers (when available). A 22 year old freshman? Many have played professionally at some level. When that does not work out, off the to the USA for a paid, college education. A few years ago, the two best palyers at Univ. Tampa were foreign players, ages 25 and 27, when they graudated. You do the math

Comment

You just discovered the dirty, little of college soccer. While some coach is trying to convince to attend one of his/her camps, they are out actively recruiting these players. It is particularly bad at the D2 level where background checks are virtually non-existent. Check out the ages of these payers (when available). A 22 year old freshman? Many have played professionally at some level. When that does not work out, off the to the USA for a paid, college education. A few years ago, the two best palyers at Univ. Tampa were foreign players, ages 25 and 27, when they graudated. You do the math
            Tampa is a private school so the money is not from tax payers.

Comment

You mean the UT mafia took those foreign adult men over kids from TBU families that lined their pockets for years?!? Blasphemy!

Comment

Tampa is a private school so the money is not from tax payers.
                wrong they receive and accept federal money they are taxpayer supported.

Comment

The worst offender for this is Lynn University that won a D-II title with mostly foreign Germans that were graduates with an average age of 25. There is a big difference between a 25 year old and 18-19 year old physically.

With that said I do not have a problem with foreign player as long as they are of the same age as your average college player 18-22 and the NCAA should fix this

I also think many college coaches are prejudiced and think kid is from Europe so he must be better

Comment

There is nothing wrong w/ a 22 yr old freshmen in college. I happens more than you think. What if a kid went to the Military and then after getting discharged wanted to play D-1 college and was good enough to get a scholarship?

The problem is if the 22 yr old or higher played PROFESSIONALLY and got PAID, which makes them technically NO longer an amateur. NOW we have a problem.

Also what if the 22 yr old just got out of jail. Look at Fresno State Men's basketball when Tarkanian was there LOL! I know they have paid their debt but there is just something not right about a person being released from Prison getting a scholarship over a high school graduate

Get granular people and look where the REAL problems are. Don't worry about the age as you may be cutting off some of our own kids on that route.

Comment

maybe if the USA produced better soccer players, the colleges wouldn't need foreign nationals to compete.

Comment

maybe if the USA produced better soccer players, the colleges wouldn't need foreign nationals to compete.
                        Sounds like everyone on this thread is afraid of and wants to limit competition. The world is a competitive place and the kids should get used to it. The colleges owe them nothing, go earn it. This whining is unproductive. If you're not good enough - work harder and get better.

Comment

Sounds like everyone on this thread is afraid of and wants to limit competition. The world is a competitive place and the kids should get used to it. The colleges owe them nothing, go earn it. This whining is unproductive. If you're not good enough - work harder and get better.
                          The US does produce soccer players that are good enough to fill college rosters. It is a question of perception. Thus, the point of this thread. Not to whine, but to help change a bias.

Comment

I think the original question is how are they able to get so many foreigners. The schools are only allowed 9 scholarships and have 25 to 40 kids on the roster.

Is it easier to get foreign kids academic money or something?

Comment

The US does produce soccer players that are good enough to fill college rosters. It is a question of perception. Thus, the point of this thread. Not to whine, but to help change a bias.
                              I call BS. College coaches are paid to win games - that's it. They will try and find the best talent to fill their rosters no matter where it comes from. Their bias is winning not anti US based players. Again, compete don't complain.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X