X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uncommitted 2021s

Let’s discuss, is there any hope?

Apply to the school(s) you love and hope for a walk on spot. That's your hope. There's always club teams too.

In all seriousness it's either done or close to done for all programs. Most coaches moved on awhile ago, especially big programs, to next year and beyond. Maybe some small programs, especially D3, will still take a player or two.They either

- had already locked in or identified the all key players they wanted before last spring
    - had already locked in or identified some key players they wanted and filled the rest with film, phone calls etc
    - have decided to go with smaller classes for this year
    - have filled in with some returning 5th years or transfers

Plenty of student athletes deferred or red shirted a year which means they'll be vying for PT as "freshmen" as well. There will be ripple effects for awhile.

Also athletes almost always have to apply Early Decision or Early Action. Those applications are due Nov 1- Jan 1. In other words, now. The dead period got moved out to to April, there's almost no showcases and with travel restrictions not many coaches can or want to travel. No ID events either because colleges don't want cases possibly coming on campus.

Even in normal times if you're not recruited this late in the fall it's pretty late. Covid just made it so much harder. The 22s should be ok but their timelines are definitely messed up. Stay healthy and hope things resume in April.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Apply to the school(s) you love and hope for a walk on spot. That's your hope. There's always club teams too.

In all seriousness it's either done or close to done for all programs. Most coaches moved on awhile ago, especially big programs, to next year and beyond. Maybe some small programs, especially D3, will still take a player or two.They either

- had already locked in or identified the all key players they wanted before last spring
      - had already locked in or identified some key players they wanted and filled the rest with film, phone calls etc
      - have decided to go with smaller classes for this year
      - have filled in with some returning 5th years or transfers

Plenty of student athletes deferred or red shirted a year which means they'll be vying for PT as "freshmen" as well. There will be ripple effects for awhile.

Also athletes almost always have to apply Early Decision or Early Action. Those applications are due Nov 1- Jan 1. In other words, now. The dead period got moved out to to April, there's almost no showcases and with travel restrictions not many coaches can or want to travel. No ID events either because colleges don't want cases possibly coming on campus.

Even in normal times if you're not recruited this late in the fall it's pretty late. Covid just made it so much harder. The 22s should be ok but their timelines are definitely messed up. Stay healthy and hope things resume in April.
      Most of that is simply incorrect. Unless maybe you are only talking about Div 1. Which, very few on this board if any, need to worry about. There are plenty of coaches non-Div 1 that will still be looking, offering, getting aid for plenty of players. They in no way need to be early decision applicants.

Comment

There are some really good 2021s out there that get missed because they don’t have the glorious ECNL or GAL patch on their sleeve. Some of these girls could be huge playmakers

Comment

There are some really good 2021s out there that get missed because they don’t have the glorious ECNL or GAL patch on their sleeve. Some of these girls could be huge playmakers
          Wrong. If a good player gets missed, its because they and their coach are not getting them in front of the coaches thry need to. Video is more popular than ever. It can even be practice. Just because you don't play ecnl or anything else is irrelevant. That just dumb. People always to blame something else or make excuses instead of doing the work.

Comment

Wrong. If a good player gets missed, its because they and their coach are not getting them in front of the coaches thry need to. Video is more popular than ever. It can even be practice. Just because you don't play ecnl or anything else is irrelevant. That just dumb. People always to blame something else or make excuses instead of doing the work.
            ^^^^^ This right here.

This poster gets it. If a player gets missed it’s not on the college coach. It’s on the player, their club coach and DOC.

Comment

^^^^^ This right here.

This poster gets it. If a player gets missed it’s not on the college coach. It’s on the player, their club coach and DOC.
              You both get it. If you actually talk to college coaches, the kids they recruit are the ones that reach out to them individually or through their coach and express an interest in the school and their soccer program. You then attend their camps and continue to try to build a relationship. There are, of course, kids that are identified by scouts and assistant coaches that get interest is well, but ultimately its up to the player to reach out and express interest. And not through a recruiting service, that doesn't work.

Comment

Most of that is simply incorrect. Unless maybe you are only talking about Div 1. Which, very few on this board if any, need to worry about. There are plenty of coaches non-Div 1 that will still be looking, offering, getting aid for plenty of players. They in no way need to be early decision applicants.
                Nope coaches want to know who will be on their roster which includes making sure the athlete gets admitted. If you're not applying until Jan/Feb and don't hear back until March, even April, what does he do if you don't get in? What if more than one he was counting on don't get in? EA demonstrates you're really interested in the school and program. Coaches have very little sway with D3 admissions offices and most schools won't bend very much on their admission standards for athletes. Since ED requires a legal commitment coaches won't put that at hard for that but will Early Action. Most EA applicants hear by the first of the year. Many D3s will give a pre read the summer before senior year for "likely to admit" so the athlete and coach can have some assurances, but it's never final until it's final

D2 academics tend to be lower so as long as you haven't totally screwed around in high school most should get admitted. Lowe level D1s at this point may take a few but that means they see you more as a practice player, not one of their top recruits, and there will be no $. If you have really good grades you could get some decent merit$, or if your family qualifies for decent financial aid that helps too.

Comment

Granted Covid has made it harder - no showcases or ID events - but it's up to players to market themselves with or without covid. Non ECNL players can and do get recruited (there's many more slots out there than there are ECNL graduates each year) but it will take more work to get in front of them. But what also matters is that you've targeted correctly. To catch the eye of a top program you have to be very special if you're not in a top league. Aim a bit lower, however, and there should be interest. If you didn't target right you've wasted a lot of effort and will be scrambling to recalibrate. If you have been making the effort - emailing coaches, sending film, having your club put in a good word - and aren't hearing back that means they're either done for that class or aren't interested.

Comment

Email Email Email the key ...... During Covid be active while they all shelter in place and isolate.

Comment

They should of worked harder in the academic end, all the money these parents gave to these worthless clubs did not pan out.

Comment

Would you rather buy your groceries at one store and move on with your day to day life or go to a bunch of different stores to get what you need wasting time and travel? Same thing with ECNL. GA? It's brand new. Come back in a few years and tell me how it is. For now, it's ECNL.

Comment

Would you rather buy your groceries at one store and move on with your day to day life or go to a bunch of different stores to get what you need wasting time and travel? Same thing with ECNL. GA? It's brand new. Come back in a few years and tell me how it is. For now, it's ECNL.
                          I would rather buy my groceries from many different places. Most stores have curb side pick up. Order online and they will bring it out to the car. Sometime I prefer to go inside. I am a pretty decent couponer and, I save a good chunk of change. Most importantly I enjoy the time with my 13 year old. We get to talk and kinda hang out. She love help mom with grocery shopping.

Comment

I would rather buy my groceries from many different places. Most stores have curb side pick up. Order online and they will bring it out to the car. Sometime I prefer to go inside. I am a pretty decent couponer and, I save a good chunk of change. Most importantly I enjoy the time with my 13 year old. We get to talk and kinda hang out. She love help mom with grocery shopping.
                            Coaches have limited time and travel budgets. Even more so now with schools making big cuts. They need to shop where they get the most bang for their buck. What is a coach saving going to multiple places? He still needs to spend his scholarship regardless of where he found a player. Your analogy is pointless. The time and gas you spend saving a few bucks here and there probably doesn't even pay for itself.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                            Auto-Saved
                            x
                            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                            x
                            Working...
                            X