Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Look...I’m not going to quibble over the semantics of which schools give “academic money” and which don’t. However, there are plenty of high level schools (example: Georgetown, Duke, Notre Dame, MIT) that basically work like the Ivys as far as academic based financial aid. Sure, there are outside scholarships a student can apply for and obtain via local or even national organizations. The vast majority of these are smaller (say 1-3k a year) that will minimally help offset the real cost of attending these schools that are all in the neighborhood of 70k a year and up.

They really only offer “need based” aid to Significantly offset tuition fees for people who need it.

“Georgetown Undergraduate Scholarships
    Each year Georgetown University awards several hundred need-based scholarships to eligible undergraduates. Individual awards range in value from $1,000 to more than $60,000 per year, depending on the student’s financial need. In addition to small loan and work-study awards, these scholarships meet 100% of eligible undergraduates’ demonstrated financial need.

A portion of the scholarship assistance Georgetown awards to eligible undergraduates is funded by the generous gifts of University benefactors. Without this support from alumni and friends of the University, Georgetown would not be able to continue to meet the full financial need of all our aid applicants. Named GU & NHS Scholarship awards are given to students who are eligible for Georgetown scholarship assistance who meet the additional selection preferences specified by the donors.

Georgetown University is able to meet the full demonstrated financial need of every student through the generosity of our many donors. We would like to thank the following donors for partnering with us to help our students achieve their dreams.

By applying for financial aid at Georgetown, students are considered for these scholarships. There is no additional application process.”

So...besides the above Georgetown offers the “1789 Scholarship” to undergraduates that provides a whopping 3k a year toward student loan relief to help retain “The very best students.” Lolol

Everything else out of the financial aid department is very niche oriented or for grad students.
    Great info, my child just had there interview with Georgetown. We will see what we qualify for

Comment

Great info, my child just had there interview with Georgetown. We will see what we qualify for
      Good luck, they'll end up knowing more about your financial situation than even you do...and then they give you the damage report. Those type of schools do provide an "estimator" that uses only a few financial metrics (not the complete comprehensive records they use in final determination) and the estimator is pretty much in the ball park of the final tuition number.

Comment

Easy two of them are d3 which is academic only and I’m banking on the Georgetown to be academic as well. As far as the FSU, did daddy coach do that? I’m am banking on that too. Probably just a walk on after seeing the depth FSU has .
        yes.that's correct.

Comment

yes.that's correct.
          What is correct, specifically?

Comment

That the majority of posters on this thread never went to college let alone played a college sport. Feel bad for all your kids.

Comment

That the majority of posters on this thread never went to college let alone played a college sport. Feel bad for all your kids.
              Ok. Thanks.

Comment

Who signed NLI?

I saw
                Emory
                FSU
                Georgetown
                Brandeis

Are those 4 it for the the senior class?
                Emory and Brandeis don't have a NLI. So those two don't count.

Comment

The daddy coach part. That is what I commented on being correct.

Comment

I’m with the u19s and the girls committed are due to academics , not soccer skills
                    We still have half a season but it’s going to be tough especially with the lack of showcases due to covid
                    All age grow should start pressing coach and AH to focus on college soccer commitments sooner than later

Any thoughts?
                    College Coaches have a academic marker they need to hit regarding their team GPA. They also have a team graduation marker as well. Because scholarship money is limited and not 100%, they recruit girls that can also qualify for academic money/grants too. Then of course character is important. Their was a south Florida girl that didn’t last one month and was sent home from a Div 1 team (Conf USA) this September. She couldn’t follow the team and school rules. Get educated parents, its not all 1st touches!

Comment

Easy two of them are d3 which is academic only and I’m banking on the Georgetown to be academic as well. As far as the FSU, did daddy coach do that? I’m am banking on that too. Probably just a walk on after seeing the depth FSU has .
                      daddy coach cant get his kid committed. stop being a hater

Comment

College soccer

Been here on the guys side...receivedoffers fromjuco to D1. Ultimately decided to attend top engineerig school who does not have soccer.

Remember most college teams carry 35-40 players on their roster. Women in D1 and II are allowed 14 full scholarships. Men are allowed 9. None in D3. Juco and NAIA have looser rules but tend to be schools with less financial endowments. Any way you look at it, few if any players get any full athletic scholarship for soccer. Coaches thus rely on academics and needs based when offering financial packages. My kids D1 offer was for a full academic scholarship not a soccer scholarship. This was based on SAT scores, high school GPA and AP SCORES.

Comment

People let’s get something straight. Top 50 recruits are getting full athletic d1 offers everyone else might get offers like that from d2 schools otherwise academic and financial aid play a big part in recruiting. Simple as that

Comment

Been here on the guys side...receivedoffers fromjuco to D1. Ultimately decided to attend top engineerig school who does not have soccer.

Remember most college teams carry 35-40 players on their roster. Women in D1 and II are allowed 14 full scholarships. Men are allowed 9. None in D3. Juco and NAIA have looser rules but tend to be schools with less financial endowments. Any way you look at it, few if any players get any full athletic scholarship for soccer. Coaches thus rely on academics and needs based when offering financial packages. My kids D1 offer was for a full academic scholarship not a soccer scholarship. This was based on SAT scores, high school GPA and AP SCORES.
                            Girls D1 rosters are typically between 27-30 players.

Comment

College soccer

Even at 30, they dont get full. The 14 for women's programs are for fully funded programs. Most are not fully funded except for the perennial powerhouses. Mens is 35 - 40 so the 9 is even smaller amount thus relying on academic money to scholarship players. Saw stat most women team freshmen may get max of 1/4 scholarship.

Comment

You need to stop educating people because you are clueless and never ever played college soccer

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X