Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    If you keep saying it enough, you might really believe it. I have a couple of degrees. If my daughter wants to play fine, but I am not sugar coating anything. And corporations care about a well rounded person, but only if the candidates education is equal. So if your daughter goes to some third rate school with a phys ed degree, while mine has an engineering degree from UF. I know who will get picked, because I work in that environment. But keep thinking your way.
    ^^ This is very clarifying. Another born and raised Floridian who think UF is the creme-de-la-creme in education. Funny that the reputation of UF or any giant mega state school like Georgia, Texas, Nebraska etc comes from where? The sports programs- particularly football.

To a guy like this- "smaller" means "inferior". What a joke.

Comment

Forbes Article on Power Women Play Team Sports

Thought this might be relevant:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jennagou...n-indra-nooyi/

Comment

awesome.

Comment

If you keep saying it enough, you might really believe it. I have a couple of degrees. If my daughter wants to play fine, but I am not sugar coating anything. And corporations care about a well rounded person, but only if the candidates education is equal. So if your daughter goes to some third rate school with a phys ed degree, while mine has an engineering degree from UF. I know who will get picked, because I work in that environment. But keep thinking your way.
          Wow...an engineering degree from UF. Step aside and let the Harvard of Florida by. Please, try taking that degree north of South Carolina. UCF, FSU, FIU, UF, whatever..... let the girl go to the school she prefers, if it's not truly a first tier academic institution....it really won't matter. Go have fun.

Comment

Back half of Top 50

Pretty easy to find if you start from the bottom and work your way backwards to #40...

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-b...ls-2014-4?op=1

Comment

Not bashing at all, I feel if these kids truly want to continue their athletics into college great for them and great for the parents if it is a means to help pay for college. But as someone who has hired many an applicant in professional firms, including engineering, I must say that looking at their gpa's, school they attended and any practical experience (ie internships, job experiences in the real world etc.) would far outweigh whether they played sports in college. In fact, I don't ever remember hiring someone factoring in their sports background. I may consider it as demonstrating possible teamwork attributes, but it would be further down the list. With all things being equal (ie not needing the sports scholarship money to help pay for college), my opinion would be that the time spent on sports in college may serve many students better by increasing their gpa and by getting practical experience through part time employment or internships. Of course there are always exceptions, but the vast majority I feel would fall under the above. Tough decisions and what works for one may not work out for others. Best wishes to all.

Comment

Not bashing at all, I feel if these kids truly want to continue their athletics into college great for them and great for the parents if it is a means to help pay for college. But as someone who has hired many an applicant in professional firms, including engineering, I must say that looking at their gpa's, school they attended and any practical experience (ie internships, job experiences in the real world etc.) would far outweigh whether they played sports in college. In fact, I don't ever remember hiring someone factoring in their sports background. I may consider it as demonstrating possible teamwork attributes, but it would be further down the list. With all things being equal (ie not needing the sports scholarship money to help pay for college), my opinion would be that the time spent on sports in college may serve many students better by increasing their gpa and by getting practical experience through part time employment or internships. Of course there are always exceptions, but the vast majority I feel would fall under the above. Tough decisions and what works for one may not work out for others. Best wishes to all.
                Always interesting to have someone whose kid doesn't get recruited pontificate on "why playing college sports really isn't a big deal".

there's relatively few kids who ever appear on a D1 roster. getting there in the first place make them elite athletes. It takes dedication and work most can only develop in their twenties, if ever. And the fact is that soccer coaches look for grades and intelligence as much as talent on the field.

Comment

Always interesting to have someone whose kid doesn't get recruited pontificate on "why playing college sports really isn't a big deal".

there's relatively few kids who ever appear on a D1 roster. getting there in the first place make them elite athletes. It takes dedication and work most can only develop in their twenties, if ever. And the fact is that soccer coaches look for grades and intelligence as much as talent on the field.
                  You can't say "pontificate" on TS. Now everyone is going to websters to get the definition. What were you thinking? This will cause a cataclysmic effect in the TS world never seen before. Think before you write on this post again mister, mister... man.

Comment

You can't say "pontificate" on TS. Now everyone is going to websters to get the definition. What were you thinking? This will cause a cataclysmic effect in the TS world never seen before. Think before you write on this post again mister, mister... man.
                    Will do... how about "bloviate"?

Comment

I'm Mr...and I didn't post that...you are confused...

Comment

Will do... how about "bloviate"?
                        Though bloviate is a good word and is quite applicable for some of these threads since some folks like to go on and on about the same things. I personally thinks it's a bit over the top for this forum?

Comment

Though bloviate is a good word and is quite applicable for some of these threads since some folks like to go on and on about the same things. I personally thinks it's a bit over the top for this forum?
                          Geez, no "pontificate", no "bloviate"... I'm out of ammo.

Comment

What do you say

Can we get back to what this thread was started about? U17 girls teams. What say you?

Comment

Yes let's talk about U-17's TBU's at USYS nationals. I think they'll need more than a fantastic goal keeper to win a game.

Comment

Can we get back to what this thread was started about? U17 girls teams. What say you?
                                Essentially there are 4-5 teams in the State who will realistically vie for the State Cup. The rest will play in State Cup for the sake of saying they were in it. The top 5 teams are above the rest by a lot though even in the top 5 there is some disparities. So perhaps maybe even just 3 are State Cup contenders this year.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X