Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Like I said, you keep pushing that theory. Being condescending and dismissive will definitely help your pain.

I'm sorry that I never had to experience some success through my child. [insert eye roll]
    Wouldn't your child need to be successful in order to experience it through them?

Don't worry. Those of use that have successful student athletes are doing just fine.

Thanks for your concern! Have a great weekend.

(BTW.....I went for sarcasm this time. Tried to stay away from being condescending or dismissive)

Comment

Lemme guess………you’re the type that thinks a UF degree is more valuable than a degree from FIU! Unless your degree is from an Ivy League school, Stanford, Vandy, MIT, Duke, or Northwestern 99% of employers don’t really care. Ask your HR dept. Having no student loans is the key. If a scholarship to East Tennessee State or anywhere else helps accomplish that then good for that kid.
      Having a degree from a top school opens far more opportunities in school and once outside - better research opportunities, internships, fist jobs and vast alumni networks. Yes those without "fancy" degrees can find success, but you'll start out much higher on the ladder and with more doors open coming from a stronger school. There's plenty of 5 and 10 year post grad salary data out there proving that.

Comment

Ahh...human resources. Where we put the low-paying retards that cannot produce. HR hires no one except its own people. And from your grammar, I seriously doubt that you are a director of anything.
        Next time you apply for a job or go in for an interview, please do expound on your feeling for HR. And please do not be the grammar police if you are not using proper grammar yourself.

Comment

Next time you apply for a job or go in for an interview, please do expound on your feeling for HR. And please do not be the grammar police if you are not using proper grammar yourself.
          LOL. You sound just like my last HR manager that was summarily dismissed for being equally as stupid. HR is not a revenue generator, it is an expense. Do your job, keep expenses low, and STFU.

PS - when you own the company, there are no more applications or interviews.

Comment

The school for the undergrad counts regarding ones FIRST job and or Grad School, Law School or Medical School applications.

After your first job the next job is based on the person's experience and performance in the real world.

So, the real question one needs to be concerned with in regards to selecting a undergrad school is what career path is most likely.

Many careers simply do not require a "fancy" school. It would be silly to go to Duke to become a teacher simply because the money spent at Duke would be a significant investment for the ROI.

Engineering, Business, Law, Medical, Media/Communications/Journalism, the Arts can all benefit from more prestigious undergrad schools.

Careers in academia would also require prestigious undergrad programs in order to be accepted into prestigious grad programs.

But beyond the few above mentioned post college life everything is a wash so go where the hell you want to go and enjoy the OVERALL experience.

Comment

^I generally agree and would like to add that if you're pretty sure you'll be going to grad school, get the undergrad degree form a solid but affordable school. Come out with as little debt as possible so you can afford the name brand grad school. Spend your $ wisely, get the most bang for your buck

Comment

Not blind nor clueless. Just a realest. I am fortunate enough to have a kid that is a good soccer player and an exceptional student. It’s cool and all to receive athletic offers, however, my kid doesn’t need financial help from athletics. Im hoping that when the opportunity comes my kid chooses a college for its academics before it’s athletics.
                What do you consider exceptional?

Comment

LOL. You sound just like my last HR manager that was summarily dismissed for being equally as stupid. HR is not a revenue generator, it is an expense. Do your job, keep expenses low, and STFU.

PS - when you own the company, there are no more applications or interviews.
                  Wow, seriously you have won douche bag of the thread...very impressive. I honestly feel sorry for your family, co-workers and anyone who has to interact with you in person

Comment

What do you consider exceptional?
                    GPA well above 4.

Comment

GPA well above 4.
                      At an academically rigorous high school? Hard to compare apples to oranges and outside of FL, FL schools are not highly regarded by college admissions offices, only some. A 4.0 at an average FL public HS won't carry the same weight as one from MA or many of the nation's better private schools. That's why standardized tests - despite their flaws - help level the playing field. There just aren't any this application year so it's going to be interesting to see how admissions pan out.

Comment

Wow, seriously you have won douche bag of the thread...very impressive. I honestly feel sorry for your family, co-workers and anyone who has to interact with you in person
                        I get it. The truth hurts.

You keep living through your child and waiting for that paycheck to clear.

Comment

I see the schools these players are committed to and it makes me scratch my head. Sure there are some D1 schools but are you happy with the school academically? Has anyone on this board besides myself prepaid for their kids college? I mean it’s cool and all to be recruited by a D1 school and all but you have to be able to get a job once you are done with college. I’m thinking I’m taking my kid to the Chargers next season just to make sure they don’t get recruited. I don’t want my kid to get any ideas. My kid can just use their academic scholarship to a quality college and take their chances walking on.
                          Instead of taking your kid to the chargers to make sure "they don't get recruited" if they're good enough, how about taking your kid to an ECNL team so they can have a chance to get recruited from a college that you find acceptable? Obviously it sounds like the academic part is not going to be the issue. It might be hard for you to fathom, but some kids can actually strive for the college and the soccer components simultaneously. It sounds like you're the one who can't handle it.

Comment

^I generally agree and would like to add that if you're pretty sure you'll be going to grad school, get the undergrad degree form a solid but affordable school. Come out with as little debt as possible so you can afford the name brand grad school. Spend your $ wisely, get the most bang for your buck
                            Debt won't matter since the Joey Plugs and Cameltoe Harris admin will forgive it all, pandering to future voters. run up those bills while you have the chance!!!

Comment

Instead of taking your kid to the chargers to make sure "they don't get recruited" if they're good enough, how about taking your kid to an ECNL team so they can have a chance to get recruited from a college that you find acceptable? Obviously it sounds like the academic part is not going to be the issue. It might be hard for you to fathom, but some kids can actually strive for the college and the soccer components simultaneously. It sounds like you're the one who can't handle it.
                              The poster doesn't seem to realize there's a lot of top quality D1 academic schools. There's also some D3 programs that are as good as low level D1 teams (but D3 programs don't go very deep). Like you said doesn't have to be either / or. There are many options for good academics and sports.

The poster also shouldn't assume he knows everything about each family's situation (maybe it's the only way they can afford college) and maybe the athlete isn't a good student. In other words he shouldn't be such a snob and be happy kids found places that are a good fit for them

Comment

I get it. The truth hurts.

You keep living through your child and waiting for that paycheck to clear.
                                This guy is right, your the guy that gets punched in the face as a kid because you think your better then everyone else , same for your kid, they probably get beat up too

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X